Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-09-2019, 01:27 PM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Me
Chassis: 2001 IC
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 72
Solar water heater

I seen a skoolie few weeks back that had a 4 inch PVC pipe ( painted black) running the length of his bus on the roof. I asked what it was for, he stated he has his water ran to the pipe from a Y he controls inside during the warmer months. This pipe heats his water better then a water heater does and its free. Has anyone tried this?

Scott
www.skoolieadventures.com

Ciscokid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 01:36 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 2007
Coachwork: ICCORP
Chassis: CE300
Rated Cap: 16
PVC is a thermoplastic, and therefore, at some point it will begin to degrade and break down as it's heated up. It just so happens that Schedule 40 PVC's maximum operating temperature is 140 degrees Fahrenheit, around the same temperature that hot water gets to in most homes. That max operating temperature of 140F means that any temperature above this will cause the schedule 40 PVC pipes to break down, compromising the integrity of the pipe (think leaks and bursting).

For this reason, it is recommended that PVC pipe and fittings be used only for applications where the water temperature does not exceed 140F. Even if your application involves water at temperatures nearing 130F, I would recommend another material, as temperatures have a tendency to fluctuate, and it's always better to err on the safe side.

So what's your alternative to PVC for hot water lines? CPVC

CPVC is a thermoplastic just like PVC, and it comes in pipe and fittings just like PVC. The difference lies in the chemical makeup. CPVC material goes though an extra chlorination process that gives the plastic slightly different qualities - one of which is a higher maximum operating temperature. CPVC (schedule 80) pipe is rated for use up to 200 degrees Fahrenheit. This makes it ideal for use on hot water lines in homes and businesses.

Source from: https://www.pvcfittingsonline.com/re...for-hot-water/
Old 01-09-2019, 02:41 PM   #3
Skoolie

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Me
Chassis: 2001 IC
Very good information Pizote. Thank you
Ciscokid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 02:44 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1975
Coachwork: Chevy
Chassis: 8 window
Engine: 454 LS7
Rated Cap: 24,500
paint the white plastic with flat black paint for best heating results
Sleddgracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 02:49 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleddgracer View Post
paint the white plastic with flat black paint for best heating results
He said paint it black in the first sentence.
While this is a great way to heat water, I don't want 4" pipes hanging on the bus. How effective are they in the winter?
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 04:05 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: Cat 3116
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
He said paint it black in the first sentence.
While this is a great way to heat water, I don't want 4" pipes hanging on the bus. How effective are they in the winter?

They hold ice very well which turns to water in time.

I would tie down my dogsled to those pipes, if I had one, or landing pad for a helicopter. Ya never knows!

John
Old 01-09-2019, 05:03 PM   #7
Bus Geek

Year: 86
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
Don't have the numbers in front of me right now but Schedule 80 PVC can and will handle up to something like 230-240 degrees without much problem except the freezing temps unless you drain it or heat tape it.
I use sch. 80 for natural gas and propane boiler exhaust all the time and have only had one issue in 15-years where a lightning strike hit a pair of boilers that were exterior of a building and fried everything but the main power to the boilers and they went to 100% and didn't shut down.
The relief valves and water make up saved them from blowing up but when I got to them them sch.80 was black and so hot you could it was like rubber and the top section above my last support was ready to start leaning and collapsing.
But with no manual safeties on the boiler and all electrical safeties disabled there was nothing to shut them down until the main power was killed.
Sorry about that? Brought back a memory? Building more like them this morning so it reminded me of experience/design issues I am looking at bringing up with the engineer?
I have and do install solar water systems.
I have friends that have the pipe on there jeeps or whatever just for that but I have never done it and never really asked about it.
I know in a solar water panel system with a storage tank that if you don't have a way to circulate that water and a way to store and replace that expanded/hotter with cooler water and a relief valve dumped to where no ones going to get hurt then you have problems.
A black pipe on a roof that is not circulating is going to expand somewhere?
The temp. Numbers posted before for PVC is bothersome for me?
In commercial construction and anything I do at my house/bus? I don't use PVC just cause I have access to and can run copper.
Go to Charlotte pipes website and look at MSDS might just be SDS data sheets and read all that info for yourself.
The MSDS is material safety data sheet.
The SDS is what they have and or working on changing to because it is more globally harmonized with pictures instead of people being able to know the language of the people they are working around???
The temp. Of standard PVC pipe in hot water? I never knew cause I don't use in that application but after looking at it in hot water using? I would not? Cause all of that breaks down into your kitchen sink washing dishes,you taking a shower, you washing your hands before you start prepping food?
I am buy no means in a position to say don't use PVC for that application but after reading the MSDS provided buy the manufacturer and your supplier should have it available for anything you buy from them. Even lowes, Home Depot and the hometown stores.
If they can't then don't buy there stuff.
THAT INFO IS FOR THE BUYER. BUT NOT OFFERED unless you ask for it?
Protect yourself with knowledge before you go cheap?
Eventually cheap in the beginning cost more in the end?
Just made that last line up???
Gotta run.
There is a solar water thread here I am just to tech. Challenged to find it?
Good luck
Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote