Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-15-2017, 05:20 PM   #1
Skoolie

Cubic mini grizzly install

Since its getting colder in Idaho and the propane brick heater is putting out too much moisture and causing lots of condensation on the windshield of the bus I decided to get a "Grizzly" stove and see how it will work for me. (Coke bottle pic for size comparison). I haven't decided on a final location for it but a good spot for a test run was by a window so I stuck it there for now. It does a good job of keeping the bus warm, its so nice to have a wood stove to cuddle up to again. Spent the first 30 years of my life with one. Since it takes small pieces of wood, the perfect place to get wood to burn was my friends wood flooring plant just down the road from me. Got a 4 cubic foot bin full of hardwood flooring scraps for 50 bucks. I just got it going 3 nights ago so still playing with air settings on it. Last night about 11 pm I stuck 4 six inch pieces of oak in it and turned the air about 1/4 open and went to bed. At 5 am there were just enough coals to rake around that by putting a few little scraps on them I was able to get it burning again. I bought one of those fans that run off heat and set on the top of it and there was just enough heat left in it that the fan was just barely turning this morning. It is almost too small to hold a fire through the night but it does a good job of heating by adding a few chunks of wood to it every several hours. I think if I had one much bigger it might be hard to throttle it down and that might lead to creosote issues. Its such a cute little thing too!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_5160.JPG   IMG_5162.JPG   IMG_5164.JPG   IMG_5161.JPG  

84chevyguyid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 09:57 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 65
We've got the same stove and are getting ready to install it in the coming weeks. We're considering the same stove-top fan too. I'm very curious how it performed on the test run! Did it keep the bus toasty at night?

-Drew
Drew Bru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 12:11 AM   #3
Skoolie

The stove puts out good heat but if I fill it up for going through the night and turn the air down most of the way it likes to leak some creosote liquid out and it makes a bit of a mess. I knew my chimney setup going through the window and using single wall pipe outside isnt good for keeping creosote down but wanted to see how the stove would do before I decided on a permanent location. Finding any piping for it local was impossible so I called Cubic Mini up and got schooled on what I needed to have to do it right and ended up ordering their stainless double wall pipe for the stove. Hopefully it will be here in a week and I can get the install finished up then I will be able to see how long of burn times it will do and not have to deal with creosote problems. Bottom line though is I really like the stove! Be sure and post up your experiences with yours when you get it hooked up.
84chevyguyid is offline   Reply With Quote