Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-02-2020, 06:52 AM   #21
Bus Geek

Just because a feature is implemented does not mean using it is good practice

john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 07:12 AM   #22
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
the control unit for these isnt always necessary.. look at how the heater is operated if you can view its manual online..

the webasto 5kw I just installed in my bus CAN have a control unit to run it, however it only requires power be put to a single lead.. when i apply 12 volts the heater comes on and self-maintains the coolant temperature up to 160.. it varies its output so its running pretty slow by the time it gets up to 140 or so...

as for buying one from alibaba.. ive bought many things from alibaba from christmas lights to in-dash infotainment computers to mini-split Air conditioner parts..

one thing that I have found, is that while trump hates the chinese.. the chinese seem to Like the americans.. and if you show knowledge when contacting their support emails.. they are very respoinsive.. often WhatsApp is a great way to contact them.. and they respond rather quickly...

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 12:00 PM   #23
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: Blue Bird TC RE 3904, Flat Nose, 40', 277" wh base
Engine: 8.3L Cummins ISC 260hp, MT643, 4.44 rear
Rated Cap: 84 pax or 1 RV; 33,000lbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
the control unit for these isnt always necessary.. look at how the heater is operated if you can view its manual online..
Good info to have.

Quote:
the webasto 5kw I just installed in my bus CAN have a control unit to run it, however it only requires power be put to a single lead.. when i apply 12 volts the heater comes on and self-maintains the coolant temperature up to 160.. it varies its output so its running pretty slow by the time it gets up to 140 or so...
About time you install it!!

So, without controller it just runs up to whatever the highest temp is? I have no idea what 160F wiill do for a floor temp. Probably no way of knowing without actually running it. As of right now, the temp has to go thru 5/8ths ply. Eventually it will most likely be 5/8ths plus 3/4" solid

Quote:
one thing that I have found, is that while trump hates the chinese.. the chinese seem to Like the americans.. and if you show knowledge when contacting their support emails.. they are very respoinsive.. often WhatsApp is a great way to contact them.. and they respond rather quickly...

-Christopher
Haven't heard squat from the Alibada website folks. Sent them an email asking if it comes with a controller and all the necessary stuff for install. Sent it 12/26 and nothing but an auto response that they will get back to me shortly. I'd hate to see longly.
Brewerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 02:09 PM   #24
Bus Geek

on mine (which yes its installed!) the controller doesnt control the tmp.. the temp is hard coded... some of the fancier webasto coolant heaters may have some other tyype of contreols but mine the controller is just a timer and has no thermostat... you could create a thermostat which just turns on and off the input kead toi the heater... although when its inpout lead is off its pump also shuts off.. its pump does allow pass-through but unless you are using another pump you would be measureing temp of non-circulating coolant... I ghavent looked at the newest lines of webasto's im sure now-days they are fancier.. mine is a new unit but is an older model.. in my model it was understood you would want to keep the coolant warm for warm-starting your diesel engine or using with a fan-coil as an APU to keep a truck or RV warm...
Old 01-02-2020, 10:00 PM   #25
Bus Geek

Apparently this one does come with a controller.

Now the next question is how did yo pay for the Alibaba stuff? They only accept T/T and Western Union?!? per the WhatsApp and the PI (3rd attachment).

4. Yusenn Bank Account Information
BENEFICIARY: ZhengZhou Yusenn Auto Technology Co.,LTD
ADD: Courtyard 52,Hongsong Road,High-tech District,Zhengzhou, China
BANK NAME: BANK OF CHINA ZHENGZHOU HIGH-NEW SUB-BRANCH
BANK ADDRESS: NO.87 RUIDA ROAD ZHENGZHOU, HENAN, CHINA
BANK SWIFT CODE: BKCHCNBJ530
USD ACCOUNT NO.: 250743325184
Old 01-02-2020, 10:18 PM   #26
Bus Geek

The Alibaba site clearly has a credit card payment option. What gives?
Attached Thumbnails
Alibaba.jpg  
Old 01-03-2020, 02:46 AM   #27
Bus Geek

What is your question?

Each vendor sets their own payment media policies.

Best when you can - besides your CC with solid customer protection support - is choose one that accepts PayPal.

Much better than AliPay if something goes wrong.
Old 01-03-2020, 06:46 AM   #28
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
What is your question?

Each vendor sets their own payment media policies.

Best when you can - besides your CC with solid customer protection support - is choose one that accepts PayPal.

Much better than AliPay if something goes wrong.
Yeah, whomever I got the quote from doesn't even accept orders thru the Alibaba website any more. That site has (or had) the heater and CC payment. Starting this month they no longer accept orders thru the site tho. Sending a wire sounds sketchy as hell.
Old 01-03-2020, 06:52 AM   #29
Bus Geek

wire transfers are completely normal and standard on Ali

but getting scammed is a much higher risk than eBay or Amazon.

AliPay protection can be OK, but you often need to be persistent, can take a while.

Let us know how it goes, don't be afraid to name & shame.
Old 01-03-2020, 06:59 AM   #30
Bus Geek

Quote:
Let us know how it goes, don't be afraid to name & shame.
Name and shame isn't my worry. Losing $500 is my worry.

