Skoolie

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Crown by Carpenter
Chassis: Ford B-800
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: 55
Water tank guesstimate and plumbing question

Hi,

I am starting to think about water and waste tanks for my bus and I was curious what common capacities are for water and greywater tanks?

The local Tractor Supply Company store has 100 gallon steel tanks (rectangular, perfect for fitting underneath one side) for about $279. Is that a good deal? Not only does it have brackets on the bottom (for simpler mounting), but it also is 5 minutes from my house so I don't need to pay for freight charges.

Is there a big difference between a steel tank and plastic (polypropylene?) tank? Is 100 a good size to be when off any water line, and what are common usages per person (gallons per day, etc)? I'm wondering how long it'll last.

I'm imagining I'd have a composting toilet so I'm not wasting valuable water, and probably only shower when it's hooked up to a water line.

Also, in general, what are the regulations for wastewater (greywater)? I'd imagine smaller campers/trailers would not have storage tanks to keep the greywater until disposal at specific places. Assuming it's just greywater and not blackwater (ie no toilet). Is it (generally) legal to just have an 'outlet' line that goes to a hose that drains ~20-30 feet from the motorhome? New Jersey says I need a 'sink' in the bus but said NOTHING about a toilet or a greywater tank. Or a potable water tank for that matter.

I'm hoping, for the first phase, at least to get the vehicle registered and on the road, I can have spigots that go directly from a water line to the sink via a hose (and hard plumbing line on the interior), and then adapt the waste line from the sink to another spigot that goes to a hose 30 feet away. I'm not sure if this is legal. It's just greywater and all the soaps, etc I use are natural anyway.

Are there general design/sanitary regulations for RV's?
tomas_maly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 05:32 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89
Re: Water tank guesstimate and plumbing question

Yes there are. Please don't stay next to me and run your stinky grey water out . ICK! Don't think grey water smells? Set a 5 gallon buck 1/2 full of used dish water in your living quarters and after a week tell me how it smells?

BTW, in some states you can be kicked off public lands for dumping grey water indiscriminately.
http://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
http://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 05:42 PM   #3
Skoolie

Well there is a HUGE difference between a 5 gallon bucket of stagnant dirty water and a small constant trickle that comes out of a hose, especially SOAPY water, that rapidly seeps into the ground. For some reason people don't seem to comprehend the difference. Stagnant water IS a problem, and I can understand that dumping a greywater tank would stink to high hell, but then again it's been sitting around stagnant with any soap, etc separated by then. What I'm referring to is using a hose as a drain line, direct from the shower/sink, not from a greywater tank.

Either way I know it's controversial, and am more thinking about regulations. More specifically about getting the vehicle registered, since the motor vehicles only asked for a sink, nothing about a wastewater tank or disposal system.

I would eventually get a graywater system installed, but initially I am wanting to register the vehicle ASAP...
Old 07-17-2012, 05:45 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89

You don't understand . So I'll yell...

DUMPING WASTE WATER ON THE GROUND IS ILLEGAL IN MOST EASTERN STATES!

NFPA 1192 Standard on Recreational Vehicles. http://www.nfpa.org is where you can buy a copy.

Regulations regarding waste water disposal (both black & grey) are tougher in the East than in the West. In the West, in many places you can dig a hole and bury it. In the East you will be fined and/or locked up for the same thing. Who want's to camp in a cesspool?

Go to any of the RV discussion sites and check out the boondocking forums. Ask there about tank capacities/water usage and then tell them your idea for dumping grey water. DON"T FORGET TO TELL THEM YOU LIVE IN NJ!!!

You've been told it's unacceptable and illegal. I'm done.
http://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
http://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 05:48 PM   #5
Skoolie

Lorne,

I'm new to all this and I'm just asking questions. I'm not going out and doing all this yet. I don't appreciate your hostility and find it entirely unwarranted. All I wanted was some link to the regulations. Not people yelling at me.

I read that at least in some states the regulations involve the disposal of GRAYWATER tanks. if it comes directly from a shower drain or sink drain, it bypasses the graywater tank entirely and may (or may not) be the same thing.

Either way, I'm just _asking_ and trying to learn. Not trigger hostile behavior with anybody.
Old 07-17-2012, 06:26 PM   #6
Skoolie

It sounds like it's a concern of the health department rather than the motor vehicles and so the motor vehicles may not worry so much about the disposal tank. I really only intend on using it in the very temporary mean time (until I have the time/money to get a graywater tank), and even then, only on private land (friends') who are okay with the graywater and where it's contained properly. It's very temporary, maybe a month or two, just to get it on the road, visit some family/friends.
Old 07-17-2012, 08:26 PM   #7
Bus Crazy

not to mention that many campgrounds consider that while dry camping in a bus, with a proper container, the regulations for grey water disposal are the same as for tent camping...
and valves, etc in grey system have to be placed to accomodate this..
Old 07-17-2012, 09:21 PM   #8
Bus Nut

Year: 94
Coachwork: b/b
Chassis: tc2000
Engine: 5.9
Rated Cap: 72

i used plastic tanks, black water 56 gal , gray water 30 gal and i have a 30 gal f/w tanks but we use bottle water for drinking ,no steal tanks to much wt and they rust
keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 10:27 PM   #9
Bus Crazy

Year: 1973
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American
Engine: CAT 1160 V-8 Diesel
Rated Cap: 72

The battles on this forum are sometimes entertaining.
Old 07-17-2012, 10:38 PM   #10
Bus Crazy

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu

Yea, but we are just pikers compared th the professional Quens and Kings on the other bus forum
ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote