Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-17-2018, 07:25 PM   #21
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Thomas
Engine: 5.9
Rated Cap: 72
Local hardware store didn't have the tan slow dry goo so I got this
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20180517_192426569.jpg  

Whatthefak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 08:17 PM   #22
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Mullet View Post
You need to properly convert the stove with the orifices. My stove had adjustable ones, so the conversion was easy. When experimenting, I hooked propane to the stove and only switched the regulator. This did not work and the orifices had to be adjusted so I had a nice, blue flame.
Just for fun I hooked everything up, a started a fire! As expected I'm leak free, I have fire at the burners, the pilot shut off nicely.

I have two nonadjustable oraffices per burner, low burn in the center of the ring higher burns on the outside too.

On low I get a nice blue flame any higher not so much, now to buy 8 oraffices
Old 05-21-2018, 12:54 PM   #23
Bus Nut

I really like this stove but I'm thinking of selling it for something smaller
Old 05-21-2018, 04:59 PM   #24
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 6CTA8.3 Mechanical MD3060
Rated Cap: 46 Coach Seats, 40 foot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatthefak View Post
Local hardware store didn't have the tan slow dry goo so I got this
Cheap, easy to use, pretty foolproof.

I prefer it to the "goo".

Build Thread
Twigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 07:46 PM   #25
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twigg View Post
Cheap, easy to use, pretty foolproof.

I prefer it to the "goo".

I just know industrially we always used the goo, and I've seen it after 10 years it seals nice
Old 05-26-2018, 10:03 AM   #26
Skoolie

Year: 2005
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: 6.4 liter Mercedes MBE 900
Rated Cap: 48 passenger
Re old 1940s range: Are you certain that is is presently set up for natural gas? You said there was no pressure regulator. Natural gas ranges have regulators, LP gas ranges do not. (when a range is converted to LP gas from natural, the regulator is "converted" too, meaning it is blocked open, no longer functioning as a regulator) The gas pressure is reduced by the regulator at the tank, feeding the same pressure throughout the system.
If you have adjustable orifice hoods, check to see if they are tightened down or not. If they aren't tightened, you have a range set up for natural gas. If they are, it's been converted to some other fuel gas, usually LP (propane). Inside the orifice hoods, there are 3, sometimes 4 "fingers" which, in the normal, uncompressed state, allow gas to flow through them, making the effective orifice size the hole at the end of the hood. When the hood is tightened down onto the "fingers" , they are squeezed together, and now the effective orifice size is the tiny opening between them. Tighten down the hoods for all the burners, close the top burner pilot adjusting valve completely (which shuts off the gas flow to the top burner pilot(s). There should be a similar hood for the oven burner - do the same to it. Then, adjust the air shutters on the burner venturi tubes for the best flame. It should be blue, defined, (not lazy looking and yellow) but not noisy and harsh. These are somewhat ambiguous terms, but the experienced eye can discern these features. Note that with LP gas, it is sometimes impossible to get rid of the last little bit of yellow tips at the end of the flame without making the flame harsh. Just get it the best that you can in that case. The pilot for the oven will be way too big at this point - adjust its size with the valve that feeds the oven pilot line. There's no air adjustment on pilots usually. BTW, the oven pilot is necessary for the oven to operate. Old ranges have several different types of pilot verification systems, but it is most likely a thermocouple type.
Now, if you don't have adjustable orifice hoods, it gets more complicated, but still doable. Let's assume you have a range set up for natural gas. Remove the orifices, keeping track of which ones go where. Measure the diameter of the openings (orifice size), using small drill bits for gauges. A well-stocked hardware store should have number and letter drill sizes in addition to the more common fractional sizes. Find a chart that lists gas type/pressure/orifice size/BTU. Like this:
https://goo.gl/images/dJ1TSw You'll need to assume a gas supply pressure, usually municipal gas systems are around 3.5" w.c. The chart will tell you approximately what BTU rating the individual burners are according to the orifice size. Since you want to convert the burners to burn LP gas, the orifices must be smaller, since LP is regulated to around 10" w.c. pressure. The difference in pressures are due to different fuel gas flame propagation velocities (an interesting but unnecessary topic for another time). Use the chart to find the orifice size that gives you the desired BTU output for LP gas at the line pressure the tank regulator gives you. You must either make some assumptions about this, or use a manometer to measure the actual pressure.
You'll need to braze the orifices shut, then re-drill them to the desired size. Use either Brass brazing rod or silver solder (which is actually brazing). Do not use regular tin/lead solder - it will melt out. I have spent 40+ years in the appliance repair field and have done this a few times. Done carefully, it works well. Good luck!
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 10:24 AM   #27
Skoolie

Year: 2005
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: 6.4 liter Mercedes MBE 900
Rated Cap: 48 passenger
Thread tape can get into control valves. Best to use pipe dope specifically listed for LP gas.
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 10:12 AM   #28
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatthefak View Post
Thanks, just what I was looking for.

Now to find oraffices for a 1941 roper stove
Your 1941 proper probably has the circular old school air mixture valves. Adjusting was done by loosening the clamp screw lighting the burner and turning to open or close until you get a blue flame then retighten. Your gas grill regulator should work fine. Its most likely adjustable and has enough flow capacity for four burners. If you find its not possibly a regulator for a large hp small engine system will.have enough flow.
golfersmurf57 is offline   Reply With Quote