Old 10-30-2017, 04:22 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2004
Coachwork: Chevy
Chassis: Blue Bird Micro Bird
Engine: 6.3L?
Rated Cap: 25?
Removing my air conditioner

I have a 5 window 2002 Chevy/Blue Bird Micro Bird.

It has a large ac unit above the driver, mounted above the rearview mirror.
It also has the standard ac that is aimed for the driver himself.

I am looking to remove the large one mounted high up.

I am not completely sure how to go about this.

Any help would be appreciated.

(We are removing it to create storage and we have plans for a different more efficient ac in the future)

Thank you
IAmGuadalupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 06:11 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Welcome,

I would be cautious about removing the air conditioner. It takes a LOT of cooling capability to cool a bus running down the road in warm weather.

I pulled the big road air out of my first bus and hated myself for it.

Hopefully Caddilackid will chime in. He is our resident A/C Guru. He can speak much more intelligently than I can when it comes to all things A/C.

Good luck with your project.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 11:00 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Chassis: Blue Bird
Engine: ISC 8.3
I agree: unless your different more efficient future a/c is going to be usable while the bus is underway, you'll probably regret removing that. But if you plan for that other a/c to operate while driving, then go ahead!

To answer your question, it's almost certainly using R134a refrigerant. Start by taking it to an auto repair shop to have the refrigerant captured. If the engine has two compressors then things are easy: remove the one that went to that now-evacuated system and all the hoses and whats-its that go along with it. You'd need to figure out how to re-route the serpentine belt after removal of that compressor. It might require buying an idler and a bracket to go where the compressor was, or it might be as simple as choosing a shorter belt.

If the engine has only one compressor things could be more difficult. You'll still have to remove the refrigerant, but you'll have to figure out how the two evaporators work on the one system and come up with a plan to cap or eliminate the connections that the larger overhead evaporator was using. When it's all sealed up again it could go back to a shop to be evacuated, leak tested, and try to figure out much refrigerant to put back in.
family wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 06:52 AM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International S3800
Engine: DT360
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
if that bus has a dashboard A/C, you can remove that upper unit and still keep the dashboard A/C. most of these are set up where you'll have the condenser unit on the outside under the bus skirting, you'll need to keep that.. many times the coach builder installed whats called a "tie-in" system where the fittings are simply screwed onto the existing lines..

DONT JUST UNSCREW STUFF!! yes! get the freon removed first.. then look at how that upper unit ties in.. there will be 2 lines coming from it.. if its done right then under the hood will be T fittings thats can be nscrewed, removed, and re-fitted to the original factory A/C.. if its carrier then chances are they hacked it all up (grrr!) and hard-tied it in.. however its still doable, just takes a few more parts to keep the dashboard A/C and yank the upper unit.

if you are SUPER LUCKY then they will have used a complete separate compressor and system for that upper unit making it very easy to keep the dashboard A/C.. (this is very unusual ifthey did that).
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 08:03 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2004
Coachwork: Chevy
Chassis: Blue Bird Micro Bird
Engine: 6.3L?
Rated Cap: 25?
My question is, is it worth taking out? I'd really enjoy the storage space it'd provide.
But is there an A/C unit that would be more efficient, and quieter, and able to run while driving?

I uploaded pics of the A/C and if any of you could help me better understand what I have going on here that'd be awesome.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20171112_151731.jpg (223.6 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg 20171112_151742.jpg (221.1 KB, 13 views)
IAmGuadalupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 08:13 AM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

AC and heater removal

Do the AC and heater removal has anything to do with the engine or its coolant system? I saw a Youtuber say that they cut the hose and there was coolant everywhere. We are just starting our demo and would like to see if anyone can help, please.
AraS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 10:32 AM   #7
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by AraS View Post
Do the AC and heater removal has anything to do with the engine or its coolant system? I saw a Youtuber say that they cut the hose and there was coolant everywhere. We are just starting our demo and would like to see if anyone can help, please.
Yes they are tied together, they also run the front heat/defroster. So you want to cut the line and connect a loop to direct the coolant back to the front.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 05:40 AM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

thank you!
AraS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air conditioner, help please!, removal, short bus