Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-05-2019, 12:26 PM   #1
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Mini-Split Install

Is there any reason this won't work. I want to install the compressor against a side wall in the garage and vent it out the side of the bus. An details on why this wouldn't work?
Attached Thumbnails
20190605_132218.jpg  

o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 01:46 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Ford
Engine: 6.6 New Holland Diesel
Rated Cap: 60 kids, 10 window
It should work as long as you get the air flow through the coils
Old 06-05-2019, 03:50 PM   #3
Bus Geek

It'll have the whole garage to suck air across the coil and vent it out the side. I have no A/C in the garage, so when needed in the cabin I can open windows to ensure enough air. I talked with a couple HVAC guys and they agreed it would work fine.
Old 06-05-2019, 05:30 PM   #4
Bus Geek

With a few small mods this will work nicely.
Attached Thumbnails
20190605_182137.jpg  
Old 06-05-2019, 05:44 PM   #5
Skoolie

As long as you've got decent ventilation in the garage, I don't see any reason not to
Old 06-05-2019, 06:22 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustKip View Post
As long as you've got decent ventilation in the garage, I don't see any reason not to
If the A/C is on it's because it is hot out. I don't have any A/C in the garage. So when the A/C is on, the windows in the garage will be open to ensure plenty of air flow. One HVAC guy said it would heat the air in the garage which is total BS. It sucks ambient air from the garage and vents hot air out the side, no hot air in the garage.
Old 06-07-2019, 06:45 PM   #7
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Thomas
Engine: CAT 3126
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
It sucks ambient air from the garage and vents hot air out the side, no hot air in the garage.

You will have the hot air from outside, which means you need to insulate your garage.

What about rain or intruders coming in the windows and compressor noise? The evaporator is quiet, but the condenser is louder. That may not matter to you, but noise level is a big part of why I chose mini splits.

IMO you would be better off skirt mounting the condenser and conserving your garage space for more important things.

https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f11/4-...ner-18205.html
david.dgeorge07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 06:54 PM   #8
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by david.dgeorge07 View Post
You will have the hot air from outside, which means you need to insulate your garage.

What about rain or intruders coming in the windows and compressor noise? The evaporator is quiet, but the condenser is louder. That may not matter to you, but noise level is a big part of why I chose mini splits.

IMO you would be better off skirt mounting the condenser and conserving your garage space for more important things.
1st off, there is no skirt mounting space to use. The compressor will suck the same air it would if it was completely outside the bus. The wall separating the cabin from the garage has 5" of rigid, the walls as well as the ceiling 1-1/2". The only thing not insulated is the floor. Intruders coming in my occupied bus?
Old 06-07-2019, 09:04 PM   #9
Bus Crazy

You asked for feedback. Those are things I would consider.

There are many times I leave my AC running while I’m not in my bus, and when I and my family are sleeping it feels better to be able to lock up. I know windows can be broken, but it seems like leaving them open presents more of of an invitation. And rain can blow in fast and make a mess.

I’m sure you’ll find something that works, but if the skirt is out of the question, why not build an enclosure that can vent with out relying on windows and interior air at all?

You could bring air up through the floor and vent out through the side like you proposed. The enclosure would deaden the noise some and eliminate the need to open the windows. Air from below the bus should be relatively cool which should improve your efficiency also.

Old 06-09-2019, 06:53 PM   #10
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by david.dgeorge07 View Post
You asked for feedback. Those are things I would consider.

There are many times I leave my AC running while I’m not in my bus, and when I and my family are sleeping it feels better to be able to lock up. I know windows can be broken, but it seems like leaving them open presents more of of an invitation. And rain can blow in fast and make a mess.

I’m sure you’ll find something that works, but if the skirt is out of the question, why not build an enclosure that can vent with out relying on windows and interior air at all?

You could bring air up through the floor and vent out through the side like you proposed. The enclosure would deaden the noise some and eliminate the need to open the windows. Air from below the bus should be relatively cool which should improve your efficiency also.
Okay, you've got me thinking about it more. As much as I love the fit of the condenser in the garage, if it's going to be noisy and inefficient , it might be wise to consider a different location. I suppose if I route the exhaust out the divers side I can mount the condenser underskirt behind the rear wheel flap.
I need to wait for the rain to stop to get under there and check it out. I already cut off 2 of the mounting feet on the condenser, I'll need to weld them back on.
Attached Thumbnails
20190609_193855.jpg  
Old 06-09-2019, 07:29 PM   #11
Bus Crazy

