Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-28-2017, 04:02 PM   #1

Year: 2001
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466
Question water level monitoring system

Hello fellow skoolie family! To monitor my fresh water tank levels I was thinking of using a gauge and sensor (like in the fuel tank) ... will this work? Can I just use a regular fuel tank sensor system (new, of course)? I don't have a black tank and at the moment no grey either so I only need to monitor the fresh water tank & thought it could look cool having an old-style gauge. However, I'm new to allll this but have figured out electrical already so how hard can basic plumbing be How complicated would it be to set it up? Capacitor fluid level sensor ring any bells?

highspiritsjourney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 04:43 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 86
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
It is actually called a capacitive fluid level sensor which would do the job while parked and I think the gauge will go crazy while moving.
I have done a lot of fuel and oil type tanks that use all kinds of brands and ideas for that type of sensor and you always have to buy that manufacturers control panel(not a guage) to be able to read that specific sensor's resistance.
What size openings do you have in your tank? Most freshwater tanks only have 1/2"-3/4" openings in them so the idea of using an old school fuel sending unit and guage would require you to make your own hole.
There are options?
I salvaged my tanks from an old coachmen RV and got the controller to go with it for all three tanks. Each tank has a brass stud plastic welded(which is cheap to do yourself)into the tank with a 1/4" stud stuck out for a wire connection at about an inch from the bottom,mid way up,and one about an inch from the top.
Several options and ideas there also.
It works buy sending a low voltage power to the empty stud and as the water touches the other studs it lights up the rest of the level on the control panel so as it loses its connectivity with the full,half full, and empty pins attached to the tanks the lights on the panel drop or raise from empty to full or full to empty.
Lots of ways to go about it and your budget will help you decide?
I have cheap ideas,I have trouble free ideas that cost a little more money and more work.
Good luck
Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 05:44 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 92
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 5.9L
Rated Cap: 77
something like this.

https://www.garnetinstruments.com/wp...vel-System.png

got the idea from this guy on here named justin, i believe. its a sweet bus and he does great work. cant remember the name of the build right now....
BurlKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 06:47 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: 3800
Engine: 7.3l T444e (1999)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BurlKing View Post
something like this.

got the idea from this guy on here named justin, i believe. its a sweet bus and he does great work. cant remember the name of the build right now....

Pictured is a SeeLevel gauge. I installed one on our build that monitors voltage as well as fresh, grey, black, & propane levels. Works like a champ!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Megs_PB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 08:49 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Crown, integral. (With 2kW of tiltable solar)
Chassis: Crown Supercoach II (rear engine)
Engine: Detroit 6V92TAC, DDEC 2, Jake brake, Allison HT740
Rated Cap: 37,400 lbs GVWR
I have two 110-gal fresh water tanks, interconnected with a 3/4" pipe. The left tank has a simple sight glass to show the level in both tanks - it's just a length of clear plastic tubing inside a piece of aluminum channel, connected to the tank top and bottom through 1/4" spin-welded fittings. Simple, nothing to go wrong, always works, cheap - what's not to like?!

And in keeping with the KISS theme, my gray tank's level indicator is a 12V Malibu halogen garden light shining against the tank's opposite side so I can easily see the level of gray water inside it. And the poo tank is next to its access door, so there's no difficulty seeing its level.

Just an idea.

John
Iceni John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 04:42 AM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Coachwork: MCI
Chassis: 102 EL3
Engine: DD 60
The SeeLevel gauges have an excellent reputation in the RV industry.

The old style fuel tank type sensor would work in fresh water but not in the black tank - too many chunks in there. A newer style capacitance sender would probably work but I haven't seen that used before.
JDOnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 10:37 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDOnTheGo View Post
The SeeLevel gauges have an excellent reputation in the RV industry.

The old style fuel tank type sensor would work in fresh water but not in the black tank - too many chunks in there. A newer style capacitance sender would probably work but I haven't seen that used before.
We only have a fresh water tank, and will not be adding a black tank. I checked out the SeeLevel system but thought since I only need one tank monitored it would look cooler to have a gauge as our meter... I found something like this: https://www.westmarine.com/buy/sierra--universal-electric-fuel-gauge-sending-unit-kit--385684?gclid=CjwKCAiA7JfSBRBrEiwA1DWSG-vct6VI2pfCBdWHnDO_IqmdJHhZINxk9vATZC_3f1_hBNJYPfNU IhoC5oEQAvD_BwE ...hopefully the equipment comes with good instructions!
Old 01-07-2018, 02:03 PM   #8
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 6CTA8.3 Mechanical MD3060
Rated Cap: 46 Coach Seats, 40 foot
Quote:
Originally Posted by highspiritsjourney View Post
We only have a fresh water tank, and will not be adding a black tank. I checked out the SeeLevel system but thought since I only need one tank monitored it would look cooler to have a gauge as our meter... I found something like this: https://www.westmarine.com/buy/sierr...hoC5oEQAvD_BwE ...hopefully the equipment comes with good instructions!
Just be aware that many fuel gauge senders will rust in water where they will not rust when submerged in gasoline.

Build Thread
Twigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 02:28 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twigg View Post
Just be aware that many fuel gauge senders will rust in water where they will not rust when submerged in gasoline.
Aha, thanks that's what I was wondering... do you know of a safe way to coat them?
Old 01-07-2018, 03:17 PM   #10
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 6CTA8.3 Mechanical MD3060
Rated Cap: 46 Coach Seats, 40 foot
Quote:
Originally Posted by highspiritsjourney View Post
Aha, thanks that's what I was wondering... do you know of a safe way to coat them?
No. I'd use one designed for RV's.

Unless you can find a similar unit designed for water tanks.

Build Thread
Twigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 11:29 PM   #11
Bus Crazy

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American
Engine: 3208 na boat anchor
Rated Cap: 2
An air bubbler system would work in a dirty tank. You measure the air pressure it takes to push air out of a pipe that goes down to the bottom of the tank. A simple manometer will record the tank's level. I did this for my grey tank. I have a little air pump, bought from Boeing Surpluds, long since closed (the bastards!), that provides air pressure.
bus-bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 01:25 PM   #12
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: Ford B600
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 20 person
Quote:
Originally Posted by BurlKing View Post
something like this.

I watched a youtube video of someone who used this system and they really liked it.
Youtube - bit.ly/TheBowserJournal
BowserJournal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 01:38 PM   #13
Bus Crazy

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Crown / Pusher
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
I'm using these in my grey & black tanks, you can also order gauges

https://www.amazon.com/KUS-USA-Water...r+level+sensor
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Stu & Filo. T is offline   Reply With Quote