Old 02-14-2017, 11:00 AM   #11
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International S3800
Engine: DT360
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
with minisplits, I wouldnt run them on the road... road A/C they are not.. im sure soke here will say they run theirs on the road... as for the chinese units.. yeah theres bad ones.. but again Ive got 3 Highly modified (meaning they arent used for their intended purpose... well sort of they do cool and heat my house...).. chionese units ..since 2009 and they all work fine..

mitsubishi is the defacto standard unit.. and it costs twice as much as the others.. and mitsi wants them to only be pro-installed though you cvan get them on retail now...

theres no easy way to rattle proof a mini.. other than not use it on the road..

my units have toshiba compressors.. alot of them have sanyo compressors..

my experience with failed chinese units were they were installed in areas they shouldnt have been.. ie expected to cool so much space that they ran on maxx all the time..

imnverter compressors are great, efficient, and such until you run them at full bore.. then the boards and the motors heat up and they dont last... the boards usually burn up.. the MOSFETs on the driver boards.. alot of people throw the units away when that happens.. they can be fixed..

somewhereinusa has the right idea as he has 2 of them in his bus so neither likely runs full bore for very long

onme would be fine in a short insulated bus.. id want 2 in a long insulated bus..

and using one in a non insulated bus i think asks for trouble..

the mitsubishi units are heavier duty commercial units.. they are designed to run 24/7/365 so if you plan to tax a unit hard it may be worth it to buy these pricier units.. they are no doubt good units.

all comes down to budget and whgat conditions you are running them in.

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 08:41 PM   #12
Skoolie

Year: 1975
Chassis: Gillig
Engine: Cat 3208t/10 speed transmission
Thanks Christopher.
I am seeking alternatives to roof top AC. I would like to find something quieter.
Old 02-18-2017, 07:54 PM   #13
Mini-Skoolie

Great info here!

Adam
El Tanke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:23 AM   #14
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
the MOSFETs on the driver boards.. alot of people throw the units away when that happens.. they can be fixed
Good to know that's a common issue. I'll add them to my scavenging list. UPS units and LCDs also tend to die from simple stuff like bad MOSFETs or popped capacitors. I've gotten good deals on busted equipment from time to time knowing how to just read component values and solder in replacements.
lucasd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 10:15 AM   #15
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International S3800
Engine: DT360
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucasd View Post
Good to know that's a common issue. I'll add them to my scavenging list. UPS units and LCDs also tend to die from simple stuff like bad MOSFETs or popped capacitors. I've gotten good deals on busted equipment from time to time knowing how to just read component values and solder in replacements.

the number of "free" UPS units ive gotten just because the standard 12 volt Lead acid batteries went bad is amazing... picked up more than a few, new batteries and off they go..

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hvac, minisplit