Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-12-2017, 10:00 AM   #1
Skoolie

Join propane cylinder with black pipe?

What are some of the ways to join a horizontal 20 pound propane cylinder with 3/4 inch black pipe?

I would like to use some sort of flexible line, perhaps rubber, so I can unhook the cylinder and remove from the bus easily.

Perhaps I am wrong, but I have concerns about having the correct diameter line to supply the system without starting off with a choke point and not being able to supply the genset properly.

Although I can fit the pipe, I know nothing about plumbing propane. Any tips about parts, fittings and hose I might need would be greatly appreciated. Are there any books around about plumbing RV's generally?

As I mentioned, I have plumbed the propane system using 3/4 inch black pipe. This system totals about 12 feet in length and feeds a one-two burner propane stove top, an Ecotemp hot water heater, a Mr Heater propane heater and a dual fuel (gas and propane) 5000 Watt, 10 HP, genset. The genset is at the end of the 12 feet.

Thanks in advance for the tips

Tedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 10:32 AM   #2
Almost There

You can order custom made propane hose from many places, even liquid rated.

If you talk to a propane shop, get them to do a calculation on that generator. I don't think the 3/4" pipe will be a bottle neck but you might ice the tank and lose pressure.
Drop out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 12:55 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 86
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
at the big box store they sell flexible corrugated in the furnace heating section that are 5/8" by 30" long rated at around 360,000 BTU with 5/8" flare to 3/4 male and a 1/2" female dual style fitting connectors and a check valve. That should do what you need.
Some 20 pound cylinders have the gas grill hook up as an outside thread quick hand connect and a 1/2" female connection.
Mine is currently set up with the 5/8 flex hose and the grill connector with the grill hose only 3/8" to the 5/8" to 3/4" pipe to run 200,000BTU and has no problem with freezing up until the bottle is almost empty.
International fuel gas code pipe sizing charts are free online if you have sizing questions and LP gas mans handbook is a good resource also.
Good luck
Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 05:53 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Might look into Coast Guard approved marine LP lines. Good stuff.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote