zim
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 82
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: TransitLiner
Engine: Cummins 5.9l
Rated Cap: 72
Re: Radiant Floor Heating Reference

No offense taken at all, Smitty. I am the first to admit I don't always think things through. You have certainly got me looking, and Lorna's lead on the Aqua-Hot stuff let me get some better numbers, even if I haven't figured out how to calculate the heat load of the bus yet. To me, this is the whole point of the board... providing real information to people that will help them make good decisions.

It looks like the aqua hot system is definately closed loop, using either 2 2kw elements to heat the boiler loop or a diesel burner that pulls a little less than half a gallon per hour when off grid. This is run through an exchanger for hot water, and instead of a floor loop, they use small radiators with 12v fans. The 2x2Kw unit mentioned above can support 9 of these heat exchangers. Since they are designed for coaches, I'd guess that the main heater provides enough energy, but the radiant floor portion probably won't transfer enough into the cabin. It has me curious, though, about how much warm air would come out of one of my old under-seat heaters if I hooked it up to that 6 gallon water heater with a circ pump and antifreeze. That's something I could just try without installing while I'm working on the bus. More to come...
Old 12-27-2010, 12:08 PM   #12
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Eldorado Aerotech 24'
Chassis: Ford E-450 Cutaway Bus
Engine: 7.3L Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty
Once the thermostat is satisfied, flow will stop, and the opportunity to freeze prevents itself, especially with hot water. Smitty
Interesting that you would say this, because I had a heating system freeze up a few years back that was circulating 180 degree water. It absolutely floored me that it could do that. We were having -10 degree nights then and the heat coil got a blast of cold air on startup, but until then I had believed that 180 degree circulating water would trump -10 degree air anytime.

Can you provide any insight into this?

Thanx - Rick
Old 12-27-2010, 12:40 PM   #13
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89

I believe that was covered on an episode of "Bill Nye The Science Guy"!

David told me that he and his sisters would put hot water outside in the winter to see how fast it would freeze. That was not something I ever did. David grew up in MI winters and I grew up in FL winters.

http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/physic...hot_water.html
http://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
http://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 11:47 AM   #14
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Eldorado Aerotech 24'
Chassis: Ford E-450 Cutaway Bus
Engine: 7.3L Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 19

Man, It seems that every time I think I've finally got a handle on this crazy world something like this comes along to remind me that I know NOTHING. ;)
Old 12-29-2010, 12:36 PM   #15
zim
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 82
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: TransitLiner
Engine: Cummins 5.9l

Quote:
Originally Posted by roach711
Man, It seems that every time I think I've finally got a handle on this crazy world something like this comes along to remind me that I know NOTHING. ;)
That's a daily occurrence for some of us
Old 01-08-2011, 01:18 PM   #16
Skoolie

Year: 1999
Coachwork: AmTran RE
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E

I have a question. Reading this thread gave me an idea, and I'd love to have someone either shoot it down or give me the "hey, that might just actually work."

What about plumbing a floor heating system into the bus heating system, and finding a way to heat the antifreeze while parked? I'm envisioning a system that flows from the radiator through the defroster, relocated bus heaters, and a couple lines in the floor, with individual valves to control the flow to each section. This could also incorporate tank heaters for the WVO conversion I might try to tackle in a few years and am leaving room for in planning my bus layout. When the engine's running, you have heat everywhere. When the engine's off, find a way to heat that antifreeze, and you have not only cabin heat, but a way to warm the engine for easy starting.

As for heating when parked, I'd consider one of those auxiliary heaters designed for buses which run on diesel and heat/circulate the coolant, or possibly see if I could rig something up with the gas water heater I pulled out of the donor trailer that has a busted tank from the previous owner not draining it for winter. Maybe both, redundancy is good.
Old 01-08-2011, 02:41 PM   #17
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89

First off, you need to download the install information from http://www.radiantcompany.com/details/ (or a similar outfit).
Then I would suggest that you look at the info over on http://www.aqua-hot.com/eSource/ecom...t/RV_Home.aspx and see how they are plumbed into the engine systems. And then figure out how to merge the tow systems together in a way that will work for you.

BTW, you can also use it to preheat your diesel engine when it's cold out.
http://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
http://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote