Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 08-30-2016, 08:20 PM   #31
Bus Crazy
 
milkmania's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Oklahoma aka "God's blind spot"
Posts: 2,177
Year: 1989
Coachwork: 1853FC International/Navistar
Chassis: 35' Retired Air Force Ambulance
Engine: DT466, MT643
Rated Cap: 6 souls and a driver
Quote:
Originally Posted by maggiemae View Post
We got an Eccoteml i12 LP and love it!

Here's a link : NEW Eccotemp i12-LP Indoor Tankless Water Heater


See that big stock tank? I fill that bad boy up all the way with hot water. Excellent on propane, we use a standard grill sized one every couple months (cooking too).

Attachment 10999

Can you get a close up picture of your water heater installation? Top, front, & bottom

Purty please?
__________________
I once complained I had no shoes....
Until I met a man with no feet
milkmania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 09:47 PM   #32
Bus Geek
 
Tango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 5,303
Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
It is my understanding that nearly all of the tankless models can be reset for altitude. There are a group of internal switches or some such that can be calibrated to adjust for altitude. Anyone else know more?
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 10:20 PM   #33
Bus Crazy
 
milkmania's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Oklahoma aka "God's blind spot"
Posts: 2,177
Year: 1989
Coachwork: 1853FC International/Navistar
Chassis: 35' Retired Air Force Ambulance
Engine: DT466, MT643
Rated Cap: 6 souls and a driver
Good Eccotemp L5 reviews toward bottom of page.
See Eccotemp L5 Portable Tankless Water Heater and Outdoor Shower reviews. - Tankless Water Heater Electric

Personally, I could not be happier with mine!
They even sent a true stainless steel hose and a very good functioning shower head with shut-off.... Similar item would be $30 or more at Home Depot.

My Eccotemp L5 was $118, total shipped price at Amazon
__________________
I once complained I had no shoes....
Until I met a man with no feet
milkmania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 10:04 AM   #34
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: New England
Posts: 68
Year: 2003
Coachwork: AmTrans
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E
Quote:
Originally Posted by maggiemae View Post
We got an Eccoteml i12 LP and love it!

Here's a link : NEW Eccotemp i12-LP Indoor Tankless Water Heater


See that big stock tank? I fill that bad boy up all the way with hot water. Excellent on propane, we use a standard grill sized one every couple months (cooking too).

Attachment 10999
The "indoor" models seem nice and prob are more suited to permanent skoolie use, but I do like that the L5 and L10 "outdoor" models use D batteries and do not require 120v. How has the energy usage been for these indoor models with 120v?
WhiteWhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 09:08 PM   #35
Bus Nut
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Utah
Posts: 266
Year: 1990
Coachwork: BB
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: Cummins
Rated Cap: 25.999K
I'm trying to figure out how I want to run hot water in the bus. I want one single sink and one outdoor shower. Initially I thought of making a system using a 3x8 20 plate heat exchanger, but his would only work while my engine is hot. Then I came across this thread, and its looking like the Ecotemp L5 is a winner. However, I wan to run a sink as well. Here are my thoughts on a system. From the water tank, water will flow into a pump, after the pump, I will "t" one line to the cold sink and to cold shower. The other side of the "t" would then go into the L5. The output on that would "t" to the hot sink and hot shower. This way I could run a hot/cold faucet and hot/cold shower valve. I also could throw the heat exchanger in the mix just upstream of the L5, so when the bus is running hot, the water going into the L5 would already be hot and not need much more heat added..... Thoughts? concerns?? insults????
SDR76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 09:33 PM   #36
Skoolie
 
