Old 05-18-2016, 09:01 PM   #11
Almost There

Year: 95
Coachwork: Amtran ss-33
Chassis: Int 3800
Engine: dt444E
Rated Cap: 29,000
an automotive 12 v gasoline pump can pass for a mover pump newer ones have 36 psi stall. have you considered a sink hose end sprayer for a shower head?~~~ i riggged up a 5 gallon bucket and a hose end sprayer for a camping / deer lease shower. works great ! higher the hang the more the pressure. use one in my home claw foot tub too. m shower pan is a 55 gallon plastic drum cut down to 20 " and shower curtains hung on 3/4 emt tubing tucked inside the drum. aint got to be fancy, just has to work!

if your not a man our doing it all wrong-kp
tincaneasybakeoven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 09:28 PM   #12
Bus Geek

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC 1000
Engine: 5.9
Send a message via Yahoo to Robin97396
I like your shower pan idea. Hadn't thought of that. I like using $10 items.

Good news for all of you. I may be taking showers soon.
Robin97396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 08:31 AM   #13
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2003
Coachwork: AmTrans
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E
Thanks everyone for your responses! I am thinking if we decide to do a foot pump perhaps we should just do one for the cold rather than two pumps for hot and cold. both hot and cold could run off 12v pump like normal but also have the option for a quick squirt of cold from the foot pump as needed. I am not certain if the foot pump will work so well with hot. The ones i am looking at are the marine foot pumps on amazon for around $50. They look pretty decent but I dont see anything about them being rated for hot water. I know from residential plumbing that the hot is always the first to leak...
WhiteWhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 08:54 AM   #14
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Coachwork: bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins, Allison 545
Rated Cap: 2
i vote to pass on the foot pump.

seems like a separate system to do the same thing is a little over kill. the only time i need a little water is if i take a crap in the toilet. while a foot pump might be quieter in the middle of the night, i got no problem waking the crew up with the water pump. some things you got to get rid of.

keep it simple! fewer leaks, fewer problems, lower cost
Old 05-19-2016, 09:02 AM   #15
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freight-shaker (Freightliner)
Engine: Cat 3126b 250 HP
Rated Cap: Only 1 seat
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf View Post
i vote to pass on the foot pump.

seems like a separate system to do the same thing is a little over kill. the only time i need a little water is if i take a crap in the toilet. while a foot pump might be quieter in the middle of the night, i got no problem waking the crew up with the water pump. some things you got to get rid of.

keep it simple! fewer leaks, fewer problems, lower cost

Agreed!!
Old 05-19-2016, 01:03 PM   #16
Bus Crazy

Chassis: B3800 Short bus
Rated Cap: 36
A foot pump plus a 12v pump seems entirely unnecessary to me. If you have a 12v pump then just use it. They don't use all that much electricity and there's no inherent water savings from using an electric pump vs a manual pump. It's all in how you use them. Don't leave the faucet open and running and you'll be golden. In addition, you can get a 12v pump for the same price as a foot pump, so there's not even an economical reason to choose a foot pump.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turf View Post
the only time i need a little water is if i take a crap in the toilet. while a foot pump might be quieter in the middle of the night, i got no problem waking the crew up with the water pump.
If you install a water pressure tank you'll be able to use the water for a while before the pump turns on to re-pressurize the system. Such a tank will also reduce water pulsing caused by the pump.
I installed one very similar to this:

2 Gal. Pressurized Well Tank
Old 05-19-2016, 01:43 PM   #17
Bus Geek

It's a back up system. If your electric pump goes out, and I've already had one go bad, it's nice to have something to move water that will avoid using hoses and jugs. It's the modern answer instead of having a water tank mounted on the ceiling for gravity feed.
Old 05-19-2016, 04:05 PM   #18
Bus Crazy

Chassis: B3800 Short bus
Rated Cap: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post
It's a back up system. If your electric pump goes out, and I've already had one go bad, it's nice to have something to move water that will avoid using hoses and jugs. It's the modern answer instead of having a water tank mounted on the ceiling for gravity feed.
Right. And as mentioned having a backup pump is a good idea, but in my opinion it might as well be an identical electric pump considering that there isn't an economic gain and it'd require additional plumbing.

As a side note, some pumps have quick-disconnect fittings for an easy swap out. The Flojet Triplex is one of them.

If the pumps were pre-wired with an electrical connector it'd be a real cinchy job!

Old 05-19-2016, 05:23 PM   #19
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International S3800
Engine: DT360
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
why not set it up with the faucets which have the time delay release? purely mechanical (non electronic) faucets are made that when you pull the handle the water runs for maybe 30 seconds or so (the spring is usually adjustable) then shuts off unless you shut it off before.. this way no messy plumbing setups and no foot pumps..
_Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 05:35 PM   #20
Bus Geek

Without house batteries at this point I don't put any extra load on the starter batteries. I use one of those jump start units that can stay plugged in and automatically topped off when I'm not using it for my 12 v needs, and it's good for a number of uses including a 12 v winch.

Hey, I broke down and got an electric pump. That's a step in the right direction. True I'm having to slowly come around on just about everything. In, say, about 5 short years you might even consider my bus habitable.

I was going for rustic but functional.