Old 11-12-2018, 07:37 AM   #1
Bus Crazy

Year: 98
Coachwork: 1. Corbeil & 2. Thomas
Chassis: 1 ford e350 2 mercedes
Engine: 7.3 powerstroke & MBE906
Single Cylinderengine for AC compressor

I want to use a robin dy27 single cylinder diesel to drive the AC compressor.
The shaft runs CCW ( left). The AC compressor, a Thermo King X430 runs clockwise. It has an internal pump and can not be reversed.
If I turn the diesel engine around and make a shaft on the flywheel / cooling fan side then all is good.This robin has a ball bearing at the flywheel side and a sleeve on the out put shaft side. The rope pull starter part can be removed because it has an electric start provision.

Has any one made a successful modification with a pulley on the flywheel side?

Thank you, J
joeblack5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 08:40 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
maybe the solution is to use a different compressor.. the sanden enhanced HD7 series(there are HD7 and enhanced HD7) compressors are much smaller in size but would provide the amount of cooling you are looking to achieve. if i remember right you are planning to belt-down the compressor to gain more torque and reduce capacity with some of the fans removed or shut down.

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 09:21 AM   #3
Bus Crazy

Thanks Chris, I thought about that but the cost to open up the system, get all the adapters and refill it are not something I look forward to.
May be later when I have the stuff to make it a reversing heatpump so that I can use it for heating as well.
The other thought would be to replace it with an electric compressor and attempt to put that onto the roof as well.

If someone would pay some money for the whole thing I would not mind pulling it of the roof and changing into a split heatpump.

The shaft modification on the diesel is for know the preferred solution. Since I can do it myself and that takes times but is not expensive.

Later johan
Old 11-13-2018, 11:04 AM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
I wouldn't run it off the flywheel side. Reason being is that the "sleeve" bearing that you mentioned isn't pressure fed, and will usually burn up in short order if you have any type of one-directional load on them.

If the engine is running ccw, and the compressor is running cw, would you be able to rotate the engine 180 on the vertical axis, therefore making the engine shaft run cw? I mean, if it is electric start, accessibility to the flywheel shouldn't be required for operation.
Booyah45828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 11:14 AM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblack5 View Post
The rope pull starter part can be removed because it has an electric start provision.

Thank you, J
I have owned a handful of generators that had electric start.

Every one of them had a pull start for backup. At some point I needed to pull start every one of them.

I would recommend keeping yours.

Good luck with your project. I think that is a great idea.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 01:57 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Thank you both for the response. I did not explain my dilemma very well.

The way the AC compresor sits it the bus leaves me only with the diesel engine next to it.

So if I were able to mount the engine inline with the compressor then all would be good. The CCW engine and the CW compressor would match because they are facing each other.
But I do not have the space to move the compressor. Besides that I need a 4;1 or 5;1 reduction ratio. So with a 3000 rpm motor the compressor should run 600 RPM. That would also match the power of the motor to the demand of the compressor and the amount of cooling capacity I need.

To reduce the radial load on the bearing I would use a HTD timing belt.

So the flywheel side has a ball bearing, the normal shaft side has a sleeve. This engine has a oil pump but I do not know if that output bearing is pressure fed. Need to study the robin DY27 manual a little more .

Steve, I do not like take the pull start of but I feel that I have no other good option. I hear you Murphy is listening as well...

The above test in the pictures uses a DC permanent magnet motor running there at 36 Volt. There is some notable cooling..That motor would be replaced with the Robin diesel.

Johan
Old 11-13-2018, 02:35 PM   #7
Skoolie

Year: 2004
Coachwork: Corbeil
Chassis: Ford
Engine: Ford PowerStroke Diesel 6.0
Rated Cap: GVWR 11,500
Not knowing the dimensions of the motor you're planning to use and not being able to really discern the amount of space available, would something like this work? I'm sure you've given this a lot of thought, but sometimes I feel like a simple solution is easy to overlook
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20181113_143153.jpg (124.1 KB, 9 views)
weboughtabus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 02:52 PM   #8
Bus Nut

Year: 1984
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
I think you should read the manual again. How I read it, it has the ball bearing on the flywheel side while the pto side has a babbit bearing.

If that is the case, I see no problem in mounting a standard v-belt pulley on flywheel end. The engine is air cooled so make sure that whatever you mount onto the flywheel, that it doesn't disrupt the cooling air flow. The "guards" and other sheet metal surrounds are important too so keep them intact.

You could use a htd belt, but I don't think it's necessary and would just add more expense.

Another thought that I have is you could add one of those manual winding pull start pulleys onto the pto end, and then you would have your pull start option as well. Just make sure you get one that winds the correct way(ccw I believe).

Good luck with it.

ON EDIT. I read your 1st post backwards. Most small engines have the "babbit bearing" on the flywheel side with the ball bearing on the pto side. I know that a babbit bearing isn't supposed to have much load on it unless it is pressure fed, which is why on your 5hp briggs and strattons your not supposed to run anything off the flywheel side.
Booyah45828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 03:32 PM   #9
Bus Crazy

Thank you both. Yes that would be easiest , thank you for the sketch, a picture is a thousand words, but there is no space unless I would move the compressor more to the front of the bus. I looked into flipping it 180 degree but it does not work with the existing freon lines.

The robin dy27 came originally of a generator. So it did not have radial loads on the sleeve bearing.

Thank you for letting me look into a pull start mechanism on the PTO side. Indeed that should not be to hard. Even just a pulley with a rope could do it if in a pinch.

I will try to modify an old brake caliper as adapter and spacer to get over the flywheel nut. . have to look for an old e350 caliper and see if that would work out.

Johan
Old 11-19-2018, 09:44 PM   #10

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas Freightliner
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: 5.9 Cummings
Set the motor strait forward as in the sketch and run a jack shaft between the motor and compressor. It would require 2 belts but they would be short
COONDOG96 is offline   Reply With Quote