Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-19-2005, 03:44 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Home Style Appliances

The purpose of this discussion is to discuss jiggling....

I would like to install normal "house" appliances as much as possible for these three appliances: the TV, the Fridge, and the electronics (VCR. DVD, AM/FM Stereo, Subwoofer, Surround Sound, Speakers, etc.)

I have one RV TV that is about 13" but I would like to have a much bigger TV - what type of precautions are people putting in for their larger TV's?

I would like to put a big refer in - what type of precautions are you taking for your normal fridge?

Mounting of electronics? Are you using some type of rubber mounting or just replacing the stuff when it goes bad from vibration?

Again, it is all about the jiggling - LOL

Old 11-19-2005, 04:11 PM   #2
Bus Nut

I was looking at flatscreen LCD tv's for space reasons as a conventional tv is so deep. I asked the guy at Best Buy if they were any more fragile and he said no, that he sells a lot of them to truck drivers and they do just fine.
bdavis441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005, 04:42 PM   #3
Bus Geek

I have had no trouble with a house tv/vcr/dvd/stereo/electric stove in my bus.

i did have one fridge die on me not long after i installed it, but have since used 2 other referigerators without incident. I don't like most RV stuff...it's usually overpriced and not as high quality as regular houshold stuff.
Old 11-21-2005, 09:35 AM   #4
Bus Crazy

Send a message via AIM to Steve
I had one of my two fridges die, I think because it was in the very back of the bus where you get the huge bouces. If you worried about vibration place you appliances between the front and rear wheels.

I also have never had a problem with computers, tv, dvd, vcr, etc.
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 09:08 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

If any of you have rigged up a rubber mount system do you have any pictures of what you did? Also, is anyone running an Ice Maker in these fridges? Any problems with that?
Old 11-24-2005, 01:04 AM   #6
Bus Nut

Were the fridges you all had fail older? I ask because I once heard that the springs that hold in compressor inside the sealed can get brittle over time. I have a mini apartment fidge that I put in the trunk when we go on a road trip in the car. If I don't put the thing on some blankets I can hear the compressor rattling around. It is only a few years old so the compressor has held up.
busone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2005, 01:34 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Has anyone ever tried to use a full size stove? Do they just get beat up to much or would that work as well?
Old 11-24-2005, 06:11 PM   #8
Bus Nut

Year: 1985
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: 366 propane
Rated Cap: 56
Many people have used apartment sized gas stoves that are modified to run off propane. This is what I plan on using. The size and strength are deciding factors for me. I plan on spending alot of time in the bus and want a proper stove. They can be aquired used for a reasonable price also.

-Richard
captainkf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2005, 06:30 PM   #9
Bus Nut

Year: 1981
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Crown
Engine: 671 DD
Send a message via MSN to Roasting8 Send a message via Yahoo to Roasting8
Back in the 70's most buses had old propane stoves that were originally used in houses. There is also a bus that is featured in "Select and Convert Your Bus into a Motorhome on a Shoestring" called the "Sojourner" that uses a house stove.

The only problem that I've heard about using a home stove is that it rattles while travelling.

If you do use a gas stove, you'll have to have to change either a valve or jet or something like that ( I forgot exactly what it was). The cost, to change, is very low and very do-able. Check with an appliance repair shop for the needed part.

Robert
Roasting8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2005, 07:25 PM   #10
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roasting8

If you do use a gas stove, you'll have to have to change either a valve or jet or something like that ( I forgot exactly what it was). The cost, to change, is very low and very do-able. Check with an appliance repair shop for the needed part.

Robert
you only have to change the jet (orifice) if the stove was originally set up for natural gas. If the stove was used by someone out in the country, chances are pretty good it's already set up for propane.

A lot of gas appliances come with both orifices, and allow the installer to decide which one to use.
Old 11-25-2005, 02:16 AM   #11
Bus Nut

Year: 1981
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Crown
Engine: 671 DD
Send a message via MSN to Roasting8 Send a message via Yahoo to Roasting8
Thanks for the clarification. I just couldn't remember what you needed to change.

You're also right about the stoves used in the country, they mostly use propane. You'll have to forgive me, I've been living in mostly in cities.

Robert
Roasting8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2005, 01:54 PM   #12
Mini-Skoolie

Yes, I have changed out that orifice on my gas dryer when we moved from propane to natural gas.