Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-07-2019, 11:34 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Climateright a/c unit vs roof a/c

Getting ahead of the summer by thinking of a/c.

Partially insulated 8 row dog nose. Thermal curtains. Insulated floor & walls. Louisiana-based. Week/weekend trips.

Looking at penguin II low profile 13,500 btu, but intrigued by Climateright 10,000 btu unit http://www.climateright.com . People appear to be using them on teardrop campers.

The climateright is only 16 inches height, so way less bulky than a mini split, and just about hideable under the skirt - though I would have to finagle ducting for it though. And some kind of frame so she doesn’t drop on the road.

The penguin would be more BTUs, and probably an easy drop install on the roof - but I have heard they are loud, and not that efficient (cos they are baking in the sun on the roof!).

Any thoughts, experience, concerns appreciated.

cheers

Douggy

Douggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 11:59 PM   #2
Skoolie

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: GA39530
Engine: DT466E 215hp 620tq
Rated Cap: 40
I have a 30' flat nose Amtran and was thinking of using a 5000 btu Climaterite to cool the front and a 10k btu unit to cool the rear. I too like the compact size but have read they have some quality issues so Im still on the fence as to which way to go, split mini, roof mount or climaterite. There is also a window unit disected into a ducted unit, they are cheap enough to play with.
FamilyCircus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 12:32 AM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

The height of the split mini kinda knocked that off my list, too much hang down. I can see me just going roof ac, since that’s the easy way out...I think.

Thanks for your thoughts!
Douggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 08:29 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu
Find the measurements on a mini split and tape a similar sized piece of card board to the side of your bus hanging down the way the mini split would. Next find a drive approach with the steepest slope you can find and with the help of a spotter make a few test passes with your bus to see if everything clears. Mid wheelbase will be the worst and just before the rear wheels will be the best.

I went with a 6K BTU room a/c for my short bus because I'd already used up all the under bus space. It is a bit loud on high fan but just fine on lower settings. Nevertheless, it is no worse than several of the roof mounts I've had on standard RVs where the entire roof vibrated.

. Jack
ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote