Old 08-24-2019, 10:46 PM   #101
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Blue-Bird
Chassis: TC RE 3408
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 12V Mechanical/Allison MT643
Rated Cap: Blue-Bird says 72 pass.
Yeah, it is a great deal, but CL puts the whole Oregon Coast together. We're near one end, Toledo is near the other. So it's too far, maybe 200 miles one way, all on Hwy 101, which I try to avoid at this time of year because of the numrous tourists, oh and also because it is very crooked, often with a high cliff down to the ocean on one side. There's another fridge for $90 that runs but does not get cold, which is also too far for me anyway, but all the other RV fridges are much larger and more expensive.
gs1949 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 10:51 PM   #102
Bus Nut

Yeah, I was wondering when I saw it if that one was older than you meant. Something more like this maybe then?

https://corvallis.craigslist.org/app...962435378.html

But this one is also about 200 miles one way, so I'll skip this one too.

[edit] and now I see this one has AC and propane, so that is definitely not what I want.
Old 08-25-2019, 07:04 AM   #103
Bus Crazy

Year: 98
Coachwork: 1. Corbeil & 2. Thomas
Chassis: 1 ford e350 2 mercedes
Engine: 7.3 powerstroke & MBE906
Alpicool c15 $159 free shipping amazon.

Claims to be a compressor fridge....could not find a review but that is an amazing price.

Anybody have one ? Please let me know.

Johan
joeblack5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 09:59 AM   #104
Bus Nut

I found lots of reviews on Amazon, 157 to be precise. People like the efficiency, but there are some reports of erratic performance, particularly issues with the controls, such as:

"Update: After 16 months is has 2 times (that I know of) gone into a "run away" cooling condition. When in that condition it would run the compressor, non-stop, until it was turned off or the battery was dead. The compressor gets VERY hot when this happens as it is not designed for a 100% duty cycle. Everything inside freezes solid. Some other reviews mention something like this. I suspect that it is a firmware issue, causing the internal computer to lock up. Unplugging it for a moment has always returned it to normal operation. Other than these two instances, it has worked flawlessly, non-stop, 24/7, for almost a year and a half. Because of the low price and fact that it has only done this twice (that I'm aware of), I am keeping my 5 star rating."

When you add that to the fact that this thing is tiny, with a capacity only large enough to hold 20 cans of beverage, it doesn't seem be something that will help me reach my goal of only needing to buy groceries once a month.
Old 08-25-2019, 03:53 PM   #105
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Originally Posted by gs1949 View Post
I found lots of reviews on Amazon, 157 to be precise. People like the efficiency, but there are some reports of erratic performance, particularly issues with the controls, such as:

"Update: After 16 months is has 2 times (that I know of) gone into a "run away" cooling condition. When in that condition it would run the compressor, non-stop, until it was turned off or the battery was dead. The compressor gets VERY hot when this happens as it is not designed for a 100% duty cycle. Everything inside freezes solid. Some other reviews mention something like this. I suspect that it is a firmware issue, causing the internal computer to lock up. Unplugging it for a moment has always returned it to normal operation. Other than these two instances, it has worked flawlessly, non-stop, 24/7, for almost a year and a half. Because of the low price and fact that it has only done this twice (that I'm aware of), I am keeping my 5 star rating."

When you add that to the fact that this thing is tiny, with a capacity only large enough to hold 20 cans of beverage, it doesn't seem be something that will help me reach my goal of only needing to buy groceries once a month.
Seems like two runaway incidents in a year and a half is grounds for 4 stars, at least.

Years ago I had neighbors who went home for Christmas break and their landlord installed a new thermostat in their house which was defective and left their furnace running 24/7 for six weeks. The attic reached 200 degrees F and the house got so hot that sap ran out of the floorboards and formed stalactites (or maybe it was stalagmites) on the basement floor. Their gas bill was thousands of dollars (which the landlord paid, fortunately). It took the house three days (in February) to get back to normal temperature.
Old 08-25-2019, 04:00 PM   #106
Bus Nut

It's a good thing that guy was paying attention. Those things are smaller than I need anyway. I want to be able to go up to a month without grocery shopping.
Old 08-25-2019, 04:22 PM   #107
Bus Crazy

Quote:
It's a good thing that guy was paying attention. Those things are smaller than I need anyway. I want to be able to go up to a month without grocery shopping.
How much fridge and freezer space do you think you'd need for that, in terms of cubic feet? My avanti here is 3.7 and it seems absurdly huge to me - right now I have three cases of soda, ten bottles of gatorade and a couple of six packs and it's still mostly empty. I feel like it's more volume than any apartment or house fridge I've ever had, but that's probably just because there are no shelves or anything in the way.
Old 08-25-2019, 05:10 PM   #108
Bus Nut

Well, I want 2 freezers, 1 for a fridge and one for a freezer, both small, but I think it's a good idea to have one smaller than the other. What I am thinking now is either 2.5 and 3.5 cubic foot models, OR a 3.5 and a 5 cf models.

I intend to buy a 3.5 cf, then put a month's groceries in there and see how they fit before I decide what size I want the second freezer. Need to have some room in case I encounter any road kill venison. Even if it's bruised, Buster will eat it.

I want to put these freezers under a counter and be able to get stuff out without lifting the counter. And also it would be nice to be able to ensure adequate airflow if I but a bunch of unfrozen stuff in there all at once.

To solve these problems I intend to use heavy-duty drawer slides:

https://www.ovisonline.com/Heavy-Dut...ides-C191.aspx

https://www.accuride.com/9301e-heavy...xtension-slide

Obviously I would need some way to lock the apparatus to prevent it from opening inadvertently and never move the bus with one extended.

Following this thread has convinced me that I need to include 2 or more computer fans to move air. I will have at least 2, because I believe in redundancy and think the best place to store a spare fan is already installed. They don't all need to be turned on at the same time, unless I expect a freezer to be working hard for a while.

And I also intend to make boxes out of light plywood to hold the food so that I can find things easier, and minimize the time I spend digging around with the lid open, by keeping the box I am working out of on top.

These are my ideas about refrigeration right now. They will most likely continue to evolve.
Old 08-27-2019, 09:06 PM   #109
Bus Crazy

Ordered a kilowatt meter and I've been running my fridge-hacked Avanti freezer for three hours, with the temperature in the garage around 75-80. Fridge pulled 0.06 kWH in 3:13, which means it's using about 19 watts (if the online calculator I found is correct).

Is that good for a 3.7 cu.ft. fridge? This is with the fridge just having to maintain 37. I'm going to try a test where I let it go back to ambient temperature and then see how long it takes to get back to 37 and how many kWH it consumes in the process.
Old 08-27-2019, 09:31 PM   #110
Bus Nut

That sounds very good to me.
Old 08-27-2019, 09:32 PM   #111
Bus Crazy

Empty?

Fill 'er up with water jugs, start out at ambient, open up a few times as you normally would.

If you are measuring energy use off grid, need to include the inverter overhead, the actual draw of DC 12V from a battery bank.

Ah per 24 hours is the key stat.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 09:43 PM   #112
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
Empty?

Fill 'er up with water jugs, start out at ambient, open up a few times as you normally would.

If you are measuring energy use off grid, need to include the inverter overhead, the actual draw of DC 12V from a battery bank.

Ah per 24 hours is the key stat.
It's got three cases of soda, 10 32oz bottles of gatorade and a six-pack and a couple of other little things, but there were already in there and chilled when I started measuring. I'm going to try a more robust experiment tomorrow like what you describe, and also see what effect a fan on the radiator has.

I'm trying to gradually ease into the electricity stuff while I get the outside of my bus fixed up. I'm thinking I'm going to buy a couple of cheap solar panels and all the other gear and see if I can get my fridge here running completely off solar.
Old 08-27-2019, 09:52 PM   #113
Bus Crazy

Year: 98
Coachwork: 1. Corbeil & 2. Thomas
Chassis: 1 ford e350 2 mercedes
Engine: 7.3 powerstroke & MBE906
Very nice. Any idea what the on off duty cycle is? And what the cut in / cut out temperature of the thermostat. Essentially you are measuring the heat gain of the interior of the fridge versus the outside temperature and then related to the efficiency of your cooling system. For an old freezer like that it seems amazingly good.

The freezing ability...testing how fast it can cool a gallon of water is fun but not that interesting unless you define what the surface area of the water is versus the air circulation inside the fridge... Water in ice cube tray will freeze faster then the same amount of water in a plastic bag.

John is right with the inverter losses. Especially the standby losses depending on your inverter.

But at least it is a very promising number to start with.
joeblack5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 06:46 PM   #114
Bus Nut

What about this one? Is this a desireable model? It's a Norcold SB70.
https://oregoncoast.craigslist.org/r...972388160.html
Old 09-11-2019, 06:55 PM   #115
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
What about this one? Is this a desireable model? It's a Norcold SB70.
https://oregoncoast.craigslist.org/r...972388160.html
That looks like a pretty good deal. It is kind of small though. I went to a 10.8 cf refrigerator some years ago and can't go back to a smaller fridge. Wife won't let me
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 08:30 PM   #116
Bus Nut

Thanks, yeah, that does seem small. The measurements the seller gives work out to 5.6 cubic feet, but it's not clear whether those dimensions are inside or outside. But it's just me and my dog and as long as he has plenty of bones, he'll be fine.

My problem is that it's well over a week until payday, and I've already put about 110 percent of my disposable income into the bus project. If it's still for sale then I might take a drive. It's about 35 miles.
Old 09-11-2019, 10:37 PM   #117
Bus Nut

I finally had time to sit down, and found that CL ad for the fridge came word for word from Amazon. The dimensions given are the same, 20X23X21, but amazon calls it 2 cubic feet. That's ridiculously small even for just me and my dog.
Old 09-11-2019, 10:52 PM   #118
Bus Crazy

Quote:
I finally had time to sit down, and found that CL ad for the fridge came word for word from Amazon. The dimensions given are the same, 20X23X21, but amazon calls it 2 cubic feet. That's ridiculously small even for just me and my dog.
Maybe don't keep your dog in the fridge?
Old 09-11-2019, 11:54 PM   #119
Bus Nut

He weighs about 100 lbs. I don't think he'll fit in that fridge. He doesn't think much of people who want to put him in a cage or a box. Can't say as I blame him.