Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-27-2018, 10:28 PM   #21
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbloem1974 View Post
I have the same one, Tango, and I LOVE it!! Works great, hot water all day! A little bit of heat out the top, but nothing crazy. Just make sure there's plenty of space around it...

John
How do you think this unit would do if it was mounted under a sink cabinet?? Too much heat? Need a vent?? Not recomm3nded??

theavgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 08:22 AM   #22
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: International
Engine: Dt 466e
Read page two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbloem1974 View Post
I put mine under the sink area - enough open space where heat not an issue.
naes14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 12:48 PM   #23
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2005
Chassis: Blue Bird
Engine: 8.3 L Cummins, MD 3060 Trans
Rated Cap: 50
"+45 degree temperature rise"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
I think I'm gonna go with this little guy...

TANKLESS GAS WATER HEATER "Low Water Pressure" Startup Technology

I've heard good feedback, don't need much output and like the super low flow. Should save on water. And the "ventless" aspect is also appealing. Not a big fan of punching holes in the roof.
I liked everything I was reading about this heater until I got to the "+45 degree temperature rise." Hmmmm . . . Not sure I would like this if the water temperature got below 60 degrees F. How has this been working for you in that regard?
Old 11-26-2018, 09:26 AM   #24
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Even high dollar household units only provide so much "rise". Another reason to build your fresh tanks INSIDE.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 10:12 AM   #25
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2005
Engine: 8.3 L Cummins, MD 3060 Trans
Rated Cap: 50
I understand the "rise" function. It is the "45 degree" (amount of rise) that concerns me. I had a tankless water heater in my last home. It put out 104 degree water even in the winter (2 degrees outside, ground water below 50 degrees). I am planning on putting my water tanks either under the bed or down below in one of the storage compartments. The former has the advantages of being in a "warm" area, and allowing better head pressure to the inlet of my water pump. The latter location would allow me to keep the CG of the bus lower, and locate the tank closer to the undersink area where I would place the water heater. Decisions . . .
Old 03-01-2019, 12:52 AM   #26
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
How well do these work? I've heard that they aren't as quick as they claim. I've timed my home kitchen sink. It takes 1 minute 15 seconds to get hot water. Surprisingly in that time it only pumps 1.3 gal.
How fast do you get "hot" water?
I just made a deal on a slightly used Ecotemp L10 for $90, I paid the extra $12 for a year warranty. If they are much faster, I may get one for the kitchen at home.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 09:09 AM   #27
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
One of the main determinates for getting hot water is distance from heater to outlet. I had a household sized Bosch at one home I owned that took a good 5+ minutes because it was on the ground floor and the master bath upstairs. Finally added a second closer and knocked the delay down to about thirty seconds.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 03:53 PM   #28
Bus Geek

Quote:
One of the main determinates for getting hot water is distance from heater to outlet. I had a household sized Bosch at one home I owned that took a good 5+ minutes because it was on the ground floor and the master bath upstairs. Finally added a second closer and knocked the delay down to about thirty seconds.
I'm planning on having it close to the kitchen/bathroom area, maybe 8' at the most from it's end use.
Old 03-01-2019, 04:35 PM   #29
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1992
Coachwork: International
Chassis: 3800
Engine: INternational DTA 360
My camping heater gets hot in seconds so it shouldn't be an issue if you are within 8 feet of your outlet
Old 03-08-2019, 08:58 AM   #30

Year: 2003
Chassis: BlueBird
Engine: T444E Diesel-195 HP
Rated Cap: 42
I just order one and it looks perfect! How are you liking yours?
Wild_Sunshine Bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 10:25 AM   #31
Mini-Skoolie

I've had mine for about 7 years or so and used it in an easy up tent when I camped.. It's been amazing! I've had it running nearly 45 min nearly non stop and 5 campers were able to get a flawless hot shower in that time. I only recently installed it in my bus.

Old 03-08-2019, 11:51 AM   #32
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by trentet View Post
I've had mine for about 7 years or so and used it in an easy up tent when I camped.. It's been amazing! I've had it running nearly 45 min nearly non stop and 5 campers were able to get a flawless hot shower in that time. I only recently installed it in my bus.

I'm afraid if I stick to my 20 minutes showers I will deplete the whole fresh water tank. How big is yours that can supply water for 45 minutes?
Old 03-08-2019, 02:10 PM   #33
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Engine: ISC 8.3
Quote:
One of the main determinates for getting hot water is distance from heater to outlet.
Pipe diameter and material play a big role too. The pipe itself will draw heat out of the water until the pipe has warmed to the water temperature; a plastic tube like PEX will draw less than a metal like copper.

An easy way to compare the time effect of pipe diameter is to look at the "volume per 100 feet" figure. For PEX tube it's 0.5 gallons in 3/8, 0.92 in 1/2, and 1.83 in 3/4 inch. For any given length of PEX tube, it'll take about twice as long for the hot water to arrive through 1/2" as compared to 3/8", and 3.5x for 3/4" as compared to 3/8". Unfortunately, allowable pressure drop and flow requirements often make the larger sizes necessary.
family wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 11:52 PM   #34
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2013
Coachwork: 32' Thomas C2
Chassis: Freightliner, with FABCO 4x4 conversion and 6"lift
Engine: 6.7 Cummins 300hp
Rated Cap: 15 plus storage area
tankless water heater questions....

hello there! I was wondering if anyone who has installed a tankless water heater in their bus conversion is concerned whether or not the unit is certified or approved. For example, in Canada, any hot water heater that is installed for residential or commercial use has to be CSA (canadian standards association), or CGA (candian gas association) for any gas appliances.

In Canada, or BC specifically, do we have to have the bus propane system inspected after the conversion is complete in order to get RV status for isurance?

Has anyone found andinstalled a CSA or CGA certified tankless propane water heater?

If the the bus has solar/inverter, has anyone installed a propane tankless water heater that requires 110v power from the inverter to fire up the igniter? The battery operated igniter would be ideal, but i cant find a heater that is CSA approved AND has a battery powered igniter. help?

thanks in advance!
scoolienewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 11:16 AM   #35
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoolienewbie View Post
hello there! I was wondering if anyone who has installed a tankless water heater in their bus conversion is concerned whether or not the unit is certified or approved. For example, in Canada, any hot water heater that is installed for residential or commercial use has to be CSA (canadian standards association), or CGA (candian gas association) for any gas appliances.

In Canada, or BC specifically, do we have to have the bus propane system inspected after the conversion is complete in order to get RV status for isurance?

Has anyone found andinstalled a CSA or CGA certified tankless propane water heater?

If the the bus has solar/inverter, has anyone installed a propane tankless water heater that requires 110v power from the inverter to fire up the igniter? The battery operated igniter would be ideal, but i cant find a heater that is CSA approved AND has a battery powered igniter. help?

thanks in advance!
Quick search for CSA or CGA certified tankless water heaters brought up a bunch. Home Depot has some:
https://www.homedepot.com/b/Plumbing...vZc1u0Z1z0v3fg

My Eccotemp L10 is certified for Canada.
Old 03-13-2019, 01:43 PM   #36
Mini-Skoolie

I didn't worry about certification so much as what I had experience with camping..
Old 03-13-2019, 01:45 PM   #37
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
I'm afraid if I stick to my 20 minutes showers I will deplete the whole fresh water tank. How big is yours that can supply water for 45 minutes?

I was hooked up to city water at the time.. I only have 55 gallons of fresh on board
Old 03-16-2019, 12:34 PM   #38
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2013
Coachwork: 32' Thomas C2
Chassis: Freightliner, with FABCO 4x4 conversion and 6"lift
Engine: 6.7 Cummins 300hp
Rated Cap: 15 plus storage area
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
Quick search for CSA or CGA certified tankless water heaters brought up a bunch. Home Depot has some:
https://www.homedepot.com/b/Plumbing...vZc1u0Z1z0v3fg

My Eccotemp L10 is certified for Canada.
I called eccotemp previously and the propane line/regulator is CSA approved but the customer service guy told me the heating unit is not. Thus my confusion. did you have to have your bus inspected for your gas/propane in order to get adequate insurance for the vehicle?
scoolienewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 09:25 PM   #39

Year: 2003
Chassis: BlueBird
Engine: T444E Diesel-195 HP
Rated Cap: 42
Talking

I just got this jewel.... check it out. Made for cabins, tiny homes, RV. Ventless.
Attached Thumbnails
04C29316-CEF6-467A-B6C6-F70C09E481AE.jpeg  
Wild_Sunshine Bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 01:35 PM   #40
Bus Nut

I just picked up an Eccotemp L5. Originally, I planned to install it under the sink, but now I'm realizing storage comes at a premium on my shortie and now I'm interested in installing it on the exterior of the bus (same spot under the sink, just now on the outside). Also planned is some sort of metal cover to protect the connections/controls from hooligans and the housing from flying debris while driving.

Has anyone installed one on the outside? Any issues? I think they're meant to be installed on the exterior of cabins too.
TheArgobus is offline   Reply With Quote