Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-24-2017, 01:34 PM   #1
Almost There

ok he messed up my tank install.

Ok the last few frames are my fingers, looks weird.

So the toilet is ACE perfect.
We went to put the tank up and blammo, the install guy gave up and quit.
turns out he was just a pretend worker plumber.

The connector I can use flexible PVC, but its now a very weird drop. almost sideways? can it go sideways?

Should I just pay $300 for a custom tank with the drop near or almost near the inlet?

Yes there is now a muffler tube close to the tank, but the tank will go up near 10 inches.

Its just a mess!

Jaybus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 02:07 PM   #2
Traveling

Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: '00
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybus2 View Post

Should I just pay $300 for a custom tank with the drop near or almost near the inlet?

Yes there is now a muffler tube close to the tank, but the tank will go up near 10 inches.

Its just a mess!
So, that tank is your black tank? Can't quite see in the video, but any chance of sliding tank back?

Shoot, I'd just leave it like it is and tell people to only use it on the highway.
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 02:26 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 24v
Rated Cap: 72 pax
What about capping the incorrect hole and adding a new one? Uniseal should do the trick.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Njsurf73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 02:33 PM   #4
Almost There

yeah I spent $2000 on the floor. its stunning.
now with a hole.

so I wonder if it goes down 3 inches then a right angle turn? then down the side and right angle into the tank>?

yes black water.

And now a 3 inch hole in my bus.

Solution is to math out how long a toilet line can go and not be straight down, you know right angles and 90 turns.

Solution 2 is put a furniture item there.
Old 08-24-2017, 02:57 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Chassis: Bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 24v
Rated Cap: 72 pax
I was talking about reposition the hole in the tank to match the hole in the floor.
But move the toilet over the tank and put the sink over the hole? Or a cabinet...

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Njsurf73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 02:59 PM   #6
Almost There

good idea. I wonder if it will flow with right angles? I had planned on a drop but messed it up good.
Old 08-24-2017, 03:46 PM   #7
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Coachwork: bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins, Allison AT1545
Rated Cap: 2
re-using an old tank is a pain in the ass.

imo - poo should not have to move sideways more than a few inches to your drain. idk that you need a custom tank, but one with out hole will make it easier to put yours where you want it.

with my bus, finding a place to hang the tank was the challenge. i made the bathroom straight above it.

to use what you have, you can probably glue a piece of abs over the tank hole and start over. cut out a 4" hole for a 3" uniseal and your waste pipe and you should have you patch for the other hole.

good luck
Old 08-24-2017, 03:50 PM   #8
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Coachwork: bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins, Allison AT1545
Rated Cap: 2
oh... and everyone that you hire will be the same for working on a bus. pro's don't work on rv's - 9 times out of 10

you got to find someone that that can read your mind, fix your mistakes, and not charge a fortune.
Old 08-24-2017, 03:51 PM   #9
Bus Nut

Year: 1986
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford
Engine: Detroit 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
Yes it will flow with a horizontal turn use the longest turn elbows you can fit in there but don't use the short/close radius elbows for pressurized water lines.
FERNCO is a brand name but they also make rubber elbows with hose clamps on the coupling ends that might be easier to use there with a piece of pipe on the horizontal.
Make sure you have a minimum of 1/8" per foot of slope/grade to the tank after the bus is loaded
You will have to ensure you park as close to level as you are when you plumb in the tank to ensure that slope
If you do go the FERNCO fitting route then you will need to support the fitting attached to the toilet end to make sure it doesn't pop loose on a bump or a big dump of toilet water.
Good luck
Jolly Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 01:23 PM   #10
Almost There

If going pure freshwater, can I rig some 1/2 inch plumbing to the toilet with a valve and a "T" over to the sink/shower?

I have a 55 gallon barrel that will get installed, soon...
For now it is going to a septic and not driven.
Old 08-27-2017, 03:02 PM   #11
Bus Geek

Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Opinions may differ somewhat....

Using a regular 90 or sweep will likely play reasonably well with a 1.6 gpf toilet but with RV toilets that accompany solid waste with a fraction of the water to "wash it down" you may find that any significant change in direction may cause issues.

IMHO: there IS good reason why you see RV toilets & black tanks arranged so that there is a straight drop from toilet to tank.

Just my $0.02
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 10:59 PM   #12
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Crown, integral. (With 2kW of tiltable solar)
Chassis: Crown Supercoach II (rear engine)
Engine: Detroit 6V92TAC, DDEC 2, Jake brake, Allison HT740
Rated Cap: 37,400 lbs GVWR
As Steve says, any time you ask an RV toilet to move "solids" sideways to the poo tank it will take more water, a lot more water, to prevent blockages. You really want a direct drop straight into the tank, even if only to help clean the inside of the tank with a flushing wand down the loo when needed. I use Uniseals for my fresh water tanks' gravity fill inlets in their top surfaces, and they seem to work well. Just remember to lubricate them so when you slide the pipe down inside them it won't dislodge them from the tank and push them down inside the tank itself - don't ask me how I know about that. And I'll let your imagination fill in the gaps about what lubricant works best . . .

The mark of a true busnut is how much time and effort he expends on matters excretionary. I'm always amused how often such subjects are discussed on the BCM forum. Thomas Crapper, of all the great Victorian inventors, you're my hero.

John
Iceni John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 08:22 AM   #13
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Thomsass
Chassis: FreightShaker
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 5 speed
Rated Cap: 2 ATV's and friends
Don't know how much room you have between the tank and floor, but two 45* elbows would work better than 90*s....your horizontal "sideways" pipe would be on an angle rather than straight across...another $.02 worth.

Straight up is the best.
REDD is offline   Reply With Quote