Old 09-28-2017, 08:39 AM   #1
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: AARE
Engine: 3116 Cat 250hp
Rated Cap: Just the two of us.
Hydronic heat

There has been a number of questions lately about hydronic heat. Here is a diagram of my system. It uses an Espar hydronic 10 for the heat source. The unit is 32,000 btu and keeps the water temp between 154 and 185 degrees. There are 3 separate water systems that work together to produce heat depending on the circumstances.
  • Engine cooling system, ethylene glycol, poison
  • Heating system,propylene glycol,not poison
  • Domestic water, hopefully not poison

The water pumps are controlled by thermostats. With engine running heat is picked up through the heat exchangers both in the water heater and for bus heat. When the Espar boiler is running it heats the bus as well as the water heater and the engine. The water heater also has a 120VAC element for hot water when plugged into shore power.

This is the Espar boiler, gray tank is reservoir, white tank is overflow. I wouldn't have needed this to be so big.Gray box is marine water heater.

Detail of zone water pumps, relays and manifolds.

Pex layout under floor.

What a mess

Whew, what a relief, finally.

I can't say anything about anyone else's system. This system works. Keeps me comfy at below zero temps and has been trouble free for three winters. I can't say anything about fuel consumption, I just don't know or care, it draws fuel from the fuel tank.I do know that on a trip approx 400 miles in roughly a week of pretty constant use sitting in one place fuel mileage went from about 7 to about 5.
somewhereinusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 01:30 PM   #2
Site Team

Year: 1998
Coachwork: MCI
Chassis: 102 EL3
Engine: DD 60
A VERY impressive system/build! Well done!

Could you please come install one in my coach please?!?!
JDOnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 03:54 PM   #3
Traveling

Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: '00
Thumbs up Holy Heaters, batman !

You are a wild man.

Thanks for sharing all the details of what looks like to be the coziest system. Package all those parts-up in a kit and sell. Looks like $3K in components.

Very nicely done.
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 03:17 PM   #4

Engine: Flux Capacitor
Hey, your thread is fantastic and this is one of the most interesting heating methods I've seen for on road and sitting combined. Would you mind going into detail on the heater and how it is designed? I'm a complete noob and don't understand all of the components. It's a marine water heater hooked up to a boiler?

Thanks
AbeFroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 05:05 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

In the diagram the Espar Hydronic 10 is the boiler and makes the water hot in the mail loop. (big red line). It is used when I am sitting still. When the boiler is running the marine water heater picks up heat from the mail loop making domestic hot water for shower and sinks. A bonus is that it also heats the water in the engine cooling system.

When driving the main loop is heated by the heat exchanger in the engine cooling system. Again making domestic hot water and supplying hot water to the loop for cabin heat. There are four loops for cabin heat. Each cabin heat loop has a water pump controlled by a thermostat. The boiler has a water pump in it to circulate water in the main loop, I installed a switch to turn that pump on when the engine is running and I need cabin heat.

The water heater also has a 120VAC heating element to supply domestic hot water in the summer time when the engine or boiler isn't running. In theory it would make cabin heat but the heating element isn't near big enough for that.

Hope that explains it.
Dick
Old 12-09-2017, 02:04 PM   #6

Engine: Flux Capacitor
Thanks for the info. Did you buy everything new? What's the estimate on the cost, if you don't mind?

Are you happy you did it this way? Happy with the results?

I assume you put it all together yourself. What is your difficulty rating 0-10?
AbeFroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 02:31 PM   #7
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
That is impressive. It sounds simple enough when you describe it, but honestly I no comprende. I'm stuck with cold feet.
Old 12-09-2017, 03:35 PM   #8
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Chassis: GMC
Engine: Cat 3116
Rated Cap: 72
Excellent design and build Dick. Drawing tells the whole story. Thanks for sharing, I may go hydronic down the road.
Well done sir!

John
Old 10-05-2018, 03:07 PM   #9

I know this is an old thread, but I was wondering if you could share what type of pumps your using for each of the zones?
Thanks
jay85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 05:16 PM   #10
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay85 View Post
I know this is an old thread, but I was wondering if you could share what type of pumps your using for each of the zones?
Thanks
The pumps are Bosch. They are the same ones that the Espar boiler uses. Mine are 24VDC but are available in 12VDC. Do a search for Espar Hydronic 10 water pump.

Really, any water pump,that can take the heat, will do. It's a circulation pump not a pressure pump.