Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-24-2018, 10:47 AM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 1994
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DT408 6.7L L6
Rated Cap: 14
Pass through shower? Has anybody done this?

Good morning,
I have been postponed from my skoolie project to handle some home projects in order to clear out my garage for skoolie parts space. In the interim I have been working with my floor plan a bit.

My question is whether anyone has built a pass through shower or seen one in a bus. Obviously floor space is a premium, and in my 7 window, even more so (19 ft from driver to back). By building a pass through shower I can utilize the space as a hallway into my children's bunkroom. It also allows me to have a full height shower when I need to take one (it's in the center of the bus). Please take a look at my plan and give me reasons why this wouldn't work or I shouldn't do it.
Attached Thumbnails
plan.JPG  

Old 07-24-2018, 11:34 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E 7.3L
"Roll With It" on Youtube did this and under the emergency hatch. They seem to love it.
Johnny Mullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 12:17 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Ahh... I just watched their video. I initially was looking to find a way to make it fit under a hatch, but with all my higher priority requirements, I couldn't make it work. Thanks for directing me to that.
Old 07-24-2018, 08:37 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 1989
Chassis: International
Engine: 9.L
Rated Cap: 64
Its a really cool idea, but a shower in the center really limits space..put a skylight in the shower, thats tentatively my plan
mikeypj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 12:20 AM   #5
Bus Nut

Practically speaking, I wouldn't want to have to dry out the "hallway" after anyone used the shower.

I can think of one or two creative ways to create a drain/floor pan that will catch the water and still let people walk across it without tripping.
Mark_In_MA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 02:38 AM   #6
Skoolie

Coachwork: None yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Mullet View Post
"Roll With It" on Youtube did this and under the emergency hatch. They seem to love it.
Their videos are very good at getting clicks, something about the chick topless with her back to the camera in the preview thumbnail...
cycle61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 07:49 AM   #7
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_In_MA View Post
Practically speaking, I wouldn't want to have to dry out the "hallway" after anyone used the shower.

I can think of one or two creative ways to create a drain/floor pan that will catch the water and still let people walk across it without tripping.
Yeah, it's not the most spacious setup, but my thought process is this;

1) The showers at campgrounds/RV parks would be utilized when available,
2) An outdoor shower would be set up outside the rear door for when climate/surroundings permit,
3) In the event a shower was needed and the above options weren't available, the bunkroom behind the shower provides an area of relative privacy/space for drying and getting dressed.

My flooring plan is vinyl sheeting, and I could use vinyl baseboard often seen in commercial buildings to provide a waterproof "pan" in the bunk room, and excess water could be pushed out the back door.
Old 07-31-2018, 07:59 AM   #8
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeypj View Post
Its a really cool idea, but a shower in the center really limits space..put a skylight in the shower, thats tentatively my plan
I agree that would be great, not only for asthetics, but also for giving a bit more headroom. I had a thought about putting one of those bubble looking skylights in RV Skylight | Roof Dome | SL1414 , and crafting a showerhead out of copper tubing in the shape of a square so that it sits in the cutout for the skylight, this would be not only beautiful, but space saving. Kinda like this, but just a square.

Of course, that means another hole needs to be cut in the roof, and as the bunkroom does not currently have a hatch the way I have it laid out, I already need to cut one there (for ventilation). Definitely doable (I think I can dodge the ribs), and shouldn't add a whole lot to the budget.

Tags
shower