Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-22-2016, 01:58 PM   #1
Skoolie

installing chimney for propane stove

I bought a Vermont Castings propane stove off of Craigslist. It needs to be vented, so will have to install a stove pipe. Just wondering if you know of any nifty chimneys for propane stoves in RV. I will check the maine industry too, but do not wish to re invent the wheel.

Bluespoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 06:55 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1996
Chassis: thomas
Engine: 8.3 cummins
Rated Cap: 11 window
looks like from a search of images that its vented like a standard fireplace or wood burning stove. single wall coming out and double wall once you exit the bus. they sell flue kits at lowes or home depot
superdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 10:22 AM   #3
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluespoet View Post
I bought a Vermont Castings propane stove off of Craigslist. It needs to be vented, so will have to install a stove pipe. Just wondering if you know of any nifty chimneys for propane stoves in RV. I will check the maine industry too, but do not wish to re invent the wheel.
Google: Vermont Castings propane stove trouble shooting.

1998 Ford B700 Thomas body 65 passenger. 5.9 Cummins 12 valve with MT643 Transmission 123,000 miles.
Versatile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 02:35 PM   #4
Skoolie

I think I should clarify, nothing says "Hippie bus" like a stove pipe coming out of a bus roof.
The stove has a couple of installations that are not covered by Vermont Castings. VC will say that installation in a bus is not an appropriate place for their stove and doesn't meet its criteria for safe installation. So, one challenge is securing the stove. So, likely will have to bolt feet to the floor in some way and secure the upper body. I suspect that I will bolt some angle to the back so that it will not move. The other is the venting the stove which I have been told needs to be above the stove like an exhaust. The choice of the stove was price and appearance, I got a $2k+ new cost stove used for $150. I could have waited to find a non-venting stove and solved that problem, yet the advantage of a venting stove is that people die every year from using up the oxygen inside RV from heaters. What I am looking for is an attractive way to put in the stove pipe and instead of re-inventing the wheel, looking for the advice and suggestions that have gone on before.
I am a Union Graduate Apprentice Marine and Boiler Steel Fabricator with 30yrs experience and the former Training coordinator for the largest private shipyard on the west coast. Solving problems was my daily job when not running a training dept. Yet I hope to get ideas from those of you that have installed similar stoves and resolved any challenges to installation.
Old 11-23-2016, 04:24 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: AmTran International
Chassis: 3800
Engine: Navistar 7.6L
so is the stove a back vent or top vent?
DoubleO7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 08:15 PM   #6
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleO7 View Post
so is the stove a back vent or top vent?
It vents out the rear, but near the top of the stove as to be expected.
Old 11-23-2016, 08:54 PM   #7
Skoolie

What I am thinking about for securing it is to replace the cast iron feet with angle, and a pad at the top and bottom for bolting. I also could create a flatbar frame to the frame and then can bolt the stove anywhere thats needed.
Old 11-23-2016, 11:26 PM   #8
Bus Nut

Year: 1994
Coachwork: Genesis/Am-Tran Tall Roof
Chassis: International, 643 transmission
Engine: DT 466ci 250hp, International
Rated Cap: 86 screaming Monsters
Doesn't it use the double wall insulated silicone oring pipe? The stuff is amazing. What diameter? If your looking for les expensive way to go and something that can be custom bent to fit try a muffler shop. they usably have up to 4" and its all coated now days so it wont rust. and it paints very nice with BBq or stove paint. Get your self a nice chrome or stainless tip on that beast up on top. Then its not a fireplace its a drag bus.
Geo Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 09:02 AM   #9
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: B3800 Short bus
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 36
I used a modified 4" exhaust connector to connect my small wood stove to 4" double-wall twist-lock pellet stove pipe. I have that sucka seriously bolted down.

For a propane stove you could get away with the Type B vent instead of the pellet stove vent. The Type B is still double-wall, but is made of thinner sheet steel and is considerably cheaper compared to pellet pipe.
Old 11-24-2016, 10:36 AM   #10
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: AmTran International
Chassis: 3800
Engine: Navistar 7.6L
If it were me I think I might make two 2x2 angle iron "L" frames.
The vertical leg(s) would get bolted to the wall at whatever height I liked.
Then the stove would get bolted to the horizontal legs using the original leg connections. Stove spaced out from wall as required for safety.
Then run the vent straight out thru the wall with a low profile cap outside.
DoubleO7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 09:43 PM   #11
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: B3800 Short bus
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleO7 View Post
Then run the vent straight out thru the wall with a low profile cap outside.
If the propane furnace vents its exhaust with a fan then that could work. If it uses chimney draft then it'll work best going straight up through the roof. The furnace literature should specify.
Old 11-24-2016, 10:17 PM   #12
Bus Nut

Year: 1984
Engine: 366 Big block Chevy! :) w/ Stick shift
I am reading while i have a warm fire going in my propane fireplace, also an expensive model i bought on craigslist for craigslist cheap.

I used one of the Thomas metal plates on the rear of the seats and vented it right out the window.

Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet
Carytowncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 10:44 AM   #13
Bus Nut

What does the product manual say?

Sent from my SM-G530W using Tapatalk
Tootalltechie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 10:49 AM   #14
Skoolie

As I wrote before Vermont Castings does not recommend their products installed in RV or school busses. I appreciate your reply tootletechie, but I am interested not in how to install the fireplace, but getting back to my original post, what you did to install a chimney? and hopefully product recommendations, to make it stealth, do not wish to advertise it is a hippie bus.
Old 11-26-2016, 11:10 AM   #15
Bus Nut

Does not matter where they say it can or can not be installed. What matters is how it was installed.

JMO
Gordon

IN the fine print it may say if installed in RV it can not be insured. That is why I have a portable wood stove.
Tootalltechie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 11:15 AM   #16
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tootalltechie View Post
Does not matter where they say it can or can not be installed. What matters is how it was installed.

JMO
Gordon
I absolutely agree, I do have the manual and also a local distributer, but this is off topic and I really would love to stay on topic.