Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-15-2019, 01:20 PM   #61
Bus Geek

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 72
1 watt is 3.412btu. So a 5kw unit is 17060 btu. An 8kw would be 27296 btu, and a 2kw would be 6824 btu.

Old 10-15-2019, 02:31 PM   #62
Bus Crazy

Year: 1975
Coachwork: Chevy
Chassis: 8 window
Engine: 454 LS7
Rated Cap: 24,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokedown View Post
1 watt is 3.412btu. So a 5kw unit is 17060 btu. An 8kw would be 27296 btu, and a 2kw would be 6824 btu.

Sleddgracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 03:09 PM   #63
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Chassis: All American
Engine: 8.3 Cummins ISC
Rated Cap: 75
My bus has a Webasto DBW 2010 heater. 45,000 btu according to google.

I tried turning it on the other day, I am getting power to the control panel and can hear the water pump kick on. Predictably it isn't firing since it's probably been 10+ years since it was used (nonprofit center that owned the bus before me was in the desert so no need for it).

Any good places to buy the complete kit of Webasto service parts (i.e nozzle, filter, etc).
WIbluebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 03:58 PM   #64
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
They do come with their own spearate fuel tank, so I don't see a reason why not.
How big is that tank? I was thinking of just using a 5 gallon jerry can sitting on the ground underneath.
Old 10-15-2019, 04:22 PM   #65
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by musigenesis View Post
How big is that tank? I was thinking of just using a 5 gallon jerry can sitting on the ground underneath.
16" x 16" x 3", 10L.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 07:39 PM   #66
Bus Geek

Quote:
I have a similar unit (5kw) in my bus. I absolutely would (and will, as I'm building another bus!) buy this thing again and would not give a second thought to the high dollar versions.

With that said, I list the following things to consider.

. My 32 ft bus with spray foam in the ceiling and walls, 1" XPS in the floor, and 1" XPS inserts for the windows, the 5kw unit is overkill. We've been in the single digits and it takes about 10 minutes to bring the temperature of the bus into the 70s. That part sounds ok, but....

. In moderate temperatures, the "idle" rate of the heater often produces more heat than you want. With the electronic control pad you can adjust the minimum rate but that may reduce the lifespan of the glow plug and contribute to needing to clean it out sooner. I think the 2KW unit would have a lower minimum, being a physically smaller unit. Currently we crack a window to let some cold air keep us from melting. The 8KW unit likely has a higher minimum heat production.

. The mounting hardware is geared towards mounting to a thin wall, and some engineering will be necessary to mount it through a 2" floor surface. Likely the case with the big name brands too.

. The thermostat is in Celsius. There is a third party guy who makes an aftermarket control board (Afterburner) if you want more fancy or want to integrate it with a PC, Pi, arduino, or control it with your phone.

. I didn't order the kit that came with a remote on/off switch and I wish I had...
This has made me rethink my plans. My living space (with an insulated bulkhead wall behind the driver's seat) will be 26' long with 2" XPS all around including window inserts, and I was thinking of getting a 5kW version. Sounds like the 2kW version would be a better match.
Old 10-15-2019, 07:58 PM   #67
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas Built Bus
Chassis: Freightliner FS65
Engine: Caterpillar 3126E Diesel
Rated Cap: 71 Passenger- 30,000 lbs.
Quote:
This has made me rethink my plans. My living space (with an insulated bulkhead wall behind the driver's seat) will be 26' long with 2" XPS all around including window inserts, and I was thinking of getting a 5kW version. Sounds like the 2kW version would be a better match.
You could always supplement with a second 2kW unit or alternate heat sources.
Native is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 08:09 PM   #68
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Native View Post
You could always supplement with a second 2kW unit or alternate heat sources.
Yeah, I'm thinking of also having a wood stove, and I'm going to have to have a basic electrical heater to keep the bus warm when I'm away. Or do you think the diesel heater can be left running by itself?
Old 10-17-2019, 02:25 PM   #69
Bus Nut

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Lewis
Chassis: Ford E350
Engine: 7.3L Diesel
Rated Cap: 14
Quote:
I'm almost uninsulated (floor only) and the 5kw does the job for me down to low double digits (have not tested in single), so with proper insulation you should do fine with the 2kw.
firebuild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 04:51 PM   #70
Bus Nut

Year: 1980
Coachwork: Crown Coach
Chassis: Supercoach
Engine: Detroit 671T
Gonna jump in on this diesel heater thread with a few questions of my own,

I am looking at a Webasto/Espar/Chineseium diesel coolant heater to install in the trunk, connected to the coolant lines for the rear heater that I removed during subfloor installation.

My intent is to install a new replacement underseat bus heater midship mounted under the bunkbeds, and wired to the house batteries instead of engine/charging batts.

This will enable me to run the diesel fired heater for engine warming and cold start prevention, as well as use the underbed heater to warm the bus on chilly nights.

Problem I have found is that the literature from Webasto/Espar says you must mount the heater below the engines coolant connections.

My 671 is the second lowest thing on the bus behind only the tires themselves, so I can't mount the heater lower than the engine at all, in fact, my preferred mounting location is about 18"-24" higher than the engine.

Anyone know why they want it mounted lower? My guess is to prevent it from getting airbound and I think good purging and maybe a hyvent or bleeder would fix that. Am I missing something else?
Old 10-17-2019, 04:57 PM   #71
Bus Geek

Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie_McCoy View Post

I am looking at a Webasto/Espar/Chineseium diesel coolant heater to install in the trunk, connected to the coolant lines for the rear heater that I removed during subfloor installation.

My intent is to install a new replacement underseat bus heater midship mounted under the bunkbeds, and wired to the house batteries instead of engine/charging batts.

This will enable me to run the diesel fired heater for engine warming and cold start prevention, as well as use the underbed heater to warm the bus on chilly nights.

Problem I have found is that the literature from Webasto/Espar says you must mount the heater below the engines coolant connections.

My 671 is the second lowest thing on the bus behind only the tires themselves, so I can't mount the heater lower than the engine at all, in fact, my preferred mounting location is about 18"-24" higher than the engine.

Anyone know why they want it mounted lower? My guess is to prevent it from getting airbound and I think good purging and maybe a hyvent or bleeder would fix that. Am I missing something else?

I don't have an answer to your questions. Just a suggestion that you take a look on eBay for the Webasto Scholastic. I found mine (45k BTU) for around $500.

Good luck.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 04:58 PM   #72
Almost There

Year: 2005
Coachwork: International CE200
Engine: VT365
Rated Cap: 26
Hi,

Maybe to let the natural convection provide some additional protection. If the heater is running without a circulation pump, it might get pretty hot. Wiht the heater being in a low spot you might get enough heat transport without mechanical help?
brijn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 05:34 PM   #73
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Chassis: GMC
Engine: Cat 3116
Quote:

Not positive but could it be that a gravity feed for the heater is better? I don't know the pump specs that feed the fuel to it but assume it is just a small pump that maybe wouldn't be able to pump muh head pressure.
My 2 cents..make sense?

John
Old 10-18-2019, 06:58 AM   #74
Bus Geek

Year: 98
Coachwork: 1. Corbeil & 2. Thomas
Chassis: 1 ford 1998 e350 4x4 7.3 2 mercedes 2004
Engine: 7.3 powerstroke & MBE906
Having the pump on the lowest position is just best practise.
The webasto 5kw heat in Dory and elfie is able to pump enough head for the floor heat but sure does not like air bubbles. So choose your poison.

I have not seen a Chinese version of the coolant heaters.

For solar application the 5 kW webasto is ideal becausecit draws very little power.

Good luck j
joeblack5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 01:01 PM   #75
Bus Nut

Year: 2008
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner HDX
Engine: CAT C7 300hp w/retarder
Rated Cap: 46 + 1 36,200 lbs
I couldn’t resist posting even though I haven’t read this entire thread yet, because I just ordered my Asian knock-off heater last night. I have been around trucks and trucking for something like 40 years and have been aware of the Webasto heaters and always wanted to work with one. Now I need heat and need it in a hurry. What a valuable resource skooie.net is. I am headed over to the Facebook page for the heater enthusiasts now.
wrenchtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 01:28 PM   #76
Bus Crazy

Chassis: Freightliner FS-65
Engine: 7.2L Cat 3126 turbo diesel
Rated Cap: 71 passenger 30,000 gvwr
Quote:

Hot water rises -- every engine heater I've seen needs to be mounted at the lowest part of the engines cooling system for the heated water to circulate
and warm the engine.
banman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 01:47 PM   #77
Bus Geek

Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by banman View Post
Hot water rises -- every engine heater I've seen needs to be mounted at the lowest part of the engines cooling system for the heated water to circulate
and warm the engine.
I have a pump that circulates the coolant.

My Webasto came out of a bus and was mounted well above the lowest point in the cooling system.

If you are relying on convection to circulate the coolant then mounting it at the lowest point in your cooling system makes sense. Having a coolant pump should allow you to mount your heater at any point in the bus.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 04:26 PM   #78
Bus Crazy

Chassis: Freightliner FS-65
Engine: 7.2L Cat 3126 turbo diesel
Rated Cap: 71 passenger 30,000 gvwr
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
I have a pump that circulates the coolant.

Ah, gotcha. Nice setup...
My Webasto came out of a bus and was mounted well above the lowest point in the cooling system.

If you are relying on convection to circulate the coolant then mounting it at the lowest point in your cooling system makes sense. Having a coolant pump should allow you to mount your heater at any point in the bus.
agreed.....
banman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 06:02 PM   #79
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: Blue Bird TC RE 3904, Flat Nose, 40', 277" wh base
Engine: 8.3L Cummins ISC 260hp, MT643, 4.44 rear
Rated Cap: 84 pax or 1 RV; 33,000lbs
Quote:
The price difference here is more like $0.20 per gallon.

In PA I'd have to do the math and then of course compare that to the cost to... go somewhere warmer
PA has some stupid prices on fuel; both gasoline and diesel. It must be for those streets paved of gold. Not a pot hole in sight... Oh wait, that damn sure isn't it.

I buy my on-road diesel (Golf TDi) in MD for about the same as the PA off road diesel. I don't know the delta between on and off road here in MD but I want to say that PA has more than a 20 cent difference.
Brewerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 06:07 PM   #80
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: Blue Bird TC RE 3904, Flat Nose, 40', 277" wh base
Engine: 8.3L Cummins ISC 260hp, MT643, 4.44 rear
Rated Cap: 84 pax or 1 RV; 33,000lbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
I asked at another station where all of the farmers get theirs. I was told that they buy road diesel and file for a refund at the end of the year.

How available have you found it?
Wow, you guys suck. Carrol Fuels carries it in MD. Not sure if I've seen it at other stations or not. The pump will not turn on without going inside. I tried when I first got the VW. "Oops I didn't notice" That plan was thwarted.

Sheetz carries off-road in south central PA.
Brewerbob is offline   Reply With Quote