P.S. Alipay is a T/T service I assume?
Old 01-03-2020, 07:21 AM   #31
Bus Geek

when ive bought stuff off of alibaba I had to do either a verified credit card.. where they wanted to charge a noninal amounbt first and credit it back. to make sure my card was good..

i did a wire transfer for one item.. so I have a checking account that I onlky deposit funds in when Im doing a transfer.. yes i could get scammed, however only for the amount of $$ I put in the account and not for a bunch more..

some merchants want to charge surcharges for credit cards or bill-back the wire transfer fees... you have to read the Terms closely.. also look at the minimums.. sometimes a minimum order is required but you can write the seller and get a "sample" where they will agree to allow an order for just 1 or 2 units..

alibaba is geared more Business-2-Business and Ali-express is geared more toward consumer / end-user and will often have lower quantity requirements..

not all the sellers wantto deal with the little guy.. just have to feel them out.. some of them are hoping you are an OEM who will buy and re-brand the product as your own and be a large-volume customer..

while becoming an OEM and selling diesel heaters under a product-name sounds like it could be a skoolie-windfall, the liabaility of consumer heating / electric / fuel-based products is high... you need good lawyers on speed-dial to be an OEM..
-Christopher
Old 01-03-2020, 07:35 AM   #32
Bus Geek

It's Ali's buyer protection escrow service.

I thought it just shows up as the way to go be default?

Maybe something you need to sign up for.

Do some googling.

And first step is to start contacting the seller getting assurance all is well.

Never implying you suspect anything shady of course, don't start filing any complaints prematurely, odds are all is well and you'll get your stuff in a month or two.
Old 01-03-2020, 08:00 AM   #33
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
when ive bought stuff off of alibaba I had to do either a verified credit card.. where they wanted to charge a noninal amount first and credit it back. to make sure my card was good..
Apparently whomever I'm talking to thru WhatsApp doesn't take orders thru Alibaba as of Jan 2020.

Quote:
i did a wire transfer for one item.. so I have a checking account that I only deposit funds in when Im doing a transfer.. yes i could get scammed, however only for the amount of $$ I put in the account and not for a bunch more..
$500 would be a large pill to swallow.

Quote:
some merchants want to charge surcharges for credit cards or bill-back the wire transfer fees... you have to read the Terms closely.. also look at the minimums.. sometimes a minimum order is required but you can write the seller and get a "sample" where they will agree to allow an order for just 1 or 2 units..
Yeah, I only need 1 unit. 100% due before delivery too.

Quote:
alibaba is geared more Business-2-Business and Ali-express is geared more toward consumer / end-user and will often have lower quantity requirements..
Yeha, that's what I'm starting to realize. Qty of 1 is available tho.

Quote:
while becoming an OEM and selling diesel heaters under a product-name sounds like it could be a skoolie-windfall, the liability of consumer heating / electric / fuel-based products is high... you need good lawyers on speed-dial to be an OEM..
-Christopher
Yeah, I ain't looking to start a business especially in sales.
Old 01-03-2020, 08:07 AM   #34
Bus Geek

Quote:
It's Ali's buyer protection escrow service.
Gotcha

Quote:
I thought it just shows up as the way to go be default?
On the Alibaba site, it's T/T or CC.

Quote:
Maybe something you need to sign up for.

Do some googling.
I googled. You do have to sign up for it.

Quote:
And first step is to start contacting the seller getting assurance all is well.
Was talking last night. Still need to ask about the assurance.

Quote:
Never implying you suspect anything shady of course, don't start filing any complaints prematurely, odds are all is well and you'll get your stuff in a month or two.
Oh but I do suspect; it's my nature. Filling out complaints hasn't happened but filling out complaints also won't get your money back. With a CC, there's a way to recover your money. I don't know enough about wire transfers but I'm fairly certain you're screwed if they decide not to ship your item.
Old 01-03-2020, 10:27 AM   #35
Bus Geek

Yes SOL with wire transfer if no escrow service involved.

But only **if** they are scammers. My point is don't imply that you think they are, or their taking offense can cause a self-fulfilling prophecy.

(Appear to) assume the best until you are certain, there may be plenty of unsatisfactory shenanigans from a Western POV, but outright scammers are pretty rare.
Old 01-03-2020, 10:49 AM   #36
Bus Geek

Quote:

But only **if** they are scammers. My point is don't imply that you think they are, or their taking offense can cause a self-fulfilling prophecy.

(Appear to) assume the best until you are certain, there may be plenty of unsatisfactory shenanigans from a Western POV, but outright scammers are pretty rare.
"What assurances are there that the product will ship with a wire transfer?" <-- that was my last reply. Too aggressive?
Old 01-03-2020, 12:25 PM   #37
Bus Crazy

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner FS-65
Engine: 7.2L Cat 3126 turbo diesel
Rated Cap: 71 passenger 30,000 gvwr
Quote:

Yup, I would not be surprised if some of these companies are just as concerned that once their product is on the boat, they have no recourse with you if your funds don't clear...

I occasionally sell a few Willys & Scout parts on-line -- I would almost never ship nobody nothin' in the US w/out receiving the funds first.
banman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 12:49 PM   #38
Bus Nut

[QUOTE=cadillackid;366112]the control unit for these isnt always necessary.. look at how the heater is operated if you can view its manual online..

as for buying one from alibaba.. ive bought many things from alibaba from christmas lights to in-dash infotainment computers to mini-split Air conditioner parts..

-Christopher[/QUOTE, My electronics board on my Chinese 5kw heater is toast. Are you saying that if I find the right wire; then the glow plug will work, the fan will run and the fuel pump will all run?

1998 Ford B700 Thomas body 65 passenger. 5.9 Cummins 12 valve with MT643 Transmission 123,000 miles.
Versatile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 12:57 PM   #39
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewerbob View Post
"What assurances are there that the product will ship with a wire transfer?" <-- that was my last reply. Too aggressive?
Not sure what the answer could be to the above other than "none but trust us".

I'd have just asked - please let me know the approximate ship date and arrival here.
Old 01-03-2020, 01:30 PM   #40
Bus Geek

Quote:
Not sure what the answer could be to the above other than "none but trust us".

I'd have just asked - please let me know the approximate ship date and arrival here.
They said 7 days for that.