Year: 1975
Coachwork: Chevy
Chassis: 8 window
Engine: 454 LS7
Rated Cap: 24,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
Okay, you've got me thinking about it more. As much as I love the fit of the condenser in the garage, if it's going to be noisy and inefficient , it might be wise to consider a different location. I suppose if I route the exhaust out the divers side I can mount the condenser underskirt behind the rear wheel flap.
I need to wait for the rain to stop to get under there and check it out. I already cut off 2 of the mounting feet on the condenser, I'll need to weld them back on.
I've been following skoolie.net for a while now, sponging up as much information as I can - I've seen some great ideas and learned things that will be of real value to me once I get my own bus - some posts are valued as greatly as any because they show me things I want to avoid
Sleddgracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 07:55 PM   #12
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Chassis: IH 3800, 8 window
Engine: T444E w/ Spicer 5-speed MT
Rated Cap: I prefer broad-brims hats
True 'nuff!
I learn entirely enough from my own mistakes...
Old 06-09-2019, 08:04 PM   #13
Bus Crazy

Year: 1975
Coachwork: Chevy
Chassis: 8 window
Engine: 454 LS7
Rated Cap: 24,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by haz.matt.1960 View Post
True 'nuff!
I learn entirely enough from my own mistakes...
that too !! - I must be very wise by now, I've made a lot of mistakes in my life - lol
Sleddgracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 08:24 PM   #14
Bus Nut

The only thing I'd really worry about is the noise - and I don't know how loud it would be, so it's just speculation. If you have 5 inches of insulation on the back wall, the noise might not matter. (And you could always test it with a stereo or some loud power tool, and see how much you hear on the other side.)

As long as you had the proper ventilation to keep the garage at the ambient outside temperature, I don't think there would be too much of a hit in efficiency. Another window with a vent fan should do the trick. The unit sucks ambient air in one side, blows hot air out the other. I'm pretty sure the fan can blow the hot air 3 inches from the metal box out the window. It would be easy to make a gasket to get a clean seal.

I wouldn't worry about security. If you bolted the unit down, nobody is going to try and reach through the window, un-bolt the condenser, get a ladder, and climb in through the back window. There are easier ways to break into a bus.
Mark_In_MA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 08:36 PM   #15
Bus Crazy

Somewhere a while back I saw a write up on a skirt mounted unit.

Seemed like it turned out well.

If you already cut off the stub on the foot you may be able to butt the unit right up flush with the skirt and rivet the sheet metal together. (Obviously being careful not to damage the contents) Then some angle or box tube could go from the main lower skirt support, through the foot channel and form an L with a support that would anchor into the floor or a channel bolted to the floor.

As long as it is shielded from tire spray it should do well there.

Also you won’t have to worry about adding a condensate line to the outdoor unit if it is already outside. Doesn’t matter in cooling mode, but in heat mode it makes a lot of water.

Indoor unit produces condensate on cool mode, outdoor produces condensate on heat mode.

Old 06-10-2019, 12:53 AM   #16
Bus Nut

I have a mini split unit. Mounting it in the garage area will be fine for noise. They are quiet. Install some venting so it pulls air from outside the bus and exhaust it in the garage and you will be fine.

The compressor on these don't constantly run like a regular home a/c unit. They cycle on and off According to the the thermostat on the interior unit.

If your really worried about it, add some fans that blow air from the outside into the condenser area.

Give yourself 5" or so from the wall of the bus. Just my 2 cents
Old 06-19-2019, 04:59 PM   #17
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjakitty View Post
I have a mini split unit. Mounting it in the garage area will be fine for noise. They are quiet. Install some venting so it pulls air from outside the bus and exhaust it in the garage and you will be fine.

The compressor on these don't constantly run like a regular home a/c unit. They cycle on and off According to the the thermostat on the interior unit.

If your really worried about it, add some fans that blow air from the outside into the condenser area.

Give yourself 5" or so from the wall of the bus. Just my 2 cents
Wouldn't I want to pull air from the garage and vent it outside? I still like the idea of mounting it against the garage wall.
For those of you who have skirt mounted them, do you have any pics of the install? Should there be some sort of protection built around the unit? If not an open window, I could install a good size vent on the opposite wall to draw air in.

Does anyone know how many CFM these things run at?
Old 06-19-2019, 06:25 PM   #18
Bus Nut

I just said to vent it in case you needed windows **** for reasons s like rain or snow, etc...

I would have it blow out of the garage.

I mounted mine underneath. Used 24" underbody truck box mounts, a little all thread for stabilization, and unistrut across the mounts. It has a steel splash guard in front of it and hardware wire wrap as a cage around it
Old 06-19-2019, 06:41 PM   #19
Bus Geek

I forgot this was a heater also. So I would need to run it windows up, the side wall vent is sounding pretty good.
I want to mount it here, and blow it out that side wall, and vent the other side to draw air in.
Can this unit be mounted upside down, so I can plumb from the other end?
Attached Thumbnails
20190619_192733.jpg  
Old 06-19-2019, 06:55 PM   #20
Bus Nut

Sounds like a plan to me. I don't think they can be mounted upside down