Alan N's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Gonvick MN
Posts: 244
Year: 1975
Chassis: Gillig
Engine: Cat 3208t/10 speed transmission
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDR76 View Post
I'm trying to figure out how I want to run hot water in the bus. I want one single sink and one outdoor shower. Initially I thought of making a system using a 3x8 20 plate heat exchanger, but his would only work while my engine is hot. Then I came across this thread, and its looking like the Ecotemp L5 is a winner. However, I wan to run a sink as well. Here are my thoughts on a system. From the water tank, water will flow into a pump, after the pump, I will "t" one line to the cold sink and to cold shower. The other side of the "t" would then go into the L5. The output on that would "t" to the hot sink and hot shower. This way I could run a hot/cold faucet and hot/cold shower valve. I also could throw the heat exchanger in the mix just upstream of the L5, so when the bus is running hot, the water going into the L5 would already be hot and not need much more heat added..... Thoughts? concerns?? insults????
You probably don't want water coming out of your fixtures at 180 plus degrees.
The plate heat exchanger will work well but you probably need to be able to regulate your water temperature. Perhaps a tank or a tempering valve.
Others have done this perhaps they will reply.
I have used a cheapo tank less heater for years with no problems.
__________________
Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
Alan N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 09:48 PM   #37
Skoolie
 
Offgr1d's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 207
Year: 1998
Chassis: VanHool T945
Engine: Cummins M11
Rated Cap: 47,000
I wouldn't do engine heat exchanger.. Reason is adding too much heat / regulation as stated above and one more place for a leak / engine coolant issue... The on demand is already so efficient, it is totally unnecessary to add another form of hot water production. You will be happy with LP instant units.
Offgr1d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 09:50 PM   #38
Bus Nut
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Utah
Posts: 266
Year: 1990
Coachwork: BB
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: Cummins
Rated Cap: 25.999K
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan N View Post
You probably don't want water coming out of your fixtures at 180 plus degrees.
The plate heat exchanger will work well but you probably need to be able to regulate your water temperature. Perhaps a tank or a tempering valve.
Others have done this perhaps they will reply.
I have used a cheapo tank less heater for years with no problems.

Good point about having water TOO hot coming from fixtures. I hope someone that has tried this chimes in, I'm sure there are more problems than I am seeing. I could still run the same system, just loose the plate exchanger, or perhaps put a valve on it to slow the flow. (I kept one of the "under seat" heaters from the bus, so there is coolant already plumbed to the kitchen area).
SDR76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 10:00 PM   #39
Skoolie
 
rjnye79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: GA, by way of NC and VA
Posts: 138
Year: 1995
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: T444e
Rated Cap: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Offgr1d View Post
I wouldn't do engine heat exchanger.. Reason is adding too much heat / regulation as stated above and one more place for a leak / engine coolant issue... The on demand is already so efficient, it is totally unnecessary to add another form of hot water production. You will be happy with LP instant units.
I am curious about your point of use unit. Do you have photos of the setup/ventilation/etc.? I'm shopping Eccotemp L7-L10/Flojet bundles, as we speak.
rjnye79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 11:43 PM   #40
Bus Crazy
 
milkmania's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Oklahoma aka "God's blind spot"
Posts: 2,177
Year: 1989
Coachwork: 1853FC International/Navistar
Chassis: 35' Retired Air Force Ambulance
Engine: DT466, MT643
Rated Cap: 6 souls and a driver
My camp is currently broke down for the move...

But my Eccotemp L5 has passed every test I've thrown at it!
Dishwasher kicked on Eccotemp when it demanded water, my clothes washer was the same way.
I've had an outdoor shower stall made out of 3 metal 4' x 8' department store displays, with a 1"X1" bar across the top front for shower curtain. Worked absolutely flawlessly for 13 months now.... Sure, it was cold in the winter and I had to manipulate some water hoses after temps dropped below freezing, and that was simply making sure the water was drained out of the garden hose and disconnect both water lines (in and out) from heater... Used quick connect hose adapters. But, I could take a hot shower in ice cold weather, and I was 10' from cabin. And if I used a garden hose ball valve right before it went into heater... I could hit 192 aNed still have great pressure... 106 is a hot shower for me!

I will end up plumbing my whole bus with 1 PEX water line ...
1) shower
2) kitchen sink
3) dishwasher
4) clothes washer
5) residential toilet

And just manipulate the on/off switch if I want tap water or hot water. The heater will be in a centralized location.... Shoot! my bus is only 35' max.

Edit:

OH! and I used my water heater to heat my hot tub water so it wouldn't use quite so much electricity(inefficient 110v heater)

Used a buddy's 12v marine pump and spare battery to circulate water from tub to heater and back. It was pretty sweet to be sitting in a hot tub and having a handheld shower head
__________________
I once complained I had no shoes....
Until I met a man with no feet
milkmania is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:22 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.