Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 05-18-2017, 12:55 PM   #1
Bus Nut
 
warewolff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: NY
Posts: 283
Year: 2000
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: T444E
Portable air conditioning running on solar

So I'm looking at energy efficient portable air conditioners. Next to the RV roof mounted a/c's, they are extremely efficient. For example, this 14,000BTU unit supposedly pulls less than 10 amps. Contrast this with near 20 amps for most of the similar spec'd rooftop models. I have an 860amp battery backup, or approximately 10kWh, and 1.2kW of solar on my roof. I don't think I'll have a problem running this unit a few hours a day on high to knock the interior temps down from 90 to 70.

Any opinions?
__________________
Roads? Where we're going, we don't need ... roads.
warewolff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 01:01 PM   #2
Bus Geek
 
EastCoastCB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eustis FLORIDA
Posts: 10,095
Year: 1992
Coachwork: Ward/AmTran
Chassis: International
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by warewolff View Post
So I'm looking at energy efficient portable air conditioners. Next to the RV roof mounted a/c's, they are extremely efficient. For example, this 14,000BTU unit supposedly pulls less than 10 amps. Contrast this with near 20 amps for most of the similar spec'd rooftop models. I have an 860amp battery backup, or approximately 10kWh, and 1.2kW of solar on my roof. I don't think I'll have a problem running this unit a few hours a day on high to knock the interior temps down from 90 to 70.

Any opinions?
Mini Split. that is all.
__________________
.
Roll Your Own Build Thread
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 01:14 PM   #3
Bus Nut
 
warewolff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: NY
Posts: 283
Year: 2000
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: T444E
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Mini Split. that is all.
Can you post or link me to pictures of this install in your rig? And what is the advantage to this vs a portable unit minus space savings? It seems more costly and more complicated for comparable efficiency.
__________________
Roads? Where we're going, we don't need ... roads.
warewolff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 01:19 PM   #4
Bus Geek
 
EastCoastCB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eustis FLORIDA
Posts: 10,095
Year: 1992
Coachwork: Ward/AmTran
Chassis: International
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by warewolff View Post
Can you post or link me to pictures of this install in your rig? And what is the advantage to this vs a portable unit minus space savings? It seems more costly and more complicated for comparable efficiency.
SomewhereinUSA's rig is up and running man. Check his out, he's running two of em. Mines under construction. If you wanna see a bus dissected click the link at the bottom of every post I make.

Mini split on a camper-


Maybe up in NY those portable units are ok. I'm in FL, and here those portable things aren't worth a damn.
__________________
.
Roll Your Own Build Thread
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 01:34 PM   #5
Bus Nut
 
warewolff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: NY
Posts: 283
Year: 2000
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: T444E
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
SomewhereinUSA's rig is up and running man. Check his out, he's running two of em. Mines under construction. If you wanna see a bus dissected click the link at the bottom of every post I make.
Very cool, thanks for the link. I have got to get on following more of these builds but have been so busy with my own I get tunnel vision.
__________________
Roads? Where we're going, we don't need ... roads.
warewolff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 01:36 PM   #6
Bus Geek
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Columbus Ohio
Posts: 6,083
Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International S3800
Engine: DT360
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
I own what would be considered the top of the line portable unit.. its called a CLimax and is an inverter type variable speed unit.. it is an excellent unit when the temps are somewhat tepid but if your interior is 90 and its a hot one like 90 outside.. good luck..
that unit Chokes in high temperatures...

the condenser coils arent big enough to handle the heat load.. and their energy useage goes way up... the R-410A refrigerant needs a large condensor area as it tends to condense slow.. the higher the temperature the slower it condenses and if you cant remove the heat away from the refrigerant you cant move it away from the room...

theres a reason that a 12,500 BTU mini split has roughly 2.5X the condensor coil area that a portable unit does... R-410A needs it.. and minisplits have it... yes they are larger but they work Much better at a Much better efficiency
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 02:41 PM   #7
Bus Nut
 
warewolff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: NY
Posts: 283
Year: 2000
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: T444E
Any thoughts on this 9,000BTU Pioneer mini-split? I know I'd need some mounting brackets but my bus is 95 degrees today, fully insulated with elastometric roof paint and I won't make it through the summer.
__________________
Roads? Where we're going, we don't need ... roads.
warewolff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 02:56 PM   #8
Bus Geek
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Columbus Ohio
Posts: 6,083
Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International S3800
Engine: DT360
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
firstr off dpmt mess with 9000, get the 12000... a minisplit running flat out is very inefficienct.. they want to run at 30-80% of capacity to be efficient and effective at humidity and heat..

they sre sold under any number of various nameplates... 95% of them are made by the same 3 chinese manufacturers.. and for some reason all of them are located in the same geographical area so it may be all those companies collude I have no idea...

mitsubishi and daikin are the only ones I know that use different manufacturers.. and daikin may not on their consumer grade mini splits..

the big thing is make sure it has lots of airflow wherever you mount the outdoor unit...
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 03:09 PM   #9
Bus Nut
 
warewolff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: NY
Posts: 283
Year: 2000
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: T444E
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
firstr off dpmt mess with 9000, get the 12000... a minisplit running flat out is very inefficienct.. they want to run at 30-80% of capacity to be efficient and effective at humidity and heat..

they sre sold under any number of various nameplates... 95% of them are made by the same 3 chinese manufacturers.. and for some reason all of them are located in the same geographical area so it may be all those companies collude I have no idea...

mitsubishi and daikin are the only ones I know that use different manufacturers.. and daikin may not on their consumer grade mini splits..

the big thing is make sure it has lots of airflow wherever you mount the outdoor unit...
-Christopher
A Mitsubishi getting into 12kBTU+ and I'm looking at thousands into my a/c... This 12kBTU Toshiba looks pretty enticing though.
__________________
Roads? Where we're going, we don't need ... roads.
warewolff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 03:33 PM   #10
Bus Geek
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Columbus Ohio
Posts: 6,083
Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International S3800
Engine: DT360
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by warewolff View Post
A Mitsubishi getting into 12kBTU+ and I'm looking at thousands into my a/c... This 12kBTU Toshiba looks pretty enticing though.
yeah mitsi is too pricey.. I never use them... I have 3 cheap chinese ones that I modified the H*LL! out of in my house and have had running since 2009 and they work just fine... had a couple issues at first but none since about mid 2010.

toshiba, panasonic, gree, grunaire, etc are all similar.. some use sanyo compressors others toshiba..

I never wouldve thought any mini would last in a bus due to the vibrations and thin copper pipes but somewhereinusa has been doin it for awhile and they work great
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:54 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.