Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-13-2018, 09:44 PM   #21
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Thomas EF
Engine: Cat 3126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjakitty View Post
Well then, it's time to start reading up by on it so you can make an informed decision before you take information from random internet people and invest 1000's of dollars on something you don't understand.

Start researching how different batteries work, go to the NAWS website/forum, read every thread on this site and read everything you can about power consumption, storage, and creation.

I don't think anyone here is just going to tell you what to buy because it's such a personal choice. Also, many of the people that respond here have deep knowledge of a lot of the issues here but they are not teachers. They help those who help themselves, in my experience.

I'm starting to get a bit annoyed that people feel obliged to post about me needing to read more without reading what I have posted.

These "random" people on the internet belong to this forum to help people like me by sharing their experiences of failures and success. Not everyone can learn how to do something by reading a book. Likewise, not everyone has the money to purchase things that will not work just to learn the lesson that they will not work.

Stating "read more" helps no one. Do you honestly think I haven't done any reading on this subject?

Old 06-13-2018, 10:52 PM   #22
Bus Nut

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Ford
Engine: 6.6 New Holland Diesel
Rated Cap: 60 kids, 10 window
Ok, I'm sure you have read up on it. I'll try to help instead of antagonize. I did not mean to insult people here that help as they have helped me a lot. Sometimes I shouldn't hit that reply button.

I bought my panels and equipment from Northern Arizona Wind and Solar (https://www.solar-electric.com) I emailed them to help me figure out my charge controller and breakers. I'm running 4 x 350 watt panels. I will hook up 2 panels in series and run those pairs on parallel. I also bought a Midnite Classic 200 MPPT charge controller. Each panel runs to a breaker before entering the controller and there is another breaker on the way out to the batteries. I don't have the sizes at the moment but I can get them if you need them.

If you charge from your alternator, it needs to go into a multi stage charger so it charges correctly. It also needs some type of isolation solenoid to keep the starter batteries from taking from your house battery bank.

You need to decide what type of converter you want and how many watts its rated for. I opted for a inverter/charger with auto transfer switch. Just Google search the above and include the Watts your looking for.
Old 08-04-2018, 09:45 AM   #23
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjakitty View Post
Ok, I'm sure you have read up on it. I'll try to help instead of antagonize. I did not mean to insult people here that help as they have helped me a lot. Sometimes I shouldn't hit that reply button.

I bought my panels and equipment from Northern Arizona Wind and Solar (https://www.solar-electric.com) I emailed them to help me figure out my charge controller and breakers. I'm running 4 x 350 watt panels. I will hook up 2 panels in series and run those pairs on parallel. I also bought a Midnite Classic 200 MPPT charge controller. Each panel runs to a breaker before entering the controller and there is another breaker on the way out to the batteries. I don't have the sizes at the moment but I can get them if you need them.

If you charge from your alternator, it needs to go into a multi stage charger so it charges correctly. It also needs some type of isolation solenoid to keep the starter batteries from taking from your house battery bank.

You need to decide what type of converter you want and how many watts its rated for. I opted for a inverter/charger with auto transfer switch. Just Google search the above and include the Watts your looking for.
If you're going to charge the coach batteries while traveling, they make a dual battery isolator which charges both and blocks cross flow between battery banks. You can also add a solenoid across the battery cables to a button on the dash to allow the coach batteries to help a discharged truck battery. Winnebago brave had them from the factory.
golfersmurf57 is offline   Reply With Quote