Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-21-2015, 08:37 AM   #1
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: AARE
Engine: 3116 Cat 250hp
Rated Cap: Just the two of us.
split air conditioner

Many moons ago there was a post about a splitting a window unit air conditioner. Search doesn't seem to come up with it. Any one remember it or have any info about it? Has any one here done it? I'm not positive it was this forum but I think it was.

Thanks,
Dick

somewhereinusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 08:58 AM   #2
Site Team

Year: 1988
Coachwork: ward
Chassis: international
Engine: dt360a
Rated Cap: 65
you havnt lost your mind, i remember reading it too. but dont remember who.
claydbal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 10:12 PM   #3
Bus Nut

I'm a newbie here so I don't know about that particular thread, but this is kind of a pain in the butt due to the difficulty of correctly discharging and then re-charging these things... unless you're in "screw the environment mode"...

However, I DO know personally of somebody that was able to duct off one of them and that's what I'm seriously considering. Take your same concept, but just chuck the whole A/C under the bus (in a well screened box to keep out dust/bugs) and run one or two 3" dryer hoses out of it. The static pressure these things produce is tiny so you usually need a small inline duct "boost" fan but those are cheap and easy to set up. I haven't set anything in stone for my project yet, but this is what I'm considering doing. It's not massively efficient, but it's cheap, easy, and does cut the noise way down...
taskswap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 12:47 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89
Check out BNO. I know someone (more than one someone) did that with their coach.

For mini splits, you need to look at the size of the "outside" unit. The "inside" unit tends to be small but the outside unit may be too large to fit under a skoolie.

I had looked at mini splits before when I had a nice huge basement to put the outside unit in (the Eagle).

We installed window ACs in the BlueBird. One above the front windshield and one above the rear emergency door. They both look the same from the outside. Since I painted the covers to match the body, it's hard to tell they are there and they cool just fine.

https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 05:44 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Chassis: AARE
Engine: 3116 Cat 250hp
Rated Cap: Just the two of us.
That looks good Lorna, I vaguely remember your post about that. I'll go back and see if I can find it. Does the AC vent just to the roof vent or are all three vents used? I'm assuming that it worked well in the NM heat?
somewhereinusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 11:45 AM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89
No roof vent was used. The front vents you see are the only vents, intake vents (old flashers ducted to the sides, top vent on unit was sealed off with a piece of flashing), and the big vent cover you see in the middle is the exhaust vent (back side of the condenser). Thing works great. It could go colder but it sets at 75F. The other A/C in the rear of the bus is set the same way. The new one blows all the way to the middle of the bus on LO fan. The front one blows to the middle of the bus on LO fan. My only complaint is not really the units themselves but the place. The filters collect up a lot of very fine brown dust. I hate this filthy state.
https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 05:07 PM   #7
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
This is a great thread.
Something to consider for my own bus. Especially in the rear.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 06:36 PM   #8
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
I like those installs.

That's innovation, thinking outside the box. Using something beyond what the manufacture said could be done.

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote