Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-15-2007, 09:09 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

plumbing question

I've never been a plumber before, unless you count snakin' a drain or plungin' a toilet. I have a few questions, and know ya'll are the experts.

1: 12 volt water pumps = do I need 1 for the sink, and another for shower? What about the toilet. I have a new Thetford with a foot flush.

2: I only have two tanks so far, 38 gallon Black water, and a 40 gallon fresh water. Does anyone have any schematics from a bus plumbing system?

deadhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 11:01 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03
If you have an RV type water pump it would be located right by the tank along with the pressure tank if you have one. If you are rigging something else up you will likely need a pressure switch and stuff, but you would still put it by the tank I would assume. There are on-demand type pumps that go at each faucet, but I think the general consensus on those is that they are convenient, but a dedicated water pump is a better route to go.

Hopefully some others will pipe in here because I can't reference my own water system all that much because I don't have a pump at all. My system uses a regulator and compressed air for silent water delivery at adjustable pressure. It works pretty well although I still need to tinker with it a little more. In the end it probably would have been cheaper or certainly no more expensive to go with a regular pump, but what the heck....I like to tinker.
Old 04-16-2007, 06:05 AM   #3
Almost There

Depends on how much water you intend to use at one time. A house with a well has 1 well pump with a pressure switch to control the pump and pressure tank to maintain constant pressure in the system. This feeds the entire house. We all know what happens if you are showering and someone flushes a toilet, RV is the same way.

I do not think I would try and run dual pumps and pressure tanks off of one storage tank, but I would have a set for each storage tank to keep the systems separate.
Old 04-16-2007, 08:25 AM   #4
Skoolie

Deadhead, will this help you out?

eggman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 09:16 AM   #5
Almost There

It certainly helps me out, I was wondering what black and grey water was...
Old 04-16-2007, 10:45 AM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC-2000 Frt Eng, Tranny:MT643
Engine: 5,9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 84
Don't wonder about such questions, my friend -- or anybody. Just ask! That's why
we are all here!

And when one asks, and an other answers, lots more learn -- like me!

Wow, I feel great this morning. Riding in a parade just picks me up for at least a week!

Elliot Naess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 12:41 PM   #7
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03
Black water is...er...the "brown" water from the toilet. Gray water is just the stuff from the sink and shower. Some people get really creative and recycle the grey water for tasks like flushing the toilet to maximize their capacity when boondocking.
Old 04-16-2007, 05:17 PM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

oh yea, that helps a lot. Thanks friend. So I guess one water pump can work for the shower, sink, and toilet. I don't have a hot water heater yet or a grey water tank.
Old 04-16-2007, 05:45 PM   #9
Bus Nut

Year: 1985
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: 366 propane
Rated Cap: 56
Yes one pump will work for the whole system. I have a Jabsco 1.9 lpm pump that is designed for marine use. It operates on pressure, so when the system is charged it turns off, when you turn on a tap away she goes. I chose a pump that puts out less power because I don't want to go through tonnes of water. It puts out enough for a good shower.

Here it is before being hooked up:

http://www.skoolie.net/gallery2/v/Skooli ... 0.JPG.html

ps: Why can't I get my images to paste? I've done it before and it seems my brain has stopped working. I have tried the insert image instructions and still no go, please help!

-Richard
captainkf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 06:48 PM   #10
Mini-Skoolie

kewl, I got a ShurFlo model 2088 for my water pump. It's 2.8 gallons per minute. Hopefully it wont waist too much water, and if it does, maybe I'll be able to throttle it somewhere.
Old 04-16-2007, 07:22 PM   #11
Bus Geek

Aerators on the faucets and a low flow shoerhead could go a long ways. You can also get entropy valves or even just a regular 1/4 turn valve to throttle it down.
Old 04-16-2007, 09:22 PM   #12
Bus Nut

I've bought a whole host of items from an ebay seller that operates an ebay store called Tri-State Surplus... matter of fact I placed an order for 4 more items from that guy yestereday. He has water heaters, furnaces, he's usually got 6-9 pages of RV related stuff....
http://stores.ebay.com/TRI-STATE-SURPLUS

There is another seller that has tanks at a great price, so if you want to buy a gray tank he's got them for $45 plus shipping.... His name is similar, it's Tri-State Rock Your World....
http://stores.ebay.com/TRI-STATE-ROCK-YOUR-WORLD-STORE

The guy in the first link has the most stuff at the best prices though, he's a good seller too... He let me hold for a week on a shower pan while I shopped his site for more stuff, then packed it all into one box for combined shipping, saved me around $20 in shipping cost doing it that way...

You just might be a Redneck if...
...your motor home used to be a school bus!
...Your living room has a steering wheel!
...Your home has brake lights

1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1989 Thomas Diesel Pusher (Cat 3208/Freightliner)
Chesapeake, Virginia
GoneCamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 12:19 AM   #13
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainkf
Yes one pump will work for the whole system. I have a Jabsco 1.9 lpm pump that is designed for marine use. It operates on pressure, so when the system is charged it turns off, when you turn on a tap away she goes. I chose a pump that puts out less power because I don't want to go through tonnes of water. It puts out enough for a good shower.

Here it is before being hooked up:

http://www.skoolie.net/gallery2/v/Skooli ... 0.JPG.html

ps: Why can't I get my images to paste? I've done it before and it seems my brain has stopped working. I have tried the insert image instructions and still no go, please help!

-Richard
Richard, are you trying to paste the webpage that the picture is being hosted on? or are you pasting the actual location of the pic.

If you try to link the webpage, nothing will happen. However, if you right click on the picture and copy the location, then paste it in after the img and before the /img, then it should show up. Which is what I did. Anything that goes into the img links, has to end in a jpg or gif extension.

HTH.
eggman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 03:09 PM   #14
Bus Nut

Year: 1985
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: 366 propane
Rated Cap: 56
Thank you for the tutorial. I get it now .

-Richard
captainkf is offline   Reply With Quote