Old 08-27-2015, 09:37 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Gravity feed propane heater/furnaces

Does anyone have any practical experience with these style of heaters? I used a residential sized one years ago and it worked great. I've found a few on Kijiji that came out of tent trailers, a bit small but cheap, a person could install a couple for "zone" heating, and the beauty is that they use no electricity.
Longrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 09:46 PM   #2
Site Team

Something like this? If so, a few people here have one.

EccoTemp Portable Tankless Water Heater - Eccotemp L5 - Water Heaters - Camping World

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 09:55 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

No, this is a space heater or furnace.
Old 08-27-2015, 10:03 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Though that water heater seems pretty sweet, too bad it's outdoor use only, probably would only last a couple of months of regular use, and probably freeze solid here I'm Canada.
Old 08-27-2015, 10:22 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: B3800 Short bus
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 36
Can you find an example of one online? "Gravity fed"+"propane" doesn't really make sense.. Propane is pressurized...
Old 08-27-2015, 10:25 PM   #6
Site Team

I'm confused.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 10:49 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Here's an example, they work by heat convection sometimes with a fan added on like this one, otherwise they use no electricity. http:// http://m.kijiji.ca/trailer-parts-accessories/edmonton/trailer-furnace-gravity-feed/v?adId=1082286195&ck=CK&from=Search&ts=14407293345 00"]http:// trailer furnace gravity feed | parts, accessories | Edmonton | Kijiji Mobile
Old 08-27-2015, 11:02 PM   #8
Bus Crazy

Maybe instead of "gravity feed" you mean "convection," a wall furnace without an included blower fan to force the air through it? I had saved one out of a scrapped office trailer for a while, thinking I would have a use for it some day. But I scrapped it when "some day" never arrived.

I have lived in a 3-room apartment with a natural gas wall furnace and blower on a central wall, and it kept it warm enough in Northeast winters.

Or maybe you mean "fuel oil" aka diesel? There are oil heaters that work on a drip of #2 fuel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazty View Post
Can you find an example of one online? "Gravity fed"+"propane" doesn't really make sense.. Propane is pressurized...
Most propane appliances run on vapor boiled off taken from the top of the tank, but a few run on the liquid fuel drawn from the bottom of the tank. Maybe someone thinks drawing liquid from the bottom forced down by the vapor equals gravity feed?
Someone said "Making good decisions comes from experience, experience comes from bad decisions." I say there are three kinds of people: those who learn from their mistakes, those who learn from the mistakes of others, and those who never learn.
Redbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 11:44 PM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

Yes it heats by convection, I don't know why they're referred to as gravity feed. Basically they have a burning chamber where the pressurized propane burns, and it is surrounded by a cavity that allows the room's air to circulate through, heat up and rise, drawing colder floor level in.
Old 08-27-2015, 11:59 PM   #10
Mini-Skoolie

Talking

Apparently the term gravity feed was used to describe what have become known as octopus furnaces in houses about 100 years old. Their inefficiency was due to the airflow restrictions imposed by the constrictions of ducts and the bends they went through to route the airflow. However, the smaller more modern units designed for RVs employ no ductwork and simply work as a space heater with all noxious gases vented outside. AND, no electricity.