Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-29-2016, 03:36 PM   #21
Skoolie

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: CAT 3126
Something occured to me today, while I was sitting in the bus making plans. What sort of water heating system pairs best with wood-burning stoves? Is everyone with a wood stove still tied down to propane/gas for water?

Marceps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 05:20 PM   #22
Bus Nut

Year: 2005
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: Detroit MBE906
Rated Cap: 72
Not really sure how you'd get that to work..... you'd need a heat transfer coil (sorta like a reverse radiator) and a pump to push the water through it..... the placement of the transfer coil would be the trick. The downside, of course, is it would only work when you're using the wood stove... which means you would still need electric or LP for other times.

Now, using this to create a heated floor... that would be SO useful. No extra electric or LP wasted, if anything you're using heat that would otherwise go up the flue. And chances are if you don't need the stove you wouldn't need the heated floor either so no backup system needed.
As a level 1 burglar, Bilbo got a pony when he accompanied the level 60 dwarves on the Smaug the Dragon raid. Those powerlevelers probably invited him solely so he could trigger fellowship attacks for them.
AlleyCat67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 11:39 AM   #23
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: Your mom +1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marceps View Post
Something occured to me today, while I was sitting in the bus making plans. What sort of water heating system pairs best with wood-burning stoves? Is everyone with a wood stove still tied down to propane/gas for water?
You can add a coil of copper tubing around the flue and through the use of tanks, and most importantly, pressure relief valves, you could effectively make a boiler. You could then use that to heat your space...

You just have to make sure you don't over-pressure your tank because you are making some incredible pressures when you start turning water to steam...
slaughridge85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 10:26 PM   #24
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1990
Chassis: Blue Bird tc/2000
Engine: Cummins 5.9 L L6 diesel
Rated Cap: 48 (12 windows)
Quick question about wood stoves (and this may have come up in another thread but it's late and I'm lazy): Is it practical if you work outside the home all day? or do you worry about pipes freezing because you are gone for 9 hours or so and are not stoking the wood stove?

I love a wood fire, but am considering a catalytic propane heater like an Olympian Wave 6. Thoughts?
Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 10:53 PM   #25
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Carpenter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bell View Post
Quick question about wood stoves (and this may have come up in another thread but it's late and I'm lazy): Is it practical if you work outside the home all day? or do you worry about pipes freezing because you are gone for 9 hours or so and are not stoking the wood stove?

I love a wood fire, but am considering a catalytic propane heater like an Olympian Wave 6. Thoughts?
I have an Olympian 8 and a small stove. I use propane when it's available and switch to wood if it's convenient.
Old 01-11-2017, 06:36 AM   #26
Bus Nut

Year: 1996
Chassis: thomas
Engine: 8.3 cummins
Rated Cap: 11 window
I plan on installing a direct vent model lp heater, too many things about them non vented heaters I don't like, its still putting out some nasty stuff. nothing burns perfect and whatever it does put out will build up over time.my dogs are on the floor which is the worst area to be in. as far as a wood stove, if I plan on staying somewhere that has a good supply of wood ill just buy a used one from a local and stick the pipe out a window. hopefully with all the insulation and windows blocked off I wont go thru too much lp.
superdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 12:53 PM   #27
Bus Nut

Rated Cap: Your mom +1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bell View Post
Is it practical if you work outside the home all day? or do you worry about pipes freezing because you are gone for 9 hours or so and are not stoking the wood stove?
I use only wood to heat my bus. I usually stick a log on the fire before I head to work and damper it down. When I come home for lunch I stoke it again usually. Coals can last for hours and hours. That being said when it is ~10 degrees outside, my bus, with lots of insulation will stay around 50 for several hours even after the fire has died... So I don't worry about pipes freezing.
slaughridge85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 08:31 AM   #28
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: Blue Bird TC RE 3904, Flat Nose, 40', 277" wh base
Engine: 8.3L Cummins ISC 260hp, MT643, 4.44 rear
Rated Cap: 84 pax or 1 RV; 33,000lbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
wow I never new pallets were treated.. most of the ones ive seen seem just like splintery bare wood... I didnt realize they pressure treat them like deck wood? I know people have been told for years not to make a bon-fire with an old torn down wood deck from a house..
-Christopher
They are not pressure treated. No one cares if the pallets rot. They are treated for bugs. The ones in the US are generally heat treated. But if you're getting furniture from Asia then watch out!! There's no telling what the pallets are treated with from that part of the world.
Brewerbob is offline   Reply With Quote