Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-24-2017, 05:52 PM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: AARE 3903
Engine: Cummins 8.3L 12v
Rated Cap: 78
Diesel Coolant Heater (Webasto / Espar / Planar)

I've been exploring different options for hydronic heating using the existing bus coolant heaters, and leaning toward installing a diesel fired heater to heat the coolant while parked. It seems like our bus was even originally equipped with one of these, as it still has the switches for the aux heater and pump but it was removed at some point. Seems like it was mounted just forward of the transmission cooler, which is also where the heater hoses head up to the heater runs.

Seems like Webasto was often the original equipment on many school buses if they had them. Haven't found a price for the 47,000 btu School Bus specific model, but the equivalent commercial versions seem to run around $2k. May try to find a used or rebuilt one, as thats a bit painful. Particularly as this will mostly be our backup heat if we get into situations where the solar / mini split heat pumps can't handle the cold. Also came across the European Espar and Russian Planar brands. The Planar 14kw version seems to be about equivalent on btus, and half the price which is pretty tempting.

Anyone have any experience with these?

Rob

miscrms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 06:28 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 6CTA8.3 Mechanical MD3060
Rated Cap: 46 Coach Seats, 40 foot
Quote:
Originally Posted by miscrms View Post
I've been exploring different options for hydronic heating using the existing bus coolant heaters, and leaning toward installing a diesel fired heater to heat the coolant while parked. It seems like our bus was even originally equipped with one of these, as it still has the switches for the aux heater and pump but it was removed at some point. Seems like it was mounted just forward of the transmission cooler, which is also where the heater hoses head up to the heater runs.

Seems like Webasto was often the original equipment on many school buses if they had them. Haven't found a price for the 47,000 btu School Bus specific model, but the equivalent commercial versions seem to run around $2k. May try to find a used or rebuilt one, as thats a bit painful. Particularly as this will mostly be our backup heat if we get into situations where the solar / mini split heat pumps can't handle the cold. Also came across the European Espar and Russian Planar brands. The Planar 14kw version seems to be about equivalent on btus, and half the price which is pretty tempting.

Anyone have any experience with these?

Rob
I'll go with the Planar too. Seems a solid unit, price is good and they really aren't that complicated. Eber and Webasto have lived on their reputation for a long time, it's time they had competition.

Build Thread
Twigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 06:47 PM   #3
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twigg View Post
I'll go with the Planar too. Seems a solid unit, price is good and they really aren't that complicated. Eber and Webasto have lived on their reputation for a long time, it's time they had competition.
That's kind of my thought too. The only knock on them I've seen is the Webasto and Espar seem like they can be tuned to run at higher altitudes, but the Planar can't. Or at least there isn't a standard kit / procedure for it. May still try to find a rebuilt or rebuildable Webasto, but the Planar is sounding pretty good. Especially at ~$800 from the Canadian dealer on eBay. Does sound like the english installation directions aren't very clear though from what I've read.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Planar-Dies...%257Ciid%253A1
Old 11-24-2017, 06:49 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 6CTA8.3 Mechanical MD3060
Rated Cap: 46 Coach Seats, 40 foot
Quote:
Originally Posted by miscrms View Post
That's kind of my thought too. The only knock on them I've seen is the Webasto and Espar seem like they can be tuned to run at higher altitudes, but the Planar can't. Or at least there isn't a standard kit / procedure for it. May still try to find a rebuilt or rebuildable Webasto, but the Planar is sounding pretty good. Especially at ~$800 from the Canadian dealer on eBay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Planar-Dies...%257Ciid%253A1
Ask the dealer about altitude. I thought they were rated to about 9000 feet anyway.

Build Thread
Twigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 06:50 PM   #5
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twigg View Post
Ask the dealer about altitude. I thought they were rated to about 9000 feet anyway.
Yeah, I've read they crap out around 8-9,000 ft.
Old 11-27-2017, 10:43 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Coachwork: bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins, Allison AT1545
Rated Cap: 2
2coolforschool and i both have the planar heaters. any issue i had was installer's (me) fault. i think i recall 2cool servicing his once as well.

i've been happy with the planar, except over 9k'. right now im living in it and its my primary heat. @7800 near Alamosa Colorado.

`
Old 11-27-2017, 10:55 PM   #7
Skoolie

Very cool, thanks turf. Appreciate it.

Are you using one of the hydronic ones in combination with the original bus heaters, or one of the direct to air units?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk