Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-31-2016, 03:04 PM   #21
Almost There

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: Gensis
We plan to use a wood stove, Cubic Mini to be exact, as we like the dry heat and live in Oregon where the mountains get cold. We are not living in ours but I have seen reviews of folks who do. My intention is to use a window (or remove) to be able vent out in the winter and not cut a hole in my roof. The price seems to be sub 600 with accessories and even has some nice wall mounts etc. There is another called like the minow or something but its like $1200 and essentially the same thing.

Here are some links. You will find some youtube videos also of people heating thier cabins and trailers year round with these.

Cubic Mini Wood Stoves - Mini wood stoves
and
SARDINE STOVE INFO & SPECS.

There are a few others but if you search for Boat Stoves you will find plenty.

Crozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 08:17 AM   #22

If you want to burn diesel for heat, don't idle, that's bad economy.

Webasto makes heaters that burn diesel. A couple of their larger units would heat a full size bus well, I think.
shepd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 12:37 PM   #23
Mini-Skoolie

Hi Crozz.
The main issue with any stove you purchase is it ability to be sealed. A loose design simple means you will be up all night trying to "feed the beast". I am sure you already know this but for those without experience...is is a real eye opener...literally.

The Minnow looks like a fantastic design. I saw that earlier and if I had the pennies, it would be on its way to me right now. Have you used the Cubic Mini before?? Thanks
American is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 08:22 PM   #24
Bus Nut

Year: 1990
Coachwork: BB
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: Cummins
Rated Cap: 25.999K
Hi. My plans for the upcoming cold is to build a small rocket stove. I will also put a propane heater as well, I just prefer wood. I would do a rocket-mass, but I am not into adding weight (the mass) to my bus. I am a diesel guy from way back, and have no issues with a diesel idling for a long time (old mechanically pumped diesels that is). A bigger concern i have with your first post is that you said you are buying a Ford 6.0??? I don't want to be a nay-Sayer, or come across as negative, but The Ford 6.0 diesel (International Diesel) is riddled with problems. Do some research on that engine, there are lots of issues and they all come with big dollar signs behind them to fix. I assume this will start a debate, that is not my intent.
SDR76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 08:36 PM   #25
Mini-Skoolie

Oh the 6.0....

Yes...we have been given much advice about the 6.0. My views about camper, buses and houses are a bit different than most. You use them as a tool and when they are done, you take them to the scrapyard and move on. I appreciate your concern. I just feel like for the price we can steel these 450 at. I might just buy two and keep one in reserve.

I will let you know how this plan works out. The LORD could come back on day 120 of my plan and I will be glad I didn't sit around for a better deal.

I'm super interested in your rocket stove...what are you going to make it out of??
Old 09-01-2016, 08:46 PM   #26
Skoolie

Year: 1995
Coachwork: International
Chassis: Carpenter
Engine: d466 mechanical
So weird to have a lot of people talking about heating their bus. The best thing to do to survive winter is live in florida fyi
Old 09-01-2016, 08:48 PM   #27
Bus Nut

Good. At least you are not going into this blind. I have a couple friends that have put over 10k into fixing their 6.0s. I have a 2004 F350 that has a 12 valve Cummins in it for a reason.... Moving On....rocket stove= My plan is to use an inner burn chamber of about 4" square tubing, about 1.5' tall with a horizontal feed tube and an angled one (for self feeding). Then put another layer around that for insulation to keep the burn chamber good and hot, then case the whole thing in about a 18" diameter pipe, or perhaps an old propane tank or the likes (put a flat on top for cooking of course). Have the exhaust come out of the side, keeping it low to get better suction for the "rocket effect"...
Old 09-01-2016, 08:56 PM   #28
Mini-Skoolie

Nowherefast...I hear you...except two winter's ago I did that and we all froze our tails off. Every buddy was running to Miami and it even got cold down there.

I think SDR76 might be on to something...if he can keep the weight down.
Old 09-01-2016, 08:58 PM   #29
Mini-Skoolie

SDR...I think you gonna have way too much oxygen...how you gonna control that flame? You'll be up all night feeding that beast...

How do you control it?
Old 09-01-2016, 09:43 PM   #30
Bus Nut

Sorry, I forgot that part. I would plug off one of the inlet holes while burning. Most likely I would start the fire in the horizontal chamber, then once it's going feed it via the angled self feed hole. At that point, I would close off the horizontal part. I saw a stove on youtube where the guy used square tubing, and had the decorative end-caps for it like you see on steel fences, they slip on over the end fairly snug. I would also employ a baffle of some type to be able to adjust the airflow.
Old 09-03-2016, 09:08 AM   #31
Bus Nut

Year: 1984
Engine: 366 Big block Chevy! :) w/ Stick shift
Any guidance surrounding the distance from the stove to the gas tank?

Thanks!
Carytowncat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hearing