Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 03-06-2018, 11:46 AM   #1
Skoolie
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: League City, Texas
Posts: 221
Small budget build. Using what I have. Zodi...

Okay so here's the scoop. I am trying to get a short bus build bought, and done on the cheap. Mostly because I want to hit the road before I am dead, and I'm not filthy rich...

I do have a Zodi Hot Tap instant Hot shower system. Not super high flow, but effective. I have 4 7 gallon AquaTainer water tanks.

I know the Zodi is super basic, and not exactly ventless.... So I am not sure the best way to rig this...

It uses 3/8" hose for pickup and output, with a small 4 D cell pump although there are 12V pumps for them...

Toilet will be self contained (Luggable Loo / Double Doodie bags), no black water.

I'm thinking of rigging some sort of mount that keeps the heater up somewhat high-ish, for operation. Maybe insuring the shower area is close to a roof fan and makeup air source.

I am considering the 12V pump and a waterproof switch for operation.... Just not sure where to start, and how to finish... And should I even bother, or since it is a short bus, just shower outside of the bus?
dbhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 01:21 PM   #2
Bus Geek
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Eastern WA
Posts: 4,784
Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
I have met a few full timers that have a membership at a chain gym and shower there daily.

Not for everyone but it works for some folks.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 01:57 PM   #3
Bus Crazy
 
brokedown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: St Petersburg, FL
Posts: 2,327
Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 72
You can build a composting toilet inexpensively. The one I built would cost about $25 to build from scratch and the compost material I use is about $6 per fill, which should be every 45 or 60 days for a single person of primary toilet use.
__________________
Keep up with us and our build!
Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, YouTube, and Twitter
brokedown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 03:01 PM   #4
Bus Geek
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Eastern WA
Posts: 4,784
Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokedown View Post
You can build a composting toilet inexpensively. The one I built would cost about $25 to build from scratch and the compost material I use is about $6 per fill, which should be every 45 or 60 days for a single person of primary toilet use.
I went fancy with a commercially made urine diverter and a nice seat. I spent closer to $80 on mine.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 03:23 PM   #5
Bus Crazy
 
brokedown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: St Petersburg, FL
Posts: 2,327
Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 72
Not everyone can afford that gold plated luxury, I needed the cost savings for bottled water.
__________________
Keep up with us and our build!
Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, YouTube, and Twitter
brokedown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 03:38 PM   #6
Skoolie
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: League City, Texas
Posts: 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
I have met a few full timers that have a membership at a chain gym and shower there daily.

Not for everyone but it works for some folks.
Yeah, I need to change my gym membership. We are members of a VERY nice local gym, but there is only one.... I know lots of folks that travel a lot that do the 24 hour fitness thing.

As far as the toilet is concerned. I am not allergic to the idea of a dedicated toilet except for the space usage, between that, and budget, I figure the Luggable Loo would suffice for my needs, at least for a while.... Something to remember, if you haven't seen enough from my prior posts. I am a big guy, and exceed the weight limit on a lot of plastic toilets. A 5 gallon bucket has no such limitation...

How would a DIY composting toilet work? Not sure about doing that. Need info...

One of the better ideas I have seen, assuming it could be rigged up by fiberglassing the steps, is having the shower in the entry steps, with a shower curtain enclosing the space... I've seen this done somewhere else, not sure if it was a short bus skoolie or what... But I know I have seen it where the build included basically fiberglassing over the existing stairs / steps, texturing it so you don't slide naked out the side door of the bus, and rigging some sort of drain setup. No extra space wasted for sure.... Not sure how to capture the gray water from that sort of setup though...
dbhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 03:42 PM   #7
Bus Crazy
 
brokedown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: St Petersburg, FL
Posts: 2,327
Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 72
We use Planet Fitness. If you're moving around a lot you'd want the $20 membership, it lets you bring a guest every visit and you can use any gym you like as many as 5 times each per month.
__________________
Keep up with us and our build!
Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, YouTube, and Twitter
brokedown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 03:52 PM   #8
Bus Crazy
 
brokedown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: St Petersburg, FL
Posts: 2,327
Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 72
My composting toilet, you can pretty much figure out how to make it by the parts list.

2 5-gallon buckets, one inside the other, makes it a lot stronger. About $5 each.

A funnel ($5 at walmart) on the front for urine diverting, connected to a rubber hose ($5 at Lowe's) that runs out a hole in the front of the buckets and into a gallon jug. Hole drilled through the jug's lid to fit the hose snugly enough. We use Milo's Iced Tea jugs because they have screw-on lids. They cost like $3 full of tea and last a long time.

