Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-01-2018, 09:39 PM   #1

76 ford b700 ceiling insulation

Hey y'all I'm new. We got a 76 ford with a 460 and 2 speed rear end. It's great. However zero insulation at all. We did the walls and was going to put pink batting in the ribs. The ceiling is tore off which wasn't bad. Going to do .5" there and we got 1.5 in the walls. We plan on living in it this winter in northern Michigan. Heat will come from a wood stove. No real kitchen or bathroom. Mostly hangout and bed space. So question is the pink stuff ok just in the ribs? If not what else besides gap filler stuff? I have all the walls insulation in. Should I use foil tape on seems or is gape filler ok to seal stuff? Once ceiling is insulated well use thin lauon. The wood stove is good for 800 sq ft. Any tips.

Baley the bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 10:11 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Welcome Bailey,

I think that the pink batting will do you fine if you are an Eskimo.

For the the rest of us, more insulation would be a good thing.

Closed cell polyurethane insulation is a much better product for our application. It has more than double the R value per inch and seals air leaks.

If you are going to winter on the UP I would recommend that you pay a LOT of attention to insulation.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 03:53 PM   #3

Well I'm not an Eskimo or living in the up. But it does get cold. We are basically using the bus for a bedroom since housing in the farm is packed full. And bus as we know skirts housing codes. We don't need it to be hot all the time. Just basically the ability to get warm and stay dry.
Old 08-02-2018, 04:12 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 86
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
Be careful with the store bought spray foam stuff.
Some are not compatible with metal and could eat through the metal in a few years.
Easiest is to find the tech. Services phone number on the product and ask them specific questions of your intended purpose of there product.
An opinion
Ridgid board insulation is better than Batted insulation in our installations.
I can't say much more cause there are a few areas in my build that I used batted duct wrap insulation in my build.
But you will never catch me staying anywhere cold.
I might be passing through but I will only be stopping for fuel.
Good luck
Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 05:00 PM   #5

I don't wanna use spray foam. I did use a product called great stuff to fix in any small gaps.
Old 08-02-2018, 05:26 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
1/2" is only going to give you and R factor of 3. I would recommend at least 1-1/2"- 2" in all walls and floor and ceiling.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 05:48 PM   #7

We did 1.5 in the walls. The floor is getting covered with a **** ton of sheep hides. The height inside is only 6 ft. I'm 5 11. There really isn't the room to do the floor. I more so want it so it won't condensate. The wood stove will probably keep the place warm. But I don't want to get wet with drips. We're used to cold. Last winter we stayed in a uninsulated cabin with single pane windows. It was nippy but felt good. The house is probably 300 feet from where were parked so that's our day time spot.
Old 08-02-2018, 06:51 PM   #8
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu
I'm confused. When you say "So question is the pink stuff ok just in the ribs? " does that imply that you are using something else between the ribs and up against the roof? Are you going to stuff the pinkstuff (fiberglass insulation?) in the ribs? If so, stuffing bat material in tight reduces the trapped air in the batting and completely negates its effectiveness. To make matters even morecomplicated, spraying foam insulation (Great Stuff and others) into a closed system like the ribs keeps the product from expanding--which is necessary for it to work. Hope this helps. Jack
ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 07:05 PM   #9

It's not packed. It's lose. The great stuff filled holes and then excess cut off with a razor
Old 08-02-2018, 07:08 PM   #10

I'm using foam board under the windows and covering almost all windows minus 9. Most windows will be on south side of bus when parked. The foam board is 1.5 inch r5.8. The pink stuff in the ribs is just to fill the space and help maybe not lose heat there.
Old 08-02-2018, 07:19 PM   #11
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baley the bus View Post
I'm using foam board under the windows and covering almost all windows minus 9. Most windows will be on south side of bus when parked. The foam board is 1.5 inch r5.8. The pink stuff in the ribs is just to fill the space and help maybe not lose heat there.
The ribs are hollow. Are putting pink stuff in the ribs, or in the space between the ribs?
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 07:54 PM   #12

In the ribs on either side of the windows