Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-13-2019, 06:47 PM   #1

Heater removal questions

I'm searching for the valves to cut the coolant to the heaters, before I cut the lines to back heater. I found the valve in the engine compartment and found one under the bus that is connected to the heaters as well but it's coming or going from a box I can't identify. See the attached picture. Could that be a pump? Do I need to cut the electricity to it?
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20190713_161117.jpg  

fred-qc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 10:11 PM   #2

Ok... So I'm obviously clueless about mechanic. After following more lines, that box looks more like a heat exchanger.
fred-qc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 11:55 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: CS RE
Engine: ISC 8.3 L 260 hp
Rated Cap: 36
Probably an oil to water cooler for the transmission. There should be some valves to totally isolate the heater lines. Make sure not to permanently make your front heater and defrost inoperable.

Ted
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 02:10 AM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1954
Coachwork: wayne
Chassis: old f500- new 2005 f-450
Engine: cummins 12 valve
Rated Cap: 20? five rows of 4?
Original poster said....

"should I cut the electricity to it"
So, I am going to assume it has wires going to it. I am going to guess that if you follow those wires, they go to a plug that you would plug into a wall.
If that is also true, then, what you are looking at is a heater for the engine, when the temperature is cold out side, it is used to keep the engine warm enough to get started easy.

william
magnakansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 06:59 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E 7.3L
What is the reason for removing this? I kept my rear heater because you really want heat when driving in colder temps. If bypassing a heater requires more than a simple hose bypass, then leave it be.

I don't understand why so many remove the rear heaters. They provide heat and can assist in cooling the engine temps on mountain climbs.
Johnny Mullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 07:27 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Mullet View Post

I don't understand why so many remove the rear heaters. They provide heat and can assist in cooling the engine temps on mountain climbs.

Because they take up a massive amount of buildable floor space with dual heaters and lines run. They are also pretty useless as heat when parked. So if adding heat and A/C, you can kill 2 birds with one install that is more compact and less intrusive as the heaters. While they help cool the engine, it is not needed unless you have other issues with overheating.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote