Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-03-2010, 02:00 AM   #1
Bus Crazy

Year: 1965
Coachwork: thomas
Chassis: chevy
Engine: 350
SHOWER STALL BUILD

My shower is framed in with wood and was lined with some kind of a waterproof corrugated cardboard stuff if you can bvelieve that.It does have a legit fiberglass base though.I want to reline it and was thinking of useing a fiberglass/plastic panel system,ive seen these systems used in institutional kitchens,etc and have heard its for sale at home depot.I think some is smooth and some has bumps,and I hear it comes with inside and outside corners.Any one know the name of this stuff and anyone ever installed it?thanx timbuk

timbuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 08:03 AM   #2
Bus Nut

Re: SHOWER STALL BUILD

If its the stuff I think it is, Its used in fastfood places too. Namely TacoBells, but I have seen it in others at newer locations. But the stuff is textured on one side and smooth on the other, and you can use it either way. Only problem is that it will yellow over time and is a pain to scrub crap off the textured side...had to use a Scotchbright pad when the solid-head deckbrush didnt work. (hate those crappy swivel head deckbrushes, cant scrub worth a shi(if you get a deckbrush, get a solid metal pole for a handle, its too easy to bend the plastic and cheap metal handles... and the wood ones snap too easily, but they look cool while they are bending ^.^))
Sojakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 12:04 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojakai
Only problem is that it will yellow over time and is a pain to scrub crap off the textured side...
I have had to deal with white textured Lexan equipment cases, which I expect are about the same. Cleaners like Fantastic or Formula 409 will react chemically with the plastic and turn the stuff yellow while you watch, even if you immediately hold it in a sink to rinse it under running water.

I accidentally found that the answer was to dampen a bar of Lava soap, and then make a paste by rubbing the bar with a toothbrush. Use the toothbrush with the Lava paste to clean the grime off, and afterward the cases rinse out clear and are still white.

For a larger project, get one of those "fingernail" brushes, the kind that you put four fingers into the handle and the bristles sit across your knuckles. Dampen the bristles, and rub the Lava bar across the front until you have a paste. Scrub the grime, and remove the paste and grime from the surface with a wet towel or rag.
Someone said "Making good decisions comes from experience, experience comes from bad decisions." I say there are three kinds of people: those who learn from their mistakes, those who learn from the mistakes of others, and those who never learn.
Redbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 06:45 PM   #4
Bus Nut

I use to work at a Tacobell a while back... But I was told that it was a "Fiber-Glass embedded Plastic" or something like that. It wasnt the cleaner that was turning it colors, it would just do it over time. And I wish we had one of those hand brushes, but it wasnt in the "Catalog" so we couldnt buy it. Bleach wasnt in there either, but one of the managers brought that in when we cleaned the walls and grout. I still think it was a pain to move all the shelving just to use the bleach, but had to keep things away from the bleach.
Old 01-04-2010, 01:59 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

hmm,so this may not be the wat to go since the shower is framed in and i do not wish to change it as the floorplan would change,i wonder what to use?I hate scrubbing and cleaning water stains we are on a well already and it is alot of work dealing with it.By the way i like taco bell
Old 01-04-2010, 05:30 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1 ... ogId=10053

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/sto ... us+christi

Download the instructions ("more Info") to see how to clean.

Lowe's carries it too but I can't find it on their website. I can find it in the store. It runs about $30 - $35 per 4X8 sheet.

FRP cuts fairly easily. We cut it like plastic laminate (Wilsonart/Formica countertop material) with a carbide tipped blades on circular saw or a router (router gives a smoother cut with a carbide laminate trim bit). We used it on our Apache pop-up. It needs a substrate to attach it to as it is too flexible to hold up under it's own weight (it's heavy too). We used contact cement (installed in a dry area) but they do sell an adhesive made for FRP's We also applied to a sheet of luan plywood and then screwed the edges to the interior frame of the pop-up.

We liked this stuff enough that we would use it again as a shower liner. We will get a 32x32 shower pan like this
http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=p ... lpage=none
https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 11:12 PM   #7
Bus Crazy

Lorna thank you very much that is exactly the product i was told about,FRP.And that is pretty much exactly the route i am taking with the base.FRP, i believe,stands for fire resistant panel and thanks for the cuttin advise! {OR MAYBE FIBERGLASS REINFORCED PANEL }
Old 01-05-2010, 02:57 AM   #8
Bus Nut

I just rammed two ideas together... Someone said something about a material that they use for cutting boards. I saw the Subject as Shower Stall Build, and the thought came to mind to use those half-inch thick cutting boards as wall tiles. ^.^

Could always be worse, Could be flipping channels to hear interesting conversations. (They get really interesting if there is a cop program on.)
Old 01-07-2010, 03:06 PM   #9
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89

Better check to make sure you can glue to the cutting board material. It's wonderfully "non-stick" when it comes to many adhesives. I have two attached (with screws) to a metal folding table I bought from Wal-Mart. I needed a bigger table area for our gas table top grill. Everything just wipes right off the stuff. You will need the "stress-relieved" type so that you can machine it (cut and shape). Often the cutting board pieces that you can buy in stores are already stress-relieved. It melts from the heat cutting tools create and bogs down the cutting tools (saw blades, drill & router bits). The large pieces get very heavy. Try stopping in a restaurant supply store and pick up one of the large cutting boards. They are heavy. They can also warp and it's difficult to get them straightened back out. I think the FRPs would be a better choice and much easier to work with. But that's my opinion.
https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 07:38 PM   #10
Bus Nut

cuting board material is available in large sheets and differnt thickness's, check the web for poly and plastic suppliers in your area, a good supplier can help you with fabrication information as well as material.
paul iossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 08:30 PM   #11
Bus Nut

Year: 1976
Coachwork: bluebird
Chassis: F33695
Engine: 427 chevy converted to 466
Rated Cap: 84

Paul, I used the white bumpy stuff in my shower stall and it hasn't got dirty or yellow yet and it's been up 5 years. We only take a dozen showers a year in it though but it doesn't seem to get dirty too easy. Yes it has corner pieces, connectors, edge pieces, is easy to bend in one plane, and I used contact cement to stick it to Luon (spelling?) as well as my paneling around the toilet. It's cheap too. I don't know if I have any good pictures of it in my gallery here but I probably don't want to go out in the -5 degree weather to take any right now, maybe this spring. sportyrick
sportyrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 11:59 PM   #12
Skoolie

Year: 1983
Coachwork: International
Chassis: Carpenter
Engine: 8.3

Anyone ever used Lexan or plexi-glass? I have been thinking about this a bit sincer were have not started the bathroom build and plexi seemed to be a viable option or me.