Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-15-2016, 05:25 PM   #1
Skoolie

Where is your freshwater tank located?

I am getting to the point of plumbing and have thought of several different places inside the bus weay put our freshwater tank. Pros and cons to each way. Where is your freshwater tank and why?

Quick pic since we just got done framing

EricW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 05:47 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
My tanks are inside, right under the wall mounted TV. They're inside because otherwise in the winter they would freeze and be unusable, and during the summer they would be hot and prone to algae growth. Indoors they enjoy a moderate temperature in any climate.
I actually use two 55 gallon plastic drums for my fresh water. They're the perfect height for a counter top and they can be easily replaced if they get nasty at any point in the future. RV tanks are about 15 times as expensive as plastic food grade drums and I'll let you guess which one is tougher. I've dropped a full barrel of water and it didn't break. Could an RV tank do that?
Robin97396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 06:08 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: HDX
Engine: Cat C7
Rated Cap: 84 passenger
Mine will be in the basement, along with the grey. I will also be using a blanket heater and lots of insulatioin as well as a heated Potable hose to ensure waterflow during the winter.
CaptSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 06:20 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International 3000RE
Engine: T444E/AT545
Rated Cap: 75
My fresh and grey water will be in the basement as well. Since we don't plan on fulltiming, they'll be drained in the winter. And if we snowbird, they'll be refilled in warmer climes. I'm also planning on ABS tanks similar to Tango's for fresh; I may use a food grade barrel for grey

Captain Obvious on deviantArt
Scooternj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 06:33 PM   #5
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post
My tanks are inside, right under the wall mounted TV. They're inside because otherwise in the winter they would freeze and be unusable, and during the summer they would be hot and prone to algae growth. Indoors they enjoy a moderate temperature in any climate.
I actually use two 55 gallon plastic drums for my fresh water. They're the perfect height for a counter top and they can be easily replaced if they get nasty at any point in the future. RV tanks are about 15 times as expensive as plastic food grade drums and I'll let you guess which one is tougher. I've dropped a full barrel of water and it didn't break. Could an RV tank do that?
So are the 2 55 gal drums supporting a countertop or just snuggled under one. How are they secured? And is having the weight on one side a bad idea in terms of weight balance?
Old 05-15-2016, 06:59 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Year: 1987
Engine: 6.9L Diesel
Building off the prior post, Robin how do I see your rig? I see you posting everywhere but haven't found your build. But maybe I get distracted every time I look for it.
TAOLIK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 10:26 PM   #7
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
That's because I never started a thread on mine.
I have a problem with that. In Oregon you can not self convert a bus and achieve insurance at any level, other than being able to provide a receipt from a professional coach conversion company. It's a no go that direction. Apparently they are sick of hippies here from years ago.
This is as van technically, because it had no seats when I bought it as a special needs bus. Now titled as a van and insured as a van. Like a Chevy van except much, much bigger. I can use my "maxi-van" like I might use a regular van, but it still requires the commercial policy even though I'm under 25k. I'm technically not allowed to convert this bus to an RV, so should I really incriminate myself on the internet? You ever notice the government busting people based on their facebook posts? No buddy, this is a van. All the accoutrements in this "van" are modular and can be rolled right out of here, and it's a empty van again. Because it's got to be a van legally, and then I do tend to change buses every few years. I got tired of fixing them up. The problem with insurance requires this not be converted. Technically I think I'm still legal, kind of.
Robin97396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 11:31 PM   #8
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post
That's because I never started a thread on mine.
I have a problem with that. In Oregon you can not self convert a bus and achieve insurance at any level, other than being able to provide a receipt from a professional coach conversion company. It's a no go that direction. Apparently they are sick of hippies here from years ago.
This is as van technically, because it had no seats when I bought it as a special needs bus. Now titled as a van and insured as a van. Like a Chevy van except much, much bigger. I can use my "maxi-van" like I might use a regular van, but it still requires the commercial policy even though I'm under 25k. I'm technically not allowed to convert this bus to an RV, so should I really incriminate myself on the internet? You ever notice the government busting people based on their facebook posts? No buddy, this is a van. All the accoutrements in this "van" are modular and can be rolled right out of here, and it's a empty van again. Because it's got to be a van legally, and then I do tend to change buses every few years. I got tired of fixing them up. The problem with insurance requires this not be converted. Technically I think I'm still legal, kind of.
So post "anonymous" stuff man.
I REALLY doubt your insurance people or anyone from the state cares what you post on an internet forum in the slightest.
I don't see how its actually "incriminating" to post some pics.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 12:03 AM   #9
Bus Nut

Engine: Cat 3126e
Rated Cap: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
So post "anonymous" stuff man.
I REALLY doubt your insurance people or anyone from the state cares what you post on an internet forum in the slightest.
I don't see how its actually "incriminating" to post some pics.
x2 People live in there vans and convert them its a thing as well. I am pretty sure most of them did not tell the insurance company.

Let me google that for you
Josiahdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 07:38 AM   #10
Bus Nut

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Ward
Chassis: International
Engine: Navistar 5.9 Diesel
Rated Cap: A butt-load...
Inside, "passenger" rear corner, under the bed frame.
Less plumbing, not having to deal with outside temp., balance weight out with a/c and people (all that is on the driver side).
skoolie_n00bie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 08:04 AM   #11
Bus Nut

Engine: Cat 3126e
Rated Cap: 28
Mine will will be in the rear either spanning the width or on one side will know soon. Should be picking up the tank this week.
Josiahdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 10:03 AM   #12
Bus Nut

Chassis: Freight-shaker (Freightliner)
Engine: Cat 3126b 250 HP
Rated Cap: Only 1 seat
Under the bed in the rear, that way I don't put extra stress on the pump, have to cut even more holes in the floor, it will be out of the light and temp swings.
Docsgsxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 10:14 AM   #13
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 12v
Rated Cap: 78 Passenger
All of my plumbing is under the skirt. 2 x 30 gallon poly tanks being mounted between the skirt and frame just behind the factory battery compartment. The grey and black water are going into a single tank that I am fabricating out of fiberglass.

Man do I need to seriously update my thread...

"What's the matter Col Sanders? Chicken?" -Dark Helmet

lu·di·crous [loo-di-kruhs]
adjective
causing laughter because of absurdity; provoking or deserving derision; ridiculous; laughable

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=11840
TheRainbowBoxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 10:20 AM   #14
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Mine is sitting indoors on top of the driver side rear wheel well. No room below but at least it will be temperature stable.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 02:41 PM   #15
Skoolie

I was thinking in the back under the bed would be ideal because under a bed is a lot of space. My question with that is are there any issues with the tank being further from the sink shower and toilet? Also, any good advice on shopping for tanks?
Old 05-16-2016, 05:19 PM   #16
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Underbed is a very common placement. Good idea to make the surrounding containment watertight...just in case. And Ebay is about as good a place as any to shop. At least I've had good luck there.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 05:38 PM   #17
Bus Crazy

Chassis: HDX
Engine: Cat C7
Rated Cap: 84 passenger
Under MY bed are the aft heater and a wheel arch. Oh, and my footlocker, too.
CaptSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 06:33 PM   #18
Bus Nut

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Ward
Chassis: International
Engine: Navistar 5.9 Diesel
Rated Cap: A butt-load...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
Underbed is a very common placement. Good idea to make the surrounding containment watertight...just in case. And Ebay is about as good a place as any to shop. At least I've had good luck there.
That's where I got mine from. 33gal, 4 fittings, fits great right where I wanted it ;)

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
skoolie_n00bie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 09:54 AM   #19
Skoolie

Found one on eBay but am unsure. It's 100 gal and measures 81.25 in which is almost perfect but perhaps a tad big. In the picture on my first post in this thread you can see the back of the bus. The width of the inside is 84.25" from the stud to the coolant lines. I feel that is sufficient except for the fittings on the tank are not included in the measurement. I figure I could raise the tank up so the fittings are all above my coolant lines. The snug fit is rather appealing...
Old 05-17-2016, 03:40 PM   #20
Bus Nut

Chassis: Freight-shaker (Freightliner)
Engine: Cat 3126b 250 HP
Rated Cap: Only 1 seat
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptSquid View Post
Under MY bed are the aft heater and a wheel arch. Oh, and my footlocker, too.

You're locking your foot under your bed?????
Docsgsxr is offline   Reply With Quote