Academy Sports sells a $5 bucket fit toilet seat.

I bought a 5/16 steel rod from Lowe's for around $5. Bent a little zig zag in it, it runs horizontally through the buckets and bent up a handle on one end. The rods are about an inch above the copostig material's height, so you get good stir action.

I also got a couple PVC pieces to build a vent. I use 1" pipe and a few 90 degree bends, plus a little piece of screen wrapped over the edge with a zip tie to keep bugs out, and a 30mm computer fan on the far end doing negative pressure ventilation. That's another $15 or so in parts.

I use Burpee ready to go coconut coir. You can get it at some walmarts or directly from burpee online. One bag is the perfect quantity for my bucket system and I'm told is also the perfect amount for the Nature's Head. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Burpee-Na...-Coir/55503036
__________________
Keep up with us and our build!
Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, YouTube, and Twitter
brokedown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 09:21 AM   #9
Skoolie
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: League City, Texas
Posts: 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokedown View Post
My composting toilet, you can pretty much figure out how to make it by the parts list.

2 5-gallon buckets, one inside the other, makes it a lot stronger. About $5 each.

A funnel ($5 at walmart) on the front for urine diverting, connected to a rubber hose ($5 at Lowe's) that runs out a hole in the front of the buckets and into a gallon jug. Hole drilled through the jug's lid to fit the hose snugly enough. We use Milo's Iced Tea jugs because they have screw-on lids. They cost like $3 full of tea and last a long time.

Academy Sports sells a $5 bucket fit toilet seat.

I bought a 5/16 steel rod from Lowe's for around $5. Bent a little zig zag in it, it runs horizontally through the buckets and bent up a handle on one end. The rods are about an inch above the copostig material's height, so you get good stir action.

I also got a couple PVC pieces to build a vent. I use 1" pipe and a few 90 degree bends, plus a little piece of screen wrapped over the edge with a zip tie to keep bugs out, and a 30mm computer fan on the far end doing negative pressure ventilation. That's another $15 or so in parts.

I use Burpee ready to go coconut coir. You can get it at some walmarts or directly from burpee online. One bag is the perfect quantity for my bucket system and I'm told is also the perfect amount for the Nature's Head. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Burpee-Na...-Coir/55503036
Wow, and I thought people used composting toilets for their simplicity!

That's a lot more complex than a bucket, a snap on seat lid, and a bag.

I'm not entirely certain of the environmentally friendly thing with a Luggable Loo, I mean the bags are plastic, however I understand they are now some sort of vegetable based bio plastic, the gel is supposed to be biodegradeable, and I have no real use for composting. Not like I live on a farm or anything...

It should be noted that I am looking at a skoolie build for weekend getaway / staying late dealing with In Laws / week long road trip type of stuff. Not full timing. If I were designing / building for full timing, I would definately go with a flushable toilet / black water tank type rigging... Source up an older 4 burner RV range / oven, and build in a 3 way fridge with solar...

Plus the ability to stay remote from my home without incurring insane hotel fees, would allow me to greatly expand my employment opportunities, thus allowing me to do a better build down the road...
dbhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 09:36 AM   #10
Site Team
 
JDOnTheGo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: The West
Posts: 977
Year: 1998
Coachwork: MCI
Chassis: 102 EL3
Engine: DD 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbhost View Post
I am considering the 12V pump and a waterproof switch for operation.... Just not sure where to start, and how to finish... And should I even bother, or since it is a short bus, just shower outside of the bus?
How/Where do you plan to plan to stay/live - what is your mission? Are you always going to be in nice weather?

There is no right or wrong answer, I'm only asking (rhetorically) because the answer to your question varies based on "how" you want to live and what makes you comfortable.

Some folks spend all their time in campgrounds and state parks which often have showers and toilets. Others boondock most of the time. And so on...

If the former, a shower and toilet can be a fairly low priority if you are happy using the campground facilities. The latter does seem to require at least a toilet of some sort. "Washing" can be as simple as a bucket and a wash rag - baby wipes - an outdoor solar shower or much more complicated.

Again, no right or wrong - just what works for you.
__________________
JD - Full timer out west
Missy - 1998 MCI 102-EL3 - 1.7kW Solar - 10kWh Lithium
My Adventures & Build
JDOnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:50 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.