Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-19-2016, 09:36 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Keeping it warm inside when it is cold outside

What is the most effective insulation material - also the most compact? I live in North Dakota and it often drops to -30 or -40 in the winter. I want to live in the Skoolie full time over the next couple of years at least, in order to save up $$ to buy some land. I know that, given the fact that the bus is raised and the wind can get under the belly, it is going to be important to insulate the floor also - the roof is probably #1 in importance and then the sides. The compactness of insulation in the side is important because there is not a lot of excess interior room from side to side. I would like at least R8 in the sides, more in the bottom and most in the top.

How about keeping it warm? I have a friend who uses a heat stove that burns dried corn. In the coldest months, he pays about $150 to keep his 1,100 sq. ft home cozy. I am sure that a kerosene stove would be good to have as a back-up, in case the corn stove malfunctioned or just proved to not be warm enough in the month or so of extreme cold.

Do any of you ever replace some of the windows to make it easier to keep your home more comfy?

pengyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 09:52 PM   #2
Mini-Skoolie

Think along the lines of a house.

Air infiltration...wind...will take away a LOT of heat. Seal holes with good caulking not just generic crappy silicone.

Get rid of as much glass as you can. If not, insulate the windows.

On a tear drop trailer forum someone suggested this material:

Superfoil SF60 multi-layer the ultimate multi-foil for roofs + walls.

I think that you'll find the foil clad foam sheathing is the best insulation, inch for inch. If inner dimensions/height is critical that is.

If looks don't matter, start the build and seal it with plastic wrap or blue tarps. Not very durable or good looking though ;)

If you're not going to move the bus adding some skirting will keep the wind from blowing up your pants leg. Maybe straw bales...but I've been suspicious of them being mouse attractors.
treenail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 10:06 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Has anyone tried this? Soy Based Foam Insulation: What It Is, and Why You Should Use It

Extra insulation also helps make the bus more quiet inside, and easier/cheaper to cool in the summer.
pengyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 07:34 AM   #4
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by pengyou View Post
I am sure that a kerosene stove would be good to have as a back-up,
No, They will coat everything with an oily film.
100MPG is offline   Reply With Quote