Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-05-2011, 02:17 PM   #1

heat

we were thinking of putting in a wood burning stove for our bus when we get one but first we wanted to know how practical of an idea is that. can you burn wood in it regardless of where you are parked or do you have to be boondocking? does anyone know if there are any laws regarding this matter? Any info would be much appreciated.

vanpeoplx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 02:32 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Thomas
Re: heat

Lots of threads here on that, sure someone will point to them. I'm finding it isn't a problem to have one but it will be a pain to find enough wood that doesn't cost a fortune or get me arrested. Easier when staying in one place long long periods but I don't do that.
Seeria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 04:36 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty
Can't do it, it's unpossible
I have found that many times that while folks say you "can't" do something, often you can but there are consequences that often are not very pleasurable.

Nothing is "unpossible"... but there are a lot of things that are "improbable"!

But I may be wrong... it's not "unpossible"!

A word you may want to embrace when designing and building your conversions is "Flexibility"! If you plan on being in campgrounds at all, you might want to spend some time reading the RV forums over at Escapees (Smitty's FAV place) and IRV2.com to get an idea as to what is common/accepted practice in the campgrounds.
https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 10:56 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DTA360
Rated Cap: 16

Yeah, you might want to look into the rules at the places you will frequent... I picked up an inexpensive stove that wouldn't be up to par for major use, but it will only be used a few times a year... I also picked up a small propane furnace out of a cab over camper...

I'd like to see someone tackle a thermal mass rocket stove in a bus...
dirtygoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 06:41 AM   #5
Bus Nut

Well I'm doing rocket stove with small mass Serves two purposes of heat and bread oven, with added bonus of easy warming up water. I fret about space and weight so won't be doing the thermal mass bench seats ya see those braggers talking about in videos.
Old 01-07-2011, 10:57 AM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89

Quote:
.. You are aware that stove in the pic IS in my bus don't you Lorna? And some of the SKPs were some (when I was frequenting the site)I'd read who complained about campfires...
Yes, I know that's your stove. :P And I do know that wood stoves (and vent free LP gas fireplaces) can can be safely installed wherever (we used to heat a house with a wood stove and had an LP furnace for backup... I don't split wood no more!). I didn't realize you had read about the campfire smoke objections. I found it strange that there are folks who would roll into a campground... not RV PARK... and expect every one to not use a campfire. If the morons can't keep the air inside their closed up RV clean than I would rather they didn't park next to me. I don't mind wood smoke... although it was several years after our house burned down before I could say that. We are in an area with a fair amount of wood heating... everyone gets the wood from "the back side of the mountain" (where ever that is) to burn. Seems you can go up and pick up all the "downed" wood you can haul for free (first place I have ever run into for that and I believe it is BLM land. And it appears to be all cedar... nice smell!
https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 11:14 AM   #7
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Engine: DT466/AT545

Quote:
Originally Posted by lornaschinske
... And it appears to be all cedar... nice smell!
Cedar does smell nice and is great for an open fire, just don't use it in a wood stove or fireplace. It creates a lot of creosote in the chimney/stovepipe and increases the risk of chimney fire.
viewtopic.php?t=4959
Diesel Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 10:15 AM   #8
Bus Crazy

Quote:
nd I've even heard of some "neighbors" complaining of the smoke
Smitty

Yup im one of them where i live. neighbour across the street and a couple down burns what ever wood or crap he can find. right now isnt bad but he was burning some birch wood and it smelt like a campfire as soon as i opened the door. just not something I really want living in a trailer court in the middle of winter lol
Stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 05:25 PM   #9
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeria
Well I'm doing rocket stove with small mass Serves two purposes of heat and bread oven, with added bonus of easy warming up water. I fret about space and weight so won't be doing the thermal mass bench seats ya see those braggers talking about in videos.

I've been pondering the thought... I may build one this summer in the backyard(we have a "manfort" campground area out back)...

I'm interested in the idea of using the floor as the thermal mass... I'm building a portable rocket stove for use outside the bus...
Old 01-13-2011, 05:28 PM   #10
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuff
Quote:
nd I've even heard of some "neighbors" complaining of the smoke
Smitty

Yup im one of them where i live. neighbour across the street and a couple down burns what ever wood or crap he can find. right now isnt bad but he was burning some birch wood and it smelt like a campfire as soon as i opened the door. just not something I really want living in a trailer court in the middle of winter lol

I don't mind the different wood smells... But, I hate the people around that burn garbage at night... It's hard to tell who it is at night and stinks up the whole neighborhood...
Old 01-14-2011, 07:34 AM   #11
Bus Nut

Take pictures and post when you build those stoves, please. I've several setups here waiting for warmer weather so I can go back outside and work on the stoves. Rocket stoves in little camper/hiker style, a larger but portable for bus trips and a heater/oven for the bus.