Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-09-2018, 05:46 AM   #1
Almost There

Built in AC Units - Remove?

Can I ask why anyone would want to get rid of the AC units that are built into the bus?

I live in Florida and it seems those inside AC units are getting pretty common on buses we are looking at here. Is there something about the system that isn't compatible with a schoolie conversion? Should we be avoiding them for conversion?

I assume they only work with the engine running so that limits their effectiveness and they do tend to be damn ugly and in really bad locations for a schoolie but not having any AC while your driving would suck no?

I am just getting into this schoolie world so please forgive any nativity as I am still just trying to figure this all out.

PNWorBUST72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 07:48 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
since I drive my busses on average 15,000+ miles per year(each). (to florida in the summer too).... I say never get rid of the inside A/C unless you like to sweat driving.. me personally? i have no interest in going back to the days of towels wrapped around our heads to stay cool on those hot school field trip rides...

if you have a rear engine bus you have a better shot at a generator and whatever electric A/C you choose for camping keeping you somewhat cool on the road.. in a front engine bus even insulated you have a lot of engine heat to contend with.. not to mention that nig windshield with the sun beaming in.

I see a lot of people pull one unit out.. keep the front one. if you must choose.. and insulate your bus very well. and you'll have comfort for driving plus whatever you choose for being parked..

alot depends on whether you chase the 65-70 degree weather year round, only drive your bus short distances and dont care about the heat, .. mostly personal preference..

if you remove them nicely (and dont just slash them out). then there are people who would likely take them off of your hands if they work..

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 08:03 AM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 72
You can take my AC units when you pry them from my chilly dead hands.

I think a lot of folks get the idea that they're going to run some window units or other electric driven form of AC, but haven't yet come to terms with the reality of generating and/or storing that sort of juice when not plugged into someone else's outlet. You already have a big diesel generator in your bus, it can run your AC and produce electricity and propel you down the road at the same time, and doesn't cost thousands of additional dollars to purchase.

Lots of threads on here of people trying to figure ou how to cool or heat their bus.
brokedown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 08:03 AM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
I'll take any unwanted ac units!!
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 08:07 AM   #5
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
I'll take any unwanted ac units!!
same here.. i could use another one in my DEV bus..

-Christopher
Old 01-09-2018, 08:26 AM   #6
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
same here.. i could use another one in my DEV bus..

-Christopher
Lets turn these shorties into freezers!

IDK who built mine but I need a new shroud, mines cracking apart.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 08:57 AM   #7
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
I took the road air out of my first bus. It was a huge mistake.

I had two 12k Btu roof airs and a generator to run them. They worked great when parked but couldn't keep up when on the road.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 09:59 AM   #8
Bus Geek

If it's old and broken, and not going to be repaired.

Many old units are designed around refrigerant no longer legally obtainable and *have* to be replaced.

Many people live in climates where aircon is unnecessary, or just follow the 60's, whole point of being mobile.

And some object to that whole category of technology on principle, as accelerating the approaching inability of Gaia to support human life anymore.

But then they're probably not driving skoolies around much
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 10:30 AM   #9
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
Have you seen the new construction with the quite small apartments that are being built? They say 350 to 400 sf apartments. Still bigger than a bus and still on the grid.
Old 01-09-2018, 12:07 PM   #10
Bus Nut

Coachwork: New Flyer
Chassis: D45HF "Viking"
Engine: 11.1L Detroit Diesel S60
Rated Cap: 51,600
I'm still trying to decide what to do with my road AC. It runs on R-22 and as of 1/1/2018 R-22 is a dodo. I can convert to R-134, but I loose half my capacity (or so the engineering docs say). I can convert to R-407 and keep my capacity. Either way, the compressor has to be refurb'ed to run with new lubricant.

Or, I can just run the R-22 until it finally leaks out and then decide.

Even then I still have to come up with a way to stay cool when parked. The big diesel in the back is really, really loud....
MarkyDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 12:08 PM   #11
Almost There

Ok well, maybe my assumptions were wrong.

How can I tell if the AC units are using an easily accessible refrigerant and any specifics things to look for other then does it run cold or make noise or the other obvious signs the system is faulty?
Old 01-09-2018, 12:40 PM   #12
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
If it's old and broken, and not going to be repaired.

Many old units are designed around refrigerant no longer legally obtainable and *have* to be replaced.

Many people live in climates where aircon is unnecessary, or just follow the 60's, whole point of being mobile.

And some object to that whole category of technology on principle, as accelerating the approaching inability of Gaia to support human life anymore.

But then they're probably not driving skoolies around much
Yeah that's the only reason I'd remove them...if it's a outlawed refrigerate...if it's 134A then it's legal...when I'm facing this myself...l certainly plan to make space for them

Sent from my VS500PP using Tapatalk
Jdawgsfanasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 12:42 PM   #13
Almost There

We also intend on spending most of our time in the PNW so typically temps are pretty mild.

We might however take the first year and road make it a road trip all over the US.
Old 01-09-2018, 12:53 PM   #14
Bus Geek

the units are tagged... in Coaches or Transit busses ive seen R-22 (defunct) used.. esp in the older ones..

in school busses newer than 1996 ive only seen R-134a.. there will be a tag siomewhere on the bus with the refrigerant capacity.. on mine its inside the battery door.. tells the refirgerant type and capacity... if your bus was bought with the A/C factory and the mamnufacturer is still in business you can email or call them and get info on your system... many bluenbirds used Trans/AIR. which is still in business.. the VIN of my bus sent to them and they told me everything about it including replacement part info..

Thermoking is another common one and is also still in business...

Carrier was used in many Cutaway short-busses and is defunct (carrier still makes fixed A/C but not mobile)

-Christopher
Old 01-09-2018, 01:06 PM   #15
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
Speaking of A/C, I want to add that to my shorty BlueBird. There is a boneyard not too far away that has several systems (I have yet to go actually look), which system(s) would you personally look for? No point getting a marginal system if there's something better I can get, at the same cost.
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 01:12 PM   #16
Bus Geek

you have the best shot for replacement parts in the future on a Trans/AIR. as most of that stuff is still made.. you can srtill get replacement relay boards, fan motors, louvers, etc..

Linesets are pretty application specific so you might want to make those new using Burgaclip style fittings.. I havent had one of those leak yet and its a captive O-ring type fitting that can still swivel.. I have the burgaclip tool if you need to borrow it..
-Christopher
Old 01-09-2018, 01:19 PM   #17
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
you have the best shot for replacement parts in the future on a Trans/AIR. as most of that stuff is still made.. you can srtill get replacement relay boards, fan motors, louvers, etc..

Linesets are pretty application specific so you might want to make those new using Burgaclip style fittings.. I havent had one of those leak yet and its a captive O-ring type fitting that can still swivel.. I have the burgaclip tool if you need to borrow it..
-Christopher
What I am hoping to find is a unit I can install on the side, right behind the driver so it can cool the passengers, too. The guys at the boneyard seemed pretty knowledgeable about it so I'm thinking and hoping they'll disassemble it all without too much collateral damage and I can reinstall it without needing too many replacement parts.

Or should I just get a center mount and be done with it? I'd prefer it in the front of the bus and not over the rear exit (I also have a wheelchair lift in the back), and there may be luggage concerns at some point. My bus will probably remain a people-hauler, at least in the foreseeable future.
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 01:21 PM   #18
Almost There

How are the mini splits or even one of those free standing AC's power wise? Could I run them on both shore and while driving?

Are those small window units feasible?
Old 01-09-2018, 02:55 PM   #19
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNWorBUST72 View Post
How are the mini splits or even one of those free standing AC's power wise? Could I run them on both shore and while driving?

Are those small window units feasible?
minisplits are fantastic for being parked... a 12,000 BTU mini will take about 1000-1100 watts when running full tilt.. thats a lot of power unless you have big batteries, an extra alternator, or as running a generator.. and 12,000 BTU isnt much cooling for on the road in a front-engine bus..

I bought a top of the line 2 hose standalone inverter-friendly 12,000 BTU unit. and it is not very good.. since all of the heat is still generated inside its cabinet the out-flow hose gets pretty hot. and doesnt movde the heat that a mini-split does for the same amount of electricity...

brad - my A/C is in the back of redbyrd and I need more up-front, and im just a 6 window bus.. on those hot southern summer trips im not sweating but im not freezing either.. and can be on the warm side if im heading into the sun.. I looked into moving my unit over the front. however being that my bird isnt a high ceiling it would end up being a head-bumper all the time.. so im going to add a second evaporator up-front and do the custom Dash-air thing I like I did in my DEV bus..

the side mount units are nice.. you can put it near to the middle or front, and even duct a couple vents up to you pretty easily.

-Christopher
Old 01-09-2018, 05:21 PM   #20
Almost There

How easy/hard are these things to remove later should I upgrade?

Obviously the interior build is a factor but what about mechanically?