Old 10-11-2012, 09:34 AM   #11
Bus Nut

Year: 1992
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: All American RE
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
Re: Efficient fridges?

Oops, I didn't mention that both units are 5 cu ft GE freezers from Home Depot. Energy Star says 240kwh/yr. I'm using one of the johnson controls temp units to control the fridge. I found it on a home brewing website.

In my opinion, if you can deal with the inconvenience of a chest style container, the converted freezer is the way to go. Short of using an ice box, I don't think you can beat 200 watts a day for a fridge.
syke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 09:49 AM   #12
Bus Nut

Would not an upright freezer work just as well??? Without the (everything being buried) on the bottom problem?
Seems to me you would only be giving up the top counter space......

Just thinking out loud again...
Old 10-11-2012, 10:01 AM   #13
Site Team

When you open a front freezer you lose alot of "cold" as it rolls out of the freezer

A chest type when lid is open the cold drops down so you dont lose it
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 10:43 AM   #14
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89

I've had three chest freezers & four uprights. I prefer the upright. I spend far less time with the door open digging thru everything looking for a specific item. I can organize an upright freezer better than a chest freezer. I think it is more a matter of preference than anything else. That and we both have bad backs. Hanging upside down in a chest freezer digging out a roast (it's always on the very bottom) does not do our backs any favours. And yes, I have put my back out while digging thru my mom's chest freezer because she couldn't reach down to the bottom for that last package of venison. That involved a trip to the chiropractor. Chest freezers can be very expensive for me! So I choose an upright. I've had both and when going from one type to the other have seen no difference in our power bills. So I think the actual power usage is small. But I'm not a boondocker and do not have to watch every watt used.
http://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
http://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 10:08 AM   #15
Mini-Skoolie

After seeing the converted chest freezer in use, I'm planning to go this route
rancid0076 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 02:10 PM   #16
Bus Nut

Year: 1976
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: Dodge S-600
Engine: 360 V8
Rated Cap: 66

I was looking at the owner's manual of a Magic Chef refrigerator and it instructs the user to avoid putting it "in a moving vehicle. This unit is not designed to be installed in an RV or used with an inverter. This unit is intended for household use only." The product specifies 115/120 V, 60 Hz house current as the required power source.

This brings up a question re: inverters in general. The manufacturer of an appliance cannot reasonably anticipate all permutations of RV power systems out there, hence restrictions that will void the warranty if the user defies them. In terms of physics, what matters is that the juice going into the appliance is the right voltage, frequency and amps. That's what you get with the inverters sold by the company mentioned in this post on available inverters/chargers. So am I correct that one wouldn't have anything to worry about with a proper inverter? Every appliance/electronic device I recall acquiring has outlived its warranty.

As far as a household refrigerator being too delicate mechanically to survive use in a motor vehicle, I suspect that's a non-issue unless you're doing serious off-roading. They have to be built tough enough to survive the trip from the factory (usually in China these days ) on ships, trains and trucks to your friendly neighborhood Walmart/Home Depot/Sears etc.
Old 11-23-2012, 03:53 PM   #17
Bus Nut

Lots...... Lots of RVers use the residential Fridge in their motorhomes, buses, 5ers etc........ If the magic Chef says no It's to cover their butt...... I know NuWa (maker of 5th wheels) offers the residential Fridge as an option in their new units so there should not be a problem. I installed a residential fridge in my first motorhome and never had a problem with over 2 years of use. It was a Frigidaire unit from Lowes. just for your info.....
Old 11-23-2012, 07:48 PM   #18
Almost There

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466 / AT545
Rated Cap: 71

I'm going to put a residential fridge in mine... plus I have seen alot of store bought RVs like Grey Eagle said that has them in theirs...

http://s1253.beta.photobucket.com/us...k1961/library/
kimberlink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 10:27 PM   #19
Bus Nut

Year: 1976
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: Dodge S-600
Engine: 360 V8
Rated Cap: 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyEagle
Lots...... Lots of RVers use the residential Fridge in their motorhomes, buses, 5ers etc........ If the magic Chef says no It's to cover their butt......
Gotta protect themselves from warranty claims stemming from people who F up their install because they don't use Skoolie.net to get it right...
Quote:
I installed a residential fridge in my first motorhome and never had a problem with over 2 years of use. It was a Frigidaire unit from Lowes. just for your info.....
And I bet it was a fraction of the cost of one designed especially for RVs. The prices for those are obscene: I abandoned the idea of an RV fridge after reading earlier posts here.

Yes, The residential Fridge from Lowe's was only $279.95 plus tax.......
The last (last) RV fridge I will ever buy was $1869.06 installed........
Nevermore