Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-24-2018, 10:56 AM   #1
Skoolie

I have a range / oven. Should I use it?

So I sourced a Magic Chef 3 burner RV range / oven from a totalled Class C. I've cleaned it up, and bench tested it and it works great. Now for the bigger question...

I've seen a few conversions featuring apartment sized gas ranges / ovens converted to propane. The range tops are 4 burner, and the ovens are big enough to handle reasonably normal size bakeware. And you MIGHT be able to actually cook a small turkey in one.

This leads me to my dilema.

Part and parcel of the idea of a skoolie for me, is to be road tripping during the holidays.

Would the RV unit be big enough to cook a holiday meal for a family of 4, or should I try to sell that thing and grab one of those apartment size units?

dbhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 11:13 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 6CTA8.3 Mechanical MD3060
Rated Cap: 46 Coach Seats, 40 foot
I'd use the apartment range every time. They are better built and work better.

Many people do happily use RV equipment, but it doesn't stand scrutiny alongside domestic appliances unless you can afford the really high-end stuff.

Build Thread
Twigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 11:16 AM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Thomas EF
Engine: Cat 3126
We've found that items for boats/yachts are great for conversions.
Old 04-24-2018, 11:20 AM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 6CTA8.3 Mechanical MD3060
Rated Cap: 46 Coach Seats, 40 foot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquatters View Post
We've found that items for boats/yachts are great for conversions.
Marine stuff is usually much higher quality. Nearly all stainless is used and they have extra features necessary for use in an unstable platform.

Unfortunately that usually comes at a price, but not much doubt about the overall quality.

Build Thread
Twigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 01:56 PM   #5
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twigg View Post
I'd use the apartment range every time. They are better built and work better.

Many people do happily use RV equipment, but it doesn't stand scrutiny alongside domestic appliances unless you can afford the really high-end stuff.
Sounds good.

There's a scratch and dent place near me that has a few plain white Natural gas / LP convertible models with battery ignition. Should be good for off grid skoolie and price is fair to good. (Less than $300.00, and the scratch is on the side where it won't be seen).

How would I go about mounting it into the bus? I know with a residential range, there is that anti tip kit to keep kids from toppling an oven onto themselves. Similar idea or???
dbhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 02:13 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
When you consider mounting options please keep in mind how the stove, or anything else that you put in the bus, will behave in the event of a sudden stop or worse, a roll over.

I will never forget the Prevost I saw with a couch sticking out of the passenger side windshield.

The copilot seat was nowhere to be seen....
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 02:22 PM   #7
Bus Nut

Year: 2004
Coachwork: Corbeil
Chassis: Ford
Engine: Ford PowerStroke Diesel 6.0
Rated Cap: GVWR 11,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbhost View Post
Sounds good.

There's a scratch and dent place near me that has a few plain white Natural gas / LP convertible models with battery ignition. Should be good for off grid skoolie and price is fair to good. (Less than $300.00, and the scratch is on the side where it won't be seen).

How would I go about mounting it into the bus? I know with a residential range, there is that anti tip kit to keep kids from toppling an oven onto themselves. Similar idea or???
An apartment sized range probably has threaded leveling feet that go up into the base. I'd pull those out and put the biggest lag bolts that can be run through them right into the flooring. As PNW points out, you don't want that heavy piece of metal to become a surprise projectile.
weboughtabus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 10:50 AM   #8
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbhost View Post
So I sourced a Magic Chef 3 burner RV range / oven from a totalled Class C. I've cleaned it up, and bench tested it and it works great. Now for the bigger question...

I've seen a few conversions featuring apartment sized gas ranges / ovens converted to propane. The range tops are 4 burner, and the ovens are big enough to handle reasonably normal size bakeware. And you MIGHT be able to actually cook a small turkey in one.

This leads me to my dilema.

Part and parcel of the idea of a skoolie for me, is to be road tripping during the holidays.

Would the RV unit be big enough to cook a holiday meal for a family of 4, or should I try to sell that thing and grab one of those apartment size units?
DB scrap the oven get a drop in cooktop and deep fry the turkey!
golfersmurf57 is offline   Reply With Quote