Old 08-31-2016, 01:35 AM   #11
Skoolie

Year: 1990
Coachwork: integral
Chassis: Crown Supercoach II
Engine: Detroit 6V92TAC, Jake brake, Allison HT740
Rated Cap: 37,400 lbs GVWR
65 gal. poo, 115 gal. grey, two 110 gal. fresh water, total 400 gallons, all made by Ronco Plastics in Tustin CA. And I didn't use any of my underfloor bellybins - I put the two fresh tanks on either side of the fuel tank, and to prevent any possibility of cross-contamination the waste tanks are ten feet away from the fresh ones. The poo tank is 24" high to help it drain quickly and forcefully - no stuck turds in the stinky slinky for me! The two fresh tanks are interconnected, and can be filled either from each tank's gravity fill inlet (some nice Whitecap 6125 stainless marine deck fills, much better than the usual plastic RV crap) or from the city water's hose inlets on either side. I made an eight-branch distribution manifold so each water appliance has its own separate line, using 1/2" PEX throughout. There are two water pressure gauges, one for incoming city water pressure and one for in-bus water pressure. I have two Shurflo 2088 pumps on quick-disconnect mounts on a pull-out tray, so a pump can be easily removed in less than a minute with no tools if it needs servicing. There's also a Watts 263A adjustable pressure regulator for city water set to 45 PSI, the same as the pumps' outputs, and a Watts 2-gal expansion tank, and a GE whole-house carbon filter to keep everything from tasting plasticky. There is a transfer pump to move grey water into the poo tank if needed, and to help flushing the poo tank. I put an extra dump valve for the grey tank on the right side just ahead of the rear wheels - it points straight down . . .

My criteria was to have enough to comfortably support one person for at least a month or two people for at least a fortnight - that means taking a quick shower every night, cooking, using the crapper normally, etc. Along with my 2kW of solar power I should be good for extended time off-grid.

John
Iceni John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 08:24 AM   #12
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: AARE
Engine: 3116 Cat 250hp
Rated Cap: Her, me and Molly
I have 100 gl fresh, 100 gl grey, and about 30 gl black.
Fresh is in three tanks between frame rails, grey is in two tanks in luggage bay, black is also in luggage bay. All like tanks are plumbed together. I used a Maniblock manifold for water distribution.

Not sure why some say they use grey and composting toilet because they don't want to deal with the black tank. It all goes out the same hose with the same connection into the same hole in the ground. I don't see it, smell it, or taste it, I just have to pull two handles instead of one.
somewhereinusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 10:02 AM   #13
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceni John View Post
65 gal. poo, 115 gal. grey, two 110 gal. fresh water, total 400 gallons, all made by Ronco Plastics in Tustin CA. And I didn't use any of my underfloor bellybins - I put the two fresh tanks on either side of the fuel tank, and to prevent any possibility of cross-contamination the waste tanks are ten feet away from the fresh ones. The poo tank is 24" high to help it drain quickly and forcefully - no stuck turds in the stinky slinky for me! The two fresh tanks are interconnected, and can be filled either from each tank's gravity fill inlet (some nice Whitecap 6125 stainless marine deck fills, much better than the usual plastic RV crap) or from the city water's hose inlets on either side. I made an eight-branch distribution manifold so each water appliance has its own separate line, using 1/2" PEX throughout. There are two water pressure gauges, one for incoming city water pressure and one for in-bus water pressure. I have two Shurflo 2088 pumps on quick-disconnect mounts on a pull-out tray, so a pump can be easily removed in less than a minute with no tools if it needs servicing. There's also a Watts 263A adjustable pressure regulator for city water set to 45 PSI, the same as the pumps' outputs, and a Watts 2-gal expansion tank, and a GE whole-house carbon filter to keep everything from tasting plasticky. There is a transfer pump to move grey water into the poo tank if needed, and to help flushing the poo tank. I put an extra dump valve for the grey tank on the right side just ahead of the rear wheels - it points straight down . . .

My criteria was to have enough to comfortably support one person for at least a month or two people for at least a fortnight - that means taking a quick shower every night, cooking, using the crapper normally, etc. Along with my 2kW of solar power I should be good for extended time off-grid.

John

I hope to start my build soon and this sounds like what I have been planning. I have never heard anyone say that the 'wished they could carry less water'.
T-Bolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 10:25 AM   #14
Skoolie

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: T444e
Rated Cap: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Offgr1d View Post
I have 110gal fresh, 110gal grey, 55black...
Waste tanks were used 55gal poly drums from a car wash at $10 each
The fresh were food grade drums that had flavoring in them for the food industry $20 each...
I may eventually change them - but I'm proof they can work as I've used my tanks for a year and a half everyday already...
I'm looking to use a food-grade, plastic drum (55gal) for my fresh water also. What kind of pump do you use? Any issues?
rjnye79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 10:53 AM   #15
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
I have 45 gallons of fresh water and a 44 gallon gray tank. I went with a composting toilet so no liquid poo to deal with (been there, done that...never again).
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 11:47 AM   #16
Skoolie

Year: 1998
Chassis: VanHool T945
Engine: Cummins M11
Rated Cap: 47,000
I have A Shurflo 4008-101-A65 12v. The fresh tanks are about 12-15ft away and the shower is about total of 8ft head from pump. No issues so far. I am planning to add a pressure tank and double the pump in parallel with another Shurflo (same model which I already have) just for redundancy... These diaphragm pumps can dry prime from my tank too.
Offgr1d is offline   Reply With Quote