Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-14-2019, 04:26 PM   #1
Bus Geek

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Minotour
Engine: Chevy Express 3500 6.6l
Water Heater

I’m struggling with finding a water heater that suits my configuration. I’m out of space under the skirt except for just ahead of the driver’s side rear wheel where I was hoping to put the clean out for grey and black tank. I saw the on demand water heaters that look like they hang on the wall. From what I’ve read they need active ventilation and are best suited for outdoor applications. It sure would be great to find one that vents to outside but had a small vent cover so I could cut out below the chair rail.

Danjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 04:33 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danjo View Post
I’m struggling with finding a water heater that suits my configuration. I’m out of space under the skirt except for just ahead of the driver’s side rear wheel where I was hoping to put the clean out for grey and black tank. I saw the on demand water heaters that look like they hang on the wall. From what I’ve read they need active ventilation and are best suited for outdoor applications. It sure would be great to find one that vents to outside but had a small vent cover so I could cut out below the chair rail.
There are tankless heaters that have a small 3"-4" vent. To vent below the chair rail you would need to mount the heater lower.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 04:36 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
There are tankless heaters that have a small 3"-4" vent. To vent below the chair rail you would need to mount the heater lower.
Name, link? I’ve been looking. I saw one with an exhaust pipe, but it was 1100 bucks
Old 11-14-2019, 05:13 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Name, link? I’ve been looking. I saw one with an exhaust pipe, but it was 1100 bucks
My original plan and purchase were an Eccotemp L10 ($89) for the sink and shower, and an Eccotemp L5 ($95) for the radiant flooring. After venting discussions I realized the venting on those 2 were designed to be vented to open outside air by venting the hole top of the units. Venting them to outside was going to be difficult. So I bought a pair of these Honhill ($125/pr) that have the 3.5" round vent in the top. I will rig a "Y" to vent these out the side or roof.
I'll use the L5 on the portable washing machine. The L10 is available if anyone needs it.

I see them cheaper now than when I bought.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/8L-16kW-Tan...item5d951fd210
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20191114_175432493.jpg   IMG_20191114_175522505.jpg  
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 07:40 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Thomas 4 window w/lift
Chassis: G30~Chevy cutaway
Engine: 5.7/350 Chevy Vortec
Rated Cap: Just me and my "stuff"?
Those on demand units are intriguing due to the compact size of their construction.
For the amount of time they'd be burning propane in heating H20 for sink or shower, I wouldn't think it would rise to the level of dangerous CO2/monoxide levels inside if one ran "unvented"?
Not so much for one being used on floor heat though...
peteg59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 08:07 PM   #6
Bus Geek

It’s not just the exhaust gases. Its also consuming oxygen in the room. There are indoor models that have duct connections for venting. They take up wall real estate that my shorty doesn’t have much. I’m trying to keep the view as uncluttered as possible, so I’m back to mounting it in the skirt.

I’m curious where others have installed the water heater. Please let me know. It doesn’t seem possible to mount one in the conventional manner because of the chair rail.
Old 11-15-2019, 07:18 AM   #7
Bus Nut

Year: 2004
Coachwork: IC/AMTRANS RE
Engine: T444E 7.3 w/ MD3060
Rated Cap: 36000lbs / 78pass / 39'
I know this doesn't help you but for anyone else reading that has a rear engine IC bus, I bought a 4.22gpm tankless and mounted it in the engine bay, I had to move the coolant res but it worked out real good there.
Only thing about putting them outside is if you are in freezing weather, mine has freeze protection and kicks on and off to keep itself from freezing so there is some gas used for that process, but I wanted it outside, I've got kids and didn't want another gas appliance inside. It's my first tankless unit and I don't know how I lived so long without it. They are awesome. I got mine as a open box off ebay couldn't complain at all at 1/3 of the price.
If you would like to check out my website that has all sort of information especially for the T444E/7.3PSD engines check out www.PatrickTheSalvageGuy.com I've got helpful downloads and articles as well as a link to my YT for other how to videos mainly on the F series trucks.
PatrickBaptist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 09:33 AM   #8
Bus Nut

I've got the L5 and for a hot minute there I considered mounting it on the outside of the bus wall, just under the kitchen window for venting purposes. But then I decided that wouldn't work well due to cosmetic issues and also I don't want it getting dirt and grime from the road, so now I'm opting to install it on the wall in the bathroom, such that the vent is next to the window. We're fair weather campers so whenever we will be using it, the window will be cracked open for ventilation purposes. But to be honest, I can't imagine it produces more CO than a four burner stove in the kitchen cooking dinner, which isn't vented, but I may be misunderstanding the purpose of venting.
TheArgobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 09:45 AM   #9
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Another consideration for venting inside Vs outside is the amount of moisture that they add to the air.

In cold weather that can become a real problem.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 09:42 AM   #10
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: IC / Amtran
Chassis: CE300
Engine: International T444e
Rated Cap: 23
I don't know if you can find a place for it, Danjo. Or if the price justifies it. But we're going with the Precision Temp RV-550. They make 2 versions. The one we'll be using is the RV-550 NSP EC. Its fresh air intake, exhaust flu, and high-pressure blowoff all go through the floor, in the space of a 13.5x13.5" footprint (height is 14.25"). Zero clearance needed around unit with the exception of needing the front panel unobstructed for service. In our case, it will go under a bed/couch beside one of our two indoor fresh water tanks.

The exact same heater is made in the RV-550 EC configuration for venting/fresh air out the side of a vehicle.

The installation instructions for the RV-550 NSP, available on their website, shows the exact location & dimensions of all required cutouts. For the side-exhaust model, they don't have the same detailed specs, but it looks like the front panel becomes the hole through the side, meaning the hole would be about 14x14.

https://precisiontemp.com/products/rv-550-nsp/

https://precisiontemp.com/products/rv-550/

Our Build: Mr. Beefy
TheHubbardBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 11:21 AM   #11
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHubbardBus View Post
I don't know if you can find a place for it, Danjo. Or if the price justifies it. But we're going with the Precision Temp RV-550. They make 2 versions. The one we'll be using is the RV-550 NSP EC. Its fresh air intake, exhaust flu, and high-pressure blowoff all go through the floor, in the space of a 13.5x13.5" footprint (height is 14.25"). Zero clearance needed around unit with the exception of needing the front panel unobstructed for service. In our case, it will go under a bed/couch beside one of our two indoor fresh water tanks.

The exact same heater is made in the RV-550 EC configuration for venting/fresh air out the side of a vehicle.

The installation instructions for the RV-550 NSP, available on their website, shows the exact location & dimensions of all required cutouts. For the side-exhaust model, they don't have the same detailed specs, but it looks like the front panel becomes the hole through the side, meaning the hole would be about 14x14.

https://precisiontemp.com/products/rv-550-nsp/

https://precisiontemp.com/products/rv-550/
That looks like a really good choice. I went from “well if I need a bath it’s going to be out of a bucket and if I need hot water it’s going to come from the stove” to full shower. That really changed everything. I’m still trying for the maximal side of minimal with the Suburban SW6D.

After looking at the bus for hours, considering every possible place to put the water heater I was back at the first place, under the skirt next to the battery box. It’s just going to fit with a little trimming of the side impact ‘wing’/AC condenser hanger. I’ll need to make a waterproof box for it.
Old 11-18-2019, 11:33 AM   #12
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: IC / Amtran
Chassis: CE300
Engine: International T444e
Rated Cap: 23
Quote:
That looks like a really good choice. I went from “well if I need a bath it’s going to be out of a bucket and if I need hot water it’s going to come from the stove” to full shower. That really changed everything. I’m still trying for the maximal side of minimal with the Suburban SW6D.

After looking at the bus for hours, considering every possible place to put the water heater I was back at the first place, under the skirt next to the battery box. It’s just going to fit with a little trimming of the side impact ‘wing’/AC condenser hanger. I’ll need to make a waterproof box for it.

Glad you figured out how to make it work! I feel you. I've been doing the exact same thing with ours. Don't want to cut through ribs, keeping the flu away from AC hoses, putting the intake where it won't be obstructed but will block road debris... ugh. FINALLY found a spot but as with everything else it's a compromise. Long way of saying I understand the 'short bus blues'

Our Build: Mr. Beefy
TheHubbardBus is offline   Reply With Quote