Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-12-2006, 01:02 AM   #1
Bus Nut

Refrigerator stink

Does anyone know how to get the stink out of a fridge? Between uses, my fridge in my bus gets stinky, even after cleaning it. I can leave the door open but then it stinks up the whole bus. I thought about putting some charcoal in it to absorb the moisture/stench.

Does anyone else have a solution to this? I’ve read somewhere that baking soda in the fridge is not effective.

Old 05-12-2006, 08:55 AM   #2
Bus Geek

i don't know about a fridge in particular, but coffee is really good at absorbing other odors....just ask the guys who try to smuggle cocaine across the border...You could try to leave some coffee grounds in a dish (or in a coffee filter) inside the fridge to see if that works. I am quite certian you have both coffee and filters in your bus lol (because i left them there)

baking soda in a dish is also supposed to help with fridge odors, but i don't know how well that works on a warm fridge.

When i used to have one, i would clean it out using bleach water, and that seemed to do a pretty good job with the odors.
Old 05-12-2006, 09:59 AM   #3
Bus Nut

Thanks guys I'm going to clean it with the bleach & water today. Then I'll put some coffee grounds in there. I'll keep ya posted.
Old 05-16-2006, 11:39 AM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 1985
Coachwork: ThomasBuilt
Chassis: International Harvester S-1700
Engine: 9L IHC V-8 Diesel 180HP
Rated Cap: 60
Re: Refrigerator stink

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillbus914
Does anyone know how to get the stink out of a fridge? Between uses, my fridge in my bus gets stinky, even after cleaning it. I can leave the door open but then it stinks up the whole bus. I thought about putting some charcoal in it to absorb the moisture/stench.

Does anyone else have a solution to this? I’ve read somewhere that baking soda in the fridge is not effective.
Again, I make my obligatory anti-refrigerator commentary...

The best way to get the stink out of a fridge in your bus is to get rid of the fridge!

I know, I know...I'll stop now...
Eric von Kleist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 05:01 AM   #5
Skoolie

Couple things come to mind...
A) maybe it isn't as clean as you think, especially the seal around the door.
B) is something dead in the fridge foam insulation? Critters sometimes move in......
Wash everything again, including the cooling fins. Best I can think of.
Old 05-18-2006, 08:29 AM   #6
Bus Nut

I put some bleach in a spray bottle and misted the inside & wiped it clean with a wet washcloth, then paper towels to dry it out. Then I did the coffee grounds in coffee filters thing, one on the bottom shelf and one on the top. Now it smells like coffee and bleach.

humm... better than what is did smell like, I guess.