Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-18-2017, 11:03 PM   #1
Almost There

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E 3800 7.3L
Emergency Exit - Roof/Ceiling Fan Options

Has anyone taken their emergency roof vents and converted them into RV fans? With the food truck, I'll need to port hot air out and plan to replace the two roof vents with them but wanted to see if others had done it and any other information I could get.

Unfortunately most that I found are either 14x14 or close to that. When I measured the other day, it was around 23x23 so it would be nice if I could use the biggest vent fan I could find.

This is on the top of my list at this point and I'll be buying something in the next week or two at the most. Any feedback is appreciated.

Thanks

Here's an example of one but it's small in my opinion.

Fan-Tastic Vent's Retail 12 Volt Fans

Marvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 11:12 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post
Has anyone taken their emergency roof vents and converted them into RV fans? With the food truck, I'll need to port hot air out and plan to replace the two roof vents with them but wanted to see if others had done it and any other information I could get.

Unfortunately most that I found are either 14x14 or close to that. When I measured the other day, it was around 23x23 so it would be nice if I could use the biggest vent fan I could find.

This is on the top of my list at this point and I'll be buying something in the next week or two at the most. Any feedback is appreciated.

Thanks

Here's an example of one but it's small in my opinion.

Fan-Tastic Vent's Retail 12 Volt Fans
For $350 I'll panel over the hole with factory gauge steel and install an RV sized roof vent with a fan and a rain cover so it can be used any time, rain or shine. LMK if interested. I have everything here to do it. There isn't anything that's gona fit in that factory opening except another flimsy, leaky escape hatch.

Or you can do it yourself.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 11:41 PM   #3
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
For $350 I'll panel over the hole with factory gauge steel and install an RV sized roof vent with a fan and a rain cover so it can be used any time, rain or shine. LMK if interested. I have everything here to do it. There isn't anything that's gona fit in that factory opening except another flimsy, leaky escape hatch.

Thanks for the offer. Not a bad deal at all. Unfortunately the gas to get the bus from Sarasota to Orlando and back would cost just as much lol. Not to mention that the title just came in the mail 2 days ago and I still need to get a tag for it but have been waiting since I'm going to get more work done to it before hitting the road.

I'm fine with doing the installation but was just curious if anyone knew of one larger that fit the bus exit or had pictures of theirs as opposed to having to do the steel panel part, but as you mentioned, it looks like I'll be shrinking the hole and doing the panel route.

Do you recommend any fan brand other the other or just go based off Amazon reviews essentially?

This guy posted a great video which helps for sure. I'll record mine as well so I can possibly help others.
Old 04-18-2017, 11:44 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Quote:
Thanks for the offer. Not a bad deal at all. Unfortunately the gas to get the bus from Sarasota to Orlando and back would cost just as much lol. Not to mention that the title just came in the mail 2 days ago and I still need to get a tag for it but have been waiting since I'm going to get more work done to it before hitting the road.

I'm fine with doing the installation but was just curious if anyone knew of one larger that fit the bus exit or had pictures of theirs as opposed to having to do the steel panel part, but as you mentioned, it looks like I'll be shrinking the hole and doing the panel route.

Do you recommend any fan brand other the other or just go based off Amazon reviews essentially?

This guy posted a great video which helps for sure. I'll record mine as well so I can possibly help others.
I could go to Sarasota and back for around fifty bucks or so.

Go with Fantastic. They're better quality than the other cheaper ones.
Old 04-19-2017, 12:23 AM   #5
Almost There

Good to know for future reference. I'm sure I'll have some type of project you should be able to help with. If anything, just to come down and hang out.

Looks like I'll go with 2 of these then... https://www.etrailer.com/RV-Vents-an.../FV801250.html

and the rain covers https://www.etrailer.com/RV-Vents-an...FVU1500WH.html

Stay tuned for the video
Old 05-25-2017, 10:41 AM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1997
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TCFE2000
Engine: 5.9L Cummings 12v
Quote:

is this still an offer? I might have to take you up on that.
trinitysj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 03:37 PM   #7
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by trinitysj View Post
is this still an offer? I might have to take you up on that.
sure, shoot me a pm.
I bet you could do it yourself, though.
Old 05-25-2017, 07:30 PM   #8
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
I think I may want to take you up on that offer - I can probably do most of the work - just need a little guidance... Is that $350 per hatch? Removal and instal of steel - and then vent with cover? Including parts?

Is there a discount for 2?

Quote:

Dog Rescuer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 10:52 PM   #9
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Rescuer View Post
I think I may want to take you up on that offer - I can probably do most of the work - just need a little guidance... Is that $350 per hatch? Removal and instal of steel - and then vent with cover? Including parts?

Let me know if/when you do and I'll head up and give you two a hand and get some tips for when I do mine. I'm waiting to get the floor in and paint done first before I put it on mine but would like to attend the install party Whether it's St. Pete or Orlando, I'll take a drive up.
Old 05-26-2017, 08:08 AM   #10
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: AARE
Engine: 3116 Cat 250hp
Rated Cap: Just the two of us.
I built my own using a Fantastic fan and motor I got for $10 at an RV surplus store. The emergency hatch is still usable.

I like the escape hatch vents. You can tilt any direction or open straight up. I've never had a leak from either one.
somewhereinusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 09:29 AM   #11
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
And you've got a bug screen on it.

I'd come up with a similar idea using 3/4" plywood, but my purpose was simply to secure the hatch so people couldn't use it to get inside my bus. Building a fan into the plywood is just a bonus.

Nice job.
Old 05-26-2017, 10:16 AM   #12
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Very nice work. And retaining an Emergency hatch is a good idea. I give this one an A+.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 11:51 AM   #13
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Rescuer View Post

Sure man, PM me.
Old 09-09-2017, 12:38 PM   #14
Mini-Skoolie

Try this before modifying roof

See link for escape hatch with built in fan.

http://busparts.com/roof-hatches-specialty.html
Ace Wilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 10:47 AM   #15
Skoolie

Mine is pretty much the same as what's been posted, but a little simpler I think.

I bought the electric radiator fans for my Deuce and a half, but changed them out for a flex fan.

The escape hatch fan is just a piece of 3/8 ply with a couple slide dead bolts. The fancy cover is just something off a dead oscillating fan.

The window unit is built from some scrap vinyl lattice and sheet. One side slides out to lock it into the window frame.

Each has a dpdt switch wired in for reverse and uses a two pole trailer plug for easy removal.
Attached Thumbnails
SANY0918.jpg   SANY0917.jpg  
Tedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 04:19 PM   #16

I live in Sarasota too! Are you still here?
How did your roof rack come out?
Derekmardones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 04:36 PM   #17
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Genesis
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedd View Post
Mine is pretty much the same as what's been posted, but a little simpler I think.

I bought the electric radiator fans for my Deuce and a half, but changed them out for a flex fan.

The escape hatch fan is just a piece of 3/8 ply with a couple slide dead bolts. The fancy cover is just something off a dead oscillating fan.

The window unit is built from some scrap vinyl lattice and sheet. One side slides out to lock it into the window frame.

Each has a dpdt switch wired in for reverse and uses a two pole trailer plug for easy removal.
Have a pic of the back side of the window unit? I assume the lattice and slide are on the back?
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 07:12 PM   #18

Quote:
Good to know for future reference. I'm sure I'll have some type of project you should be able to help with. If anything, just to come down and hang out.

Looks like I'll go with 2 of these then... https://www.etrailer.com/RV-Vents-an.../FV801250.html

and the rain covers https://www.etrailer.com/RV-Vents-an...FVU1500WH.html

Stay tuned for the video

Did this cover work for you? I was curious, I think mine are 23x23, just looking for a plastic cover for mine
mjb8fj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 07:50 PM   #19
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjb8fj View Post
Did this cover work for you? I was curious, I think mine are 23x23, just looking for a plastic cover for mine
I think he did what I and others do- panel over the opening with steel and cut a 14" square hole.
Old 02-17-2019, 10:57 AM   #20
Skoolie

Sunroof

Thought I’d post since I was looking for inspiration. This is what I ended up with. It’s a doggie dome for them to see out of fences I guess. $20 on Amazon. Took a few hours but works great and gives me headroom. I really wanted to have inside access to the roof for wildlife photography and just to be able to have a high spot in the bus when parked. I’m going to glue some cloth or something along the seem so it doesn’t show.

I basically hacked the top layer off, cut the whole, then sandwiched some wood and great stuff into the middle to make it stiff before bolting on the sunroof. The bubble is 5” so really nice. I then flex sealed the hatch to freshen it up.

Hope this helps anyone looking for ideas
Attached Thumbnails
02338122-6287-4A6B-B8CC-6863414FE290.jpg   5DFF03DB-05F0-429F-A55C-47044E7E3E69.jpg  
Tstege is offline   Reply With Quote

« Insuring Wood Stove | AC Question »