Old 08-28-2016, 05:17 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Bus Heating. Best Options

Hi everyone.

We are fixing to buy our first bus. We have been on the road for years in a camper.

What does everyone use to heat. We will be off grid most of the time.

We will be getting a short bus. Here are some options. Let us know what you use.

1. Propane. Not my favorite.

2. Wood stove. Favorite. We had an enclosed trailer that I put a Cabellas Tent stove in it. Ran the stack right through the roof. Bought it new. Cut the hole on day two. I was committed. Success...momma cooking beans and cornbread on Mount Baker in WA. Fantastic.

3. Deisel?? No clue. Can I just let the engine idle and run heater all night? Seems wasteful.

4. Solar? Not enough interest or money.

5. ???

We will be living in this with children. We are used to closed quarters. My main thought is to put a hitch on the back with a 500 lb luggage carrier attached and build a small room on the back of the bus to house kitchen and wood stove. We are buying a Ford 6.0 so I will not get to carried away with an RV build. Hillbilly construction is what I like. Built cabins for years.

So...any thoughts
American is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 05:25 PM   #2
Mini-Skoolie

Wood. Our first bus has a stove and we'd like to put one in the second (though we may not). If you're off the grid use what you'll have on hand; conserve your propane.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
BuSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 05:29 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Yes. Wood is so nice. We were in the desert of AZ and even then found wood to burn. (Actually some of the hottest wood we hAve ever used.

The only issue is finding a tight small stove that isn't over a grand. The Cabellas was 200 bucks but wasn't the best burner. I would have to be up all night feeding the fire. I loved the freedom but missed the sleep.

What stove do you use?
Old 08-28-2016, 06:03 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Some old thing that came from a yard sale. I hate this one specifically but it keeps us very warm.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
BuSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 09:19 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 1984
Engine: 366 Big block Chevy! :) w/ Stick shift
Hi,

Hillbilly construction is my favorite. That way when i change my mind i dont have to weep over all the time spent making it perfect... because it sure aint. lol

I have a vozelgang wood stove, and recently dumpstered a direct vent Empire gas heater. It is set up for natural gas but they sell a propane conversion for $70 online.
Not sure yet but the cold will tell, would like to have both and keep my options open.
Carytowncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 09:32 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Thank you. That is the one item about wood that is a reality with children. You need it warm quick. Propane works well for that but I'd rather find another option. Good luck on your Empire.

What about running the diesel all night? Is that just absurd? What's the issue? Gas consumption? Anything else?
Old 08-28-2016, 09:43 PM   #7
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 2 elderly children
14,000btu Planar diesel.

Elec. when plugged in.
Old 08-29-2016, 08:24 AM   #8
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Seems to me that a combination of options would be best overall. Electric for when you can plug in...propane & wood as backups for when not plugged in (Wallydocking/boondocking).
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 11:06 AM   #9
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International S3800
Engine: DT360
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
I just leave the bus run with the climate controls active.. toss an air mattress on the floor next to the nearest vent..

tree huggers and new york state claim not to like it...

im also not living for camping in it.. mine is more like a truckers rig..

having a warm wood fire has a nice aroma and a warm place for the family to gather round.. so in your situation id go wood as long as you have a good supply of firewood even in harsh conditions.. unless you are going to warm-breeze chase
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 09:26 PM   #10
Mini-Skoolie

Thank you CK. I like to know every possible option. It's easy to get in trouble in touch weather. We will be riding the wind this year and boy could I tell you some stories...

Like a one way gravel road around the cascade mountains with a trailer and no way to turn around...the road kept getting smaller...the drop off kept getting bigger...and we kept driving up as the road curved around this mountain...

I seem to find myself in a lot of those...I like having backups for my backups.

So...good to know I can run my engine/heater all night without dinging something...do you think I could do it for a week?

Tags
hearing