Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 09-26-2018, 06:41 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 12
Fan in emergency exit

Hello has anyone found a nice way to install a fan in the the emergency exit hatch?
StefN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 10:55 AM   #2
Bus Geek
 
o1marc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Dawsonville, Ga.
Posts: 3,440
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Most members remove the hatch and skin over the 24" hole with sheet metal and then cut the fan into that pieces. I did that, but instead used tinted Lexan to cover the hole. This way I have a 5" space around the fan as a semi skylight.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180919_191613.jpg (165.0 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg 20180919_191659.jpg (118.7 KB, 25 views)
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 11:51 AM   #3
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 12
Thanks - was hoping there was an off the shelf adapter... maybe I will make one
StefN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 08:03 AM   #4
Bus Crazy
 
somewhereinusa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Andrews,Indiana
Posts: 1,819
Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: AARE
Engine: 3116 Cat 250hp
Rated Cap: Her, me and Molly
I built my own using fan from a fantastic vent. Escape hatch is still usable.






somewhereinusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 09:44 AM   #5
Bus Nut
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Tahoe
Posts: 511
Year: 1997
Coachwork: International
Chassis: 3000RE
Engine: T444E w/ MT643
Rated Cap: 84 pass, 40'
Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhereinusa View Post
I built my own using fan from a fantastic vent. Escape hatch is still usable.






I like this idea. I want to be able to get on the roof still.
__________________
middle aged mom on a learning adventure
2martins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 10:11 AM   #6
Skoolie
 
Mountain Gnome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 161
Year: 1999
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC1000 HandyBus
Engine: 5.9L 24V-L6 Cummings ISB
Rated Cap: 26 foot
Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhereinusa View Post
I built my own using fan from a fantastic vent. Escape hatch is still usable.
I like this idea, as it offers an opportunity for another layer of security. Seems my old plastic hatch would break if kicked from the top, especially as it is 20 years old and beginning to dryrot.
Mountain Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 01:07 PM   #7
Bus Geek
 
EastCoastCB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eustis FLORIDA
Posts: 15,358
Year: 2004
Coachwork: IC
Chassis: CE300
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Gnome View Post
I like this idea, as it offers an opportunity for another layer of security. Seems my old plastic hatch would break if kicked from the top, especially as it is 20 years old and beginning to dryrot.
It doesn't even take that much to break one.
__________________
.
Roll Your Own Build Thread
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 01:09 PM   #8
Bus Geek
 
o1marc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Dawsonville, Ga.
Posts: 3,440
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
It doesn't even take that much to break one.
And it would be just as easy to breach that wood hatch if someone wanted to get in, so no added security.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 01:31 PM   #9
Bus Nut
 
Rovobay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Damascus, OR
Posts: 338
Year: 2004
Chassis: International
Engine: T444e w/ 2000 Allison Trans
Rated Cap: 35
like many others here I just skinned over the roof hatch and then cut my 14x14" hole and installed the new maxx air fan. I had 2 emergency exits in the roof the other one got a roof top a/c unit I salvaged from a camper. I didn't anticipate needing roof access so I just covered them up. If I need to get on the roof, I also have a ladder from the scrapped camper that I could install or just use a ladder. I don't have a frequent enough reason to get up there. I do like somewhereintheusa's fan mode to keep access to the hatch.
Rovobay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 01:53 PM   #10
Bus Geek
 
EastCoastCB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eustis FLORIDA
Posts: 15,358
Year: 2004
Coachwork: IC
Chassis: CE300
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rovobay View Post
like many others here I just skinned over the roof hatch and then cut my 14x14" hole and installed the new maxx air fan. I had 2 emergency exits in the roof the other one got a roof top a/c unit I salvaged from a camper. I didn't anticipate needing roof access so I just covered them up. If I need to get on the roof, I also have a ladder from the scrapped camper that I could install or just use a ladder. I don't have a frequent enough reason to get up there. I do like somewhereintheusa's fan mode to keep access to the hatch.
I'm 100% for skinning over the stuff up top!



I used 18 ga steel but anything is better than the cheap, brittle plastic hatches!!
__________________
.
Roll Your Own Build Thread
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:00 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.