Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-07-2017, 06:08 PM   #1
Skoolie

Should I filter all water or just sink?

At first I was thinking of filtering just sink water to save myself on filter purchases. I have the Ecco temp on demand water heater. I was mapping out my plumbing system because my shower stall should be arriving soon but had the thought that maybe I should filter all the water coming in and not just what I will be drinking. I'm not picky and don't care much I just didn't know if it would affect the water heater or if there were any other reasons I'd want to filter it all.

EricW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 06:33 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricW View Post
At first I was thinking of filtering just sink water to save myself on filter purchases. I have the Ecco temp on demand water heater. I was mapping out my plumbing system because my shower stall should be arriving soon but had the thought that maybe I should filter all the water coming in and not just what I will be drinking. I'm not picky and don't care much I just didn't know if it would affect the water heater or if there were any other reasons I'd want to filter it all.
I would think that a sediment filter would be a good idea regardless. It will keep larger particulate matter from getting into your water system.

As far as filtering to remove minerals that can cause scaling on fixtures and the water heater you cannot remove that with a typical filter. That takes a "water softener". They do make them for RV's but I have not tried one.

A reverse osmosis filter will as well but is not really practical for an RV. They waste a LOT of water.

I will make a prediction that within the next two or three posts someone will tell you that taping magnets to your water line or only filling your tank during a full moon will prevent scaling.....

If you want some good info regarding water quality & filters, talk to Jesse at Waterfixers: Water Filters And Purifiers

Jesse is very sharp and really knows his stuff. And, he is a really nice guy to boot.

I currently reside in a 5th wheel out in the woods. My water comes from rainwater collection and, if it does not rain enough, the creek in the back yard. I have been using one of his filters for 2.5 years and am very happy with it.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 07:25 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 2 elderly children, 1 cat
I use the Camco disposable filters, all water into tank or when hooked up gets filtered. One lasts a year or so camping about 50-60 nights.
Old 03-07-2017, 07:50 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 92
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 5.9L
Rated Cap: 77
ive been wondering this exact question too. thanks for bringing it up. i seen a video today where he pretty much made his own filter and then had another smaller one that he bought at the very end of the line. it went rock, gravel, fine sand, then into the store bought filter. since it went through all of that natural filter first it pretty much got rid of all the contaminants and hardly ever had to change the last defense of the store bought filter.

here is the link if you wanna watch. guy has a pretty simple ideal setup all around.

BurlKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 08:45 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American
Engine: Cummins 8.3/Allison MD3060
Rated Cap: 84
Rather than spend a bunch of money on filters, just attach magnets to the water line. You can glue them around it or take the easy way out with tape.

I'm not sure exactly what the science is behind it, but it does a great job of preventing mineral deposits from forming!

Rameses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 05:28 PM   #6
Skoolie

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: CAT 3126
Talking

... That was the third post. Steve knows what he's talking about.

I never knew that osmosis filters wasted water. I've heard that Sawyer™ Filters do an efficient job making water potable.
Marceps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 12:03 AM   #7
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American
Engine: Cummins 8.3/Allison MD3060
Rated Cap: 84
That took 10 days...

I was starting to think I was the only person who'd paid any attention to what Steve had said.

Rameses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 08:10 AM   #8
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Coachwork: MCI
Chassis: 102 EL3
Engine: DD 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricW View Post
Hi Eric, I've lived in a motorhome for the last three years and have had great success with filtering (sediment and carbon) all the water going into my rig and filtering the drinking water again before use. Some folks talk about all the water problems they've had - I've never had any. So, based on a very small data point - I suggest filtering all water. Of course, a fulltimer keeps their water moving all the time. I suspect/guess some of the problems that people report are from leaving the water unused for months at a time.

I often use an 'On The Go' RV portable water softener when filling. I'm not sure that it made a big difference but it didn't hurt anything either (that I could see). I've never taken the time to measure the water hardness before and after - just lazy...
JDOnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 05:32 PM   #9
Skoolie

Thanks for all the advice! I was just trying to see if I could avoid using the carbon filters to filter shower water to keep filter costs down. I have a few screens in the lines but sounds like I should have all water that comes into my system filtered. I will probably still look into a portable water softener that all water entering the system goes thru then just carbon filter sink water
EricW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 07:15 AM   #10
Bus Crazy

Chassis: IH 3800, 8 window
Engine: T444E w/ Spicer 5-speed MT
Rated Cap: I prefer broad-brims hats
A large part of my career has, to greater or lesser degrees, concerned itself with groundwater remediation.
While I hope to never find myself boondocking on a PCB, Hexavalent Chrome, TCE, or other industrially produced contaminated site, when it comes to my agua, I want it pura!
These systems are quite reasonable for our mobile application. Ideally, RO is the way to go, but can be impracticable if in an area with reduced water availability.
I especially dig both these systems' compact design, and that they condition both supplied and wild water! (Just wish he'd've listed prices for the Merlin set ups. If ya gotta ask, ya can't afford it...)
Great link! Thanx for sharing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
If you want some good info regarding water quality & filters, talk to Jesse at Waterfixers: [url=http://waterfixercompany.com/]

I currently reside in a 5th wheel out in the woods. My water comes from rainwater collection and, if it does not rain enough, the creek in the back yard. I have been using one of his filters for 2.5 years and am very happy with it.
Geared more towards a residential application, with unlimited inflow. Not too bad at comparing the various systems, pretty heavy on the RO, tho.
Wonder if they'd have the same ability to survive and function as the foregoing in a non-stationary situation...
A good resource, thanx.
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidbarker View Post
The first thing to do is to test your water to determine what, if anything, you need to remove. Then look for filters that remove whatever it is. Then compare different brands and models to find out which one meets your reqirements best, the reviews from AvidWater can help you to narrow down your choices.
Old 05-21-2019, 11:17 AM   #11
Bus Crazy

Year: 1975
Coachwork: Chevy
Chassis: 8 window
Engine: 454 LS7
Rated Cap: 24,500
certainly something to think about that I hadn't considered before - my area claims the purest water in Canada - friends and family often bring containers to take home our fine well water - those with campers or trailers dump the water they have on board and load up from our taps - I'll be able to carry about a week's worth of water with the tanks I have on hand, but if we are on the road for an extended time in an area with bad water, that could create a problem - I have raced a couple of times at a time of year when the local water was literally black from a high iron content ( Ft Nelson BC, and Jackson Hole Wy ), and while race organizers and motel operators assured us the water was safe, it did give our highly tuned racing huskies diarrhea and huskies with diarrhea don't win a lot of prize money - what sort of filter could filter out excessive iron from the water?
Sleddgracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 02:58 PM   #12
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Blue-Bird
Chassis: TC RE 3408
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 12V Mechanical/Allison MT643
Rated Cap: Blue-Bird says 72 pass.
Since reading this thread, I have been looking at the APEC Top Tier 5-Stage Ultra Safe Reverse Osmosis Drinking Water Filter System mentioned above. In an answer to one of the questions on Amazon the manufacturer states that their system can be installed in an RV if there's enough room but the water pressure must above 40 psi for the system to work effectively. I don't really know how difficult that goal will be to achieve, though. Does anyone out there have any idea?
gs1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 07:52 AM   #13
Bus Nut

Year: 1997
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleddgracer View Post
certainly something to think about that I hadn't considered before - my area claims the purest water in Canada - friends and family often bring containers to take home our fine well water - those with campers or trailers dump the water they have on board and load up from our taps - I'll be able to carry about a week's worth of water with the tanks I have on hand, but if we are on the road for an extended time in an area with bad water, that could create a problem - I have raced a couple of times at a time of year when the local water was literally black from a high iron content ( Ft Nelson BC, and Jackson Hole Wy ), and while race organizers and motel operators assured us the water was safe, it did give our highly tuned racing huskies diarrhea and huskies with diarrhea don't win a lot of prize money - what sort of filter could filter out excessive iron from the water?
HAHA, dam Ft Nelson, FSJ, and the other FSJ........ Kind of a Chitty situation at a race.. you're kind of hamstrung, everywhere else I think you'll be fine. Something portable and independent that can make volumes of water for the Pups might suit you better. I think once you sort through camping using the provinces good water...vs the amount of times needing to filter water due to a race location and such you'll have a better idea.

Handyman and Shenaniganizer
https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f11/97...ion-22324.html
Yukon Cornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 09:19 AM   #14
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukon Cornelius View Post
HAHA, dam Ft Nelson, FSJ, and the other FSJ........ Kind of a Chitty situation at a race.. you're kind of hamstrung, everywhere else I think you'll be fine. Something portable and independent that can make volumes of water for the Pups might suit you better. I think once you sort through camping using the provinces good water...vs the amount of times needing to filter water due to a race location and such you'll have a better idea.
you're most likely right - late night thinking isn't the best at thinking through to a practical solution - lol
Old 05-22-2019, 12:37 PM   #15
Bus Nut

Quote:
you're most likely right - late night thinking isn't the best at thinking through to a practical solution - lol
I tend to not blame, late nights, alcohol, mornings, or coffee... As I have been guilty of being pretty stupid at all hours and under all influences.

But we can't always be rockstars all the time....sh!t would get boring.

But I was just spit balling things to consider if you hadn't yet

Old 05-22-2019, 01:50 PM   #16
Bus Crazy

Quote:
I tend to not blame, late nights, alcohol, mornings, or coffee... As I have been guilty of being pretty stupid at all hours and under all influences.

But we can't always be rockstars all the time....sh!t would get boring.

But I was just spit balling things to consider if you hadn't yet
of course - I didn't stop and think that we seldom stay in one place for more than a few days and we'll have a good week's worth of water on board - all I could see in my mind was the sight of that black water pouring into the bathtub - couldn't see the bottom of the tub when there was 6" of water in it
Old 05-23-2019, 06:11 AM   #17
Bus Nut

Quote:
of course - I didn't stop and think that we seldom stay in one place for more than a few days and we'll have a good week's worth of water on board - all I could see in my mind was the sight of that black water pouring into the bathtub - couldn't see the bottom of the tub when there was 6" of water in it
it's that time of the year tho too where turbidity is an issue in most of the province....so water issues tend to be in the forefront.

Old 05-23-2019, 08:57 AM   #18
Bus Crazy

Quote:
it's that time of the year tho too where turbidity is an issue in most of the province....so water issues tend to be in the forefront.
true enough - still like to find out if there was such a thing as a filter that would remove something like excessive iron
Old 05-23-2019, 09:25 AM   #19
Bus Crazy

Chassis: IH 3800, 8 window
Engine: T444E w/ Spicer 5-speed MT
Rated Cap: I prefer broad-brims hats
How's your budget..?
Quote:
true enough - still like to find out if there was such a thing as a filter that would remove something like excessive iron
If it's ferric contamination, then a particulate filter will remove it.
For ferrous iron (dissolved), a fancier system is called for:
https://www.filterwaterdirect.com/pr...ox-iron-filter
Think you were right, load up on good agua when you can!
Old 05-23-2019, 10:02 AM   #20
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by haz.matt.1960 View Post
How's your budget..? If it's ferric contamination, then a particulate filter will remove it.
For ferrous iron (dissolved), a fancier system is called for:
https://www.filterwaterdirect.com/pr...ox-iron-filter
Think you were right, load up on good agua when you can!
thanks for the link - I'll check that out - my budget is minimal - enough maybe that what can't be done by using what I have on hand, scrounging, bartering, innovative solutions, can be reluctantly paid for - lol