Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-08-2018, 06:30 PM   #21
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
seems like a bucket with a bag is great if you can toss it right away... otherwise the rumor i hear is that the urine is what becomes the big stench.. why alot of people have a separate spot for that to route to.

Personally a toilet is the BIGGEST reason why i dont camp .. and stay in hotels 99% of the time... im not one who wants to clean out copmpost or have to try and be separate about how I go... I want to go and push a button.. maybe the doodie-bag is the ticket, go in the back, seal it up, toss it in the next trash can you see and done??
-Christopher
The "one bucket" method does have a significant following that claims minimal smell. Goggle "Humanure" and you will find a bunch of information.

I tried it. My results were not entirely to my liking

I switched to a urine diverting setup and that worked very well for me.

PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 07:25 PM   #22
Bus Geek

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 72
Urine diverter and negative pressure ventilation makes all the difference.

Sent from my LGMP450 using Tapatalk
Old 03-08-2018, 07:56 PM   #23
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
The "one bucket" method does have a significant following that claims minimal smell. Goggle "Humanure" and you will find a bunch of information.

I tried it. My results were not entirely to my liking

I switched to a urine diverting setup and that worked very well for me.
to me i would think the only way the one bucket wonder woiuld work without diversion is if you used it, tied it dumped it.. not twice but a new bag each time.. and for a guy. just taking a leak would be a no brainer .. a go-pilot or some such device that has a valve or a screw cap would be easy...
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 09:38 AM   #24
Skoolie

I might have a fix, not 100% certain yet, but here goes nothing...

My brother in law has a late 90s Winnebago Class C, that is heavily water damaged.

As in the roof has caved in. He is getting ready to strip it for parts, and I believe I can source up a good working fridge, stove / oven, and water heater, not to mention toilet, black, gray, and fresh water tanks and many of the fittings needed...

I think the water pump, control panel etc... are also all still in great shape...

I think I will have a conversation with him about when he's ready to part it out.
dbhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 11:48 AM   #25
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbhost View Post
I might have a fix, not 100% certain yet, but here goes nothing...

My brother in law has a late 90s Winnebago Class C, that is heavily water damaged.

As in the roof has caved in. He is getting ready to strip it for parts, and I believe I can source up a good working fridge, stove / oven, and water heater, not to mention toilet, black, gray, and fresh water tanks and many of the fittings needed...

I think the water pump, control panel etc... are also all still in great shape...

I think I will have a conversation with him about when he's ready to part it out.
I would definitely jump on whatever I could salvage from it. Your looking at over $1k n savings depending on how good a friend your BIL is. Someone else here just did that and saved a ton.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 12:31 PM   #26
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
I would definitely jump on whatever I could salvage from it. Your looking at over $1k n savings depending on how good a friend your BIL is. Someone else here just did that and saved a ton.
Meh, I'll probably get volunteered for something family related in trade.... No biggie. Pretty sure he's close to ready to strip that thing...

Might be able to source up things like a range hood from it as well. I seriously doubt the microwave is still okay though...
Old 04-19-2018, 04:46 PM   #27
Skoolie

Long story short, the RV we are stripping is a class C my BIL bought dirt cheap at auction, the awning had been ripped off, and the holes never patched right. Water intrusion into the roof, and wall pretty much destroyed over 50% of the coachwork, to the point it wasn't worth fixing. So for $500.00 I picked it the rights to strip it, he keeps the thing though. Going to repurpose the V10 and tranny...

Okay here's the haul so far...

3 burner Magic Chef stove / oven combo unit.
Dometic RM-2620 fridge. Tested and works great. Needs a serious cleaning.
Dometic range hood.
40 gallon fresh water tank.
? capactiy black water tank, and gray water tank.
Stainless steel 2 bowl sink.
Stainless steel oval lav sink.
Kitchen faucet (crap, won't use it, have a good new one from a sink kit from the house I will use instead).
RV tub / shower enclosure. Not sure if it is supposed to be almond color. Parts of it are bright white. Considering prepping and painting with that plastic paint stuff from RustOleum.
Tub Faucet.
Oxygenics shower head. The basic plastic white one. It works. But it is kind of yellowed. Probably replace it...
Tank sensor control panel.
Onan 4K gas generator

What we looked at and determined is not salvagable...

Furnace.
Water heater. If you've seen my other posts, I knew this already, and have planned for an Ecotemp type heater instead...
AC unit.
Microwave
TV
TV Antenna.
Roof vents.
Toilet. Not that it isn't salvageable, but I am a big dude and want a porcelain ceramic bowl when I actually do the build.
Any and all of the woodwork, and soft goods have been exposed to the elements for the past year. They are gone.

What we haven't looked at yet.

Propane tank.
RV Windows, screens etc...
Breaker / fuse box / panels.
Bay doors, trim, locks, cubbies etc...

Not sure what else can be salvaged out of this...
Old 04-19-2018, 07:12 PM   #28
Bus Geek

Year: 86
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
The haven't looked at stuff is a definite get if salvageable.
The RV windows and screens if you plan a raise or chopping ribs and re-framing for them? I have heard they are better.
My salvage was limited to the tanks and control panel.
The on an genny was full of dirt robbers and the propane was already repurposed by the owner.
Good luck
Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 07:45 PM   #29
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger bus 223 View Post
The haven't looked at stuff is a definite get if salvageable.
The RV windows and screens if you plan a raise or chopping ribs and re-framing for them? I have heard they are better.
My salvage was limited to the tanks and control panel.
The on an genny was full of dirt robbers and the propane was already repurposed by the owner.
Good luck
The generator is definately good, although it runs a touch rough. Nothing a mess of carb cleaner and a new spark plug / wire can't fix I am thinking...

The toilet on this old rig is there, and I CAN salvage it. I'd almost rather bucket job it than use the original plastic toilet...

A Dometic 320 fits that bill very nicely, and isn't much more expensive than a high end portable flushing plastic toilet...

I am seriously getting much happier with the concept of salvage for sure...