Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-17-2005, 03:19 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 1985
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: 366 propane
Rated Cap: 56
Toilet installation

What is the longest run that is still functional for rv toilets? Due to some new tanks I am concerned about the distance the line will have to be from the toilet to black tanks. Would 6' with three 45 degree bends be too much?

-Richard

captainkf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 01:02 AM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1981
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Crown
Engine: 671 DD
Send a message via MSN to Roasting8 Send a message via Yahoo to Roasting8
Hi Richard,

Your runs should be as short as possible. Normally, the black water tank is positioned right below the toilet. The reason for this is that unlike home toilets, RV toilets don't use as much water to flush the fecal matter to the tank. Thus, with a long run (like the one you mentioned), the crap will not get to the tank with the one flush.

Also, don't forget to vent the tank.
Roasting8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 10:32 AM   #3
Skoolie

The more bends you use, the more clogs you'll get, depend on it. And every second bend or so should be a cleanout to deal with those clogs. Do you LIKE working with old poop?

RV black tanks are directly below the RV toilets so they drop stuff right in. They do NOT use bends.

Domestic toilets are right by the main drains, and use all of that water to flush stuff down the pipes. Unless you plan on HUGE fresh and black tanks, don't use a domestic toilet.

Besides, RV toilets start at $90 or so for portable units, similar price for fixed units. Go with an RV toilet, and keep the thing right over the tank.
Old 11-22-2005, 03:10 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 1985
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: 366 propane
Rated Cap: 56
Re: Toilet install

Thanks for the info. I figured that over the tank would be optimal, however I wanted to confirm. I now have a 60 gallon black tank and thetford rv toilet to install. Now I have to wait for the spring to get on with it.

I wish I could just find a warehouse or garage that is waiting to do be leased or somthing so I would have somewhere dry and secure to work on it over winter that doesn't cost a fortune. I guess I'll have to wait.

This just gives me more time to source things for cheap or free.

-Richard
captainkf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 07:44 AM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

How do you actually install the RV toilet??

I have an Aquastar V.

it has the regular Flare around the Hole with a gasket that fits on it and two bolts that according to the drawing go in from the bottom up to tighten the thing to the floor, but ??? how do I get that hole to my Holding tank which is directly below it. I'm sure I'll figure it out but ? Do I put some kind of fitting in the hole through the floor before I fasten the toilet to the floor?
JoeA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 06:54 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

I have a question here? Our family has a boating legacy and I am wondering can you install a black tank at a distance and use a macerator like pump? The design I am working on would require the bathroom to be 18" higher than the main floor to allow for a tank under the bathroom. I don't want that! I remember in boats that holding tanks are a long distance from the head and all of them require a pumpout. Couldn't a person install the tank a long ways away if they just pumped the ?oo to the tank and possibly from the tank?

Has anyone tried that?

Thanks
Old 12-11-2005, 10:20 PM   #7
wtd
Bus Nut

Year: 1982
Coachwork: Thomas TransitLiner
I believe that you'd have to use an a macerator toilet, as used on boats, rather than a 'normal' RV toilet and separate macerator pump, but I don't see why it wouldn't work.

Tom
Old 12-12-2005, 12:30 AM   #8
Bus Nut

You could put a small tank under the head. Then put the macerator in the small tank to pump the crud to the main black tank. I personally have not experience with macerator pumps but I have been told of many bad experiences with the RV models. Most people reccomend to use marine versions.
busone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 08:06 PM   #9
Skoolie

Engine: CAT 3208 NA
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeA
How do you actually install the RV toilet??

I have an Aquastar V.

it has the regular Flare around the Hole with a gasket that fits on it and two bolts that according to the drawing go in from the bottom up to tighten the thing to the floor, but ??? how do I get that hole to my Holding tank which is directly below it. I'm sure I'll figure it out but ? Do I put some kind of fitting in the hole through the floor before I fasten the toilet to the floor?
Just like this:

More pictures here:

http://www.vonslatt.com/bus-plumb